Scumback speaker in a Tweed Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fast ricky love, Jul 2, 2006.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

My GAS finally got the best of me and I ordered a Clark Beaufort Deluxe w/reverb. Mike is going to mod some of the coupling caps so it'll work better with my humbucker guitars.

Anyway, I opted to get the amp w/o the Cele Blue since I have an extra great sounding Scumback sitting around...

Would you guys recommend that speaker or should I just pony up for the Blue? What would the difference be? I've never played a Blue... thanks!

2. Wayne8

Wayne8 Member

Not an answer to your question but...

I've been contemplating a Tweed Beaufort Reverb. You mean it should be voiced for either single coils or hums, it doesn't sound good with both at the same time?

3. fast ricky love

The bass can get a bit flubby with humbuckers in the stock design... it sounds great as is, but I pretty much only play Les Pauls w/buckers, so I figured I'd get it tweeked a bit.

4. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

frl, which model of scumback are you talking about?

If you're talking about the H30 75hz version, I think that will be a fantastic speaker for a tweed deluxe.

The Scumback will have more headroom and more bass, and be more punchy than a blue. They are both very articulate speakers, but the Scumback will stay more articulate when you're cranking up the amp.

I think it's somewhat a question of personal taste, but it's also a question of how you plan to use the amp. Are you recording with it or using it live more often? How far up do you usually set the controls?

Without getting into too many specifics, I think both of those speakers are FANTASTIC choices for a deluxe, and I could be completely happy with either one! If it were my choice, I'd go with the Scumback H30 as I think it imparts a bit less of it's own character into the tone than a Blue does... Plus you already have it on hand, so I say drop it in the amp, crank it up, and never look back!

5. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

What my esteemed Allman Bros. fan said. The H75 will sound fantastic. They handle fender style amps VERY well.

6. fast ricky love

You guys rock! It is the H30 75hz version, but with the larger dust cap for slightly less bright highs. I'll stick with the plan then, thanks!! Now I just gotta wait a month...

7. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

;)

frl, that speaker will sound GREAT in your Deluxe...

8. fast ricky love

I'm sooo anxious for this amp!!! Cheers bro :)

9. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking of replacing the Jensen RI P12R in my L'il Dawg D-Lux 5E3 clone. I'd initially considered a Weber 12A125 or 12A125A -- how would the Scumback compare? I'm looking for a slightly warmer sound -- the amp can get pretty bright (even on the normal channel.) Thanks.

10. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

The weber's are modeled after Jensen correct? Sorry, I'm not up on those. The scumback is essentially a good sounding old G12H. Much warmer, and sweeter sounding than the current Chinese made G12H Anniversary.

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

CQ,

Weber describes the 12A125 as bright, so I don't think you want that one. The 12A125A is "woody, reedy" I don't know what that is??

The 12A125O is "warm" and the 12A125S "warmer."

I've never had the opportunity to try a Scumback.

12. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Crazyquilt, the two Webers you mention would NOT be what I'd recommend if you're not looking for a bright speaker. I've got a 12A125A on hand right now that I picked up to try out in a Champ-style amp that I built. It's a very vocal, throaty sounding speaker that gets pretty raunchy and gritty when the amps starts to sweat through it. I could definitely see guys digging it with the right amp, but it's not at all what I'd consider to be a 'warm' sounding speaker, and it's not what I was looking for.

The Scumback SA-12-75 (H30), to me, is a warm speaker. Articulate and warm. Chimey but never harsh in the upper registers. Yup. That's about it.

If you want to try a 12A125A to hear for yourself, the one I've got is in brand-new condition, and you can have it for a very fair price. PM me if interested.

13. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Celestion Heritage G12M in my Swart right now. I'm letting it break in some more, then I'm going to compare it to the stock Mojotone more directly -- if I prefer the Mojotone, I could try the G12M in the D-lux; I believe that's a closer match to the G12H. IIRC, the resonant frequency is a little higher, resulting in a slightly brighter sound.