Scumbag S-12H-55 : 65 Amps London Revelation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Swampash, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Swampash

Swampash Member

I have a 65 Amps London combo that sounds stellar with it's Celestion Blue and G12H30. Being open back, naturally, the bass was not as robust as if it were closed-back. That's OK, as I really like the swirlly-open sound the open back provides. Dan with 65 Amps said that the closed back cab they offer had more bass, but was more directional.

I like the sound of the older Celestions, so when Jim cloned them and came out with his Scumbacks, it occured to me that a 55hz cone Scumback might just add enough bass to give the combo some more bottom, without loosing what I like about open backed speakers.

I had asked the question here to see if anyone else had done it, talked to Jim about it, and decided to go for it.

Yowwzah! A home-run! :dude

I like the combo even better. Both the "color" channel and the trem channel have more character than before (an unexpected side benefit!). The trem channel, in particular has gotten even more guts and girth. It has caused the channels to be even more distinct/different from each other, in a really good way.

The Scumback hasn't had days of break-in time, but despite that, still has that "smooth" character that the more modern (I've not heard the newest reissues) Celestions lack...they just sound "harder", somehow, to my ears.

Well, that's it...the 55hz cone in the open backed cab (with a blue) is a winner for me. Of course, YMMV, etc.

2. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

SWEET!!!! Jim's speakers rule. can't wait for mine to get here.

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Would that mint be a Junior by any chance? :p

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Doh!!!!!!

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Another pissed off client...just what I need. LOL :D

Well, Don, happy to know that my speaker recommendation is working for you. Gotta thank Jemlite for doing some testing as well, so it's all good.

I was informed today that the Pre Rola 20 watt 003 cone is packed, got a DHL tracking # and is on it's way here. Should be a fine tone taste test this Saturday. I'll let you know when the other speakers come in. Thanks for the mini review!

6. studio8000

studio8000 Member

wow, that sounds really interesting, i may have to try it out! thanks for the report!

7. Swampash

Swampash Member

This is why I asked you if you had a combo on the ERT33 v. 65Amps thread. :cool:

I decided that it would be better off having a thread of it's own, so that more people could have a chance to see it.

BTW, Thanks to Jemlite for his reply to my initial questions about this when I was making-up my mind. :)

8. studio8000

studio8000 Member

ahh, apologies, i must have missed that question. i will have to take a look at the website for the speakers.

9. Swampash

Swampash Member

No apology required. Like I said, I just decided that more people [Dave LaPort, etc.] might see the comments in a thread specific to the speaker.

Additionally, I hadn't seen any reviews on the 55hz cone Scumback, mixed with anything other than his (Scumbag's) 75hz cone (except Jemlite's). Jim - Scumbag - has really done something special here, and with the Emmenince speaker thread approaching 111,000 views :eek: I thought there might be some interest in replacement speakers. :p

10. eric102673

eric102673 Member

I'd be curious when they start making their way into the world, what folks think of the Scumbacks in the 65 Amps Cab, as opposed to the combo? Or for that matter various types of cabs by different makers. These speakers could be like the next Snake Oil Strings around these parts.

-e.

11. will132

will132 Member

I put two SA12-55's in my Bogner cab and love it. I sent off my CL80 that had a tear to get the cone replaced with the 75hz and plan on mixing the two when I get it back.

12. michael.e

michael.e Member

Anybody have any thoughts on putting a pair of Jim's 55's with a pair of Jim's 75's in an "X" pattern? I play both Strats and HB's so I would like to cover both areas of sonic goodness. M.E.

13. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I recall Scumbag (Jimi) saying that's what he is using in his demo cab, and there are a few others that have done it.

Nothing but good reports in those earlier posts. I think it sounds like a good idea.

14. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Right on Swampy, glad it worked out for ya!

I've been telling everyone... That speaker combo is the shizzle-nizzle in a 212 open back cab. It tightens it up, and adds punch. Night and day from a Celestion G12H Anniversery in there with the Blue. It brings the frequencies down into the lower mids, and kinda dries things out so you can feel the amp more.

I've been planning on buying a good EL84 amp next, and the 65 London is at the top of the list... I know one thing for sure, there will be at least one ScumG12h55 in the cab for it. :dude