Scumback Speaker Tone Fest clips (Scumbacks, Celestions, Alien, Eminence)

57special

Silver Supporting Member
My choices are;
-#20 cool, old sound, creamy. Lots of character.

-#15 brighter, like medium grit sandpaper, but possibly more useful than #20. More of an all rounder.

- #5 I'm suspicious of this choice, as i might just be picking the riff, and not the speaker. This is the only clip like this. Wish it was played with the same riff as the above, but that is monday morning quarterbacking. Lots of character.

- #6 i liked it better than any other of the same riffs 6-12 and 4?, but still liked it less than the above.

I've probably picked all the Eminences and RI GB's , right?:(

Matt Gordon

Originally posted by 57special
My choices are;
-#20 cool, old sound, creamy. Lots of character.

-#15 brighter, like medium grit sandpaper, but possibly more useful than #20. More of an all rounder.

- #5 I'm suspicious of this choice, as i might just be picking the riff, and not the speaker. This is the only clip like this. Wish it was played with the same riff as the above, but that is monday morning quarterbacking. Lots of character.

- #6 i liked it better than any other of the same riffs 6-12 and 4?, but still liked it less than the above.

I've probably picked all the Eminences and RI GB's , right?:(
I prolly picked the speakers I've dogged in the past, which will cause me to rethink my so-called preferences! :(

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Originally posted by Matt Gordon
I prolly picked the speakers I've dogged in the past, which will cause me to rethink my so-called preferences! :(
Matt - I wouldn't rethink a single thing based on these clips (or just about any others). There's simply nothing like hearing them in person and more importantly--feeling how they respond.

Matt Gordon

Originally posted by Scumbag
Matt, I tried to email you, but it got bounced back as a mail server/delivery error. Email me about the SA12M's, and whatever questions you have.
Sorry bout that. I didn't want to bother you guys too bad, just wonder availability for future reference. Anyway, I kind of like 10 aslo. My picks so far are 4, 8, and 10. Most are great with just a little different color, but there are some Emi's in there. I can hear that overly thick midrange.

Mr. dB

I only listened once, in order, and only took the briefest of notes.

1, 3, 8, 9, 11, 14, 16, 17, and 27 were all various shades of "too dark for my taste". 21 and 29 had a middy/nasally coloration that was kind of interesting. The rest I would consider decent, useable tones, almost interchangable, or within a tone control tweak.

I also think that the smaller amp sounded "bigger" on tape. :)

57special

Silver Supporting Member
was it just me , or wasn't # 26 really tinny and lacking bass. Sounded almost like an effect. Wonder what it was?

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Yup, that describes some of the first few clips too, IMO. They're just a different variety of 'nasal, in a box' kind of tone. Yet...in the right context, even tones like that can really work. I'm thinking of that little lead part during the intro to the Eagles' Victim of Love.

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Hated 1,2,3,13,15,17,19,20,26...thehowever all of them had that annoying high frequency whistle in it.

pluto

I listened to the clips very briefly. 15, 18, and 20 were the three that stood out for me.

wilder

I like #7, #15, and #5 in that order. #15 sounds like one of my own rigs, but I won't say which. I'll go back and read the rest of the thread now as I didn't want my judgement clouded.

Chris

zeppo

15, 13 and 12 all sound great to me for different reasons. Thanks a lot for doing this,
h.

hasserl

Kudos to Jim, Dan Andy and all who participated, especially Jim who gathered and organized all of this. Great job guys, thank you very much!

I split the clips into three different groups that seemed to go together, mostly because the riffs were similiar. Of those three groups I then whittled it down to my favorites and I arrived with #5 from the first group, #7 from the second group and #15 & 24 from the third group; with #24 maybe being my favorite of all, but close to 15. #7 is quite a different sound all toghether, but very nice.

I would guess that 5 & 7 are the plexi and 15 & 24 are the 65.

But I didn't hate any of them, though some I preffered less than others, I could probably be happy with just about any of them.

Again, great job and thank you. I look forward to the unveiling!

tiltrite

#13:dude for big pure rock tone. Very immediate and clear. made lots of the other clips sound somewhat "blanketed."

#21 I liked this one because it reminded me of an early zep tone that I'd like to set in a rock mix. It didn't move me as much as #13, but it had a nice compressed, stressed-out squishiness that I liked a lot.

eric102673

My first listen through and bouncing back and forth on a cuple, I was digging 15, 13 and 27 for different reasons. There were others whose tones I'd probably use, but these sounded the most appealing to me at through my speakers here. I was surprised how boxy and congested some of the clips sounded. I may have to dounload a set and burn a CD to check them out elsewhere.

I'll be curious to see how this all plays out.

-e.

Matt Gordon

Originally posted by eric102673
My first listen through and bouncing back and forth on a cuple, I was digging 15, 13 and 27 for different reasons. There were others whose tones I'd probably use, but these sounded the most appealing to me at through my speakers here. I was surprised how boxy and congested some of the clips sounded. I may have to dounload a set and burn a CD to check them out elsewhere.

I'll be curious to see how this all plays out.

-e.
Ten days baby. That's a long time.:p

Trending Topics