Scumback SA1275HP & Emience Wizard

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gec78221, Nov 29, 2005.

1. gec78221

gec78221 Supporting Member

Has anybody ever compared these two speakers? What were your thoughts?

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I have played Scumbacks and Wizards. I'm not sure which model scumbacks they were, but they sounded like bright greenbacks to me.

I had a quad of wizards in a 4x12. I sent them back because they farted out on the C, C#, D, and D# notes. Also the wizards sounded like a half cocked wah or something with artificial mids. I was warned ahead of time about Eminence and didn't listen. Buyer beware.

3. Boogs

Boogs Member

Haven't played the Scumbacks, but the Wizards are warm, loud, and supertight in the low end. My favorite speakers all around, and they are especially popular among people who break them in properly. (Emi's start out a little stiffer)

David

4. clarkram

clarkram Member

I have a SA 12 75HP in a Bob Burt 1x12. Haven't tried a wizard, but I did some side by side a/b comparisons with a 60 watt Eminence in a Tone King 1x12 combo.

I don't know how much of the sound difference was attributed to the speakers or the cabs, but I found the SA 12 75HP to have a smoother sound, especially in the mids, and both had good tight bass.

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

:D

6. Boogs

Boogs Member

What?!?!?! All I said was "break them in", I didn't mean anything! :confused:

:D

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I have 2 Wizards.. No breaking in required. Just play guitar thru them . They sound most similar to my 1970's Celestion 30 watt Blackbacks . They're great sounding speakers . No cocked wah stuff at all. Enjoy! ERIC

8. Boogs

Boogs Member

I agree, and they seem to sound good with everything I can throw at them.

BTW, that's two speakers you and I both have and like (C-Rex, and Wizard) that I have felt needed a good kicking, and you have had sound good right out of the box. It's not fair... to my neighbors, that is. ;)

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey there, do you live in an apartment or condo? IF so , that certainly is the difference, as I live in a house with a basement and I had built a studio in my basement. My speakers get used loudly from day 1! I remember back in my apt. days though , and I used to get written up by the neighbors all the time and surely couldn't play very loud!! ERIC

10. Boogs

Boogs Member

I live in a rowhouse... so sort of in between. ;)

I have a "breaking in routine", where I put the speaker/cab in a room in the back (that's not connected to the adjacent house) and pound it with Bach's Cello Suites at near-overdrive volume. Then I play it as loud as I can get away with for a week. (medium-high volume)

...then I'm a very nice neighbor again. :)

11. Ironman

Ironman Member

haven't played through any Scumbacks but I will vouch for the Wizards. I have them in a 4x12 and absolutely love them. I prefer them over the G12H30 Anniv's too...and I'm a big Celestion fan. They sound similar to the G12H30 Anniv. but I like the high end response a bit more. They have a wonderful fat snappy low end that I just love. No bad experiences with them here. Just great tone, oh and they're the loudest speaker I've played through too, great sensitivity.

12. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

Hey guys ... Great comments on the Eminence Wizards.

I have been struggling as I research speakers for a 2x12 cab that I am having built. The one issue I have heard about the Wizards are they can be prone to "cone cry" because if the thin cone. Of course this also makes them responsive.

A buddy of mine loves the "Red, White & Blues" ... stiffer cone, no cone cry issue but some have said that the speaker is not as "alive" as the Wizards.

Any one try both? any comments?

13. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The Wizards are great and sound real nice with a Governor in a 2x12 cabinet. The speaker seemed real bright at first but it has seemed to mellow a touch but can still get bright in a hurry if your not careful. This speaker also sounds great in a Peavey Classic 30, great breakup at higher volumes, very similar to the anniversary.