Scumnico, Celestion Blue, WGS Black and Blue - any shootout videos/audio clips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 72Telecaster, Jan 28, 2012.

1. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

Looking to toss a nice alnico in my AC15C1 and have come across these 3. I'd love to hear some comparisons to see if there are marked differences in the tone between them...any shootouts out there with any combination of these 3 in Vox(ey) amps?

2. guitarfor1

guitarfor1 Member

Agreed, want shootout!

3. newking70

newking70 Member

4. Rocknhorse1

Rocknhorse1 Member

The mic placement in this video is terrible IMO, and doesn't do any of these speakers justice. All you are hearing is the dust cap, which can be bright. Take this video with a grain of salt.

5. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

Pretty cool of Rivera to do something like this. Hats off and appreciated!!

Irrespective of Mic placement- I now have a frame of reference in comparison to a few thousand dollars worth of speakers that I didn't have before.

as far as tones- The Canis Major, Red Fang, and Blackbird sounded killer..In fact they all were pretty good except The Black Mountain sounded like a blanket was over the grill.

The Gold was my fav on the Alnico side.

The M75 Ceramic 65 was also a great tone.

....Lookin at the brighter side.

6. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Agreed that the BMW sounded bad. The Eminece Lynch sounded really anemic, also.

7. Rocknhorse1

Rocknhorse1 Member

I wasn't trying to take away from the efforts of those who made the video. I was pointing out something that I noticed.
    And yes, hats off to Rivera.

8. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

You also might want to think about the Eminence EJ1250, it's supposed to be out soon. I haven't found any type of sound clip of it, yet.

9. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

Tracked down a Scumnico from a member here - installing it end of this week. He said it was a bit more mellow than the Blue which might be nice as the Tele/Vox setup can get bright.

10. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

I have a Canis Major and do like the way it sounds. Mine still needs to be broken in. but does sound good with BF Fenders.

11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Great idea...but no clean tones? Jeez that matters too, at least as much. But anyways, it was still a great idea and cool of them to do that. Loved the Cannis Major and just about all the ceramic speakers. The V30 sounds great to me, but so did the Scumback M75 and even the G12T75 in that "dirty only" context (but I had one in a cab I bought once, and it was just useless for cleaner sounds at least in the amps I tried it with).

12. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

I also really appreciate the folks at Rivera for doing that video. Certainly helps to get a general idea of how those speakers sound.

I keep toying with the idea of getting a Celestion Blue to replace the Canis Major, but there is something about that hemp cone with the alnico in a BF Fender that sounds great.

I actually had it hooked up with a tweed Fender clone and it sounded great with that as well.

I'm going to really start working it to get it to break in some more. I'm hoping it will just keep getting sweeter with time.

I also lucked out on this. I got it from GC a few years back. I think they had it listed incorrectly for I only paid $135 shipped to my door. Once I played it, I hopped on and went to order another, but the price was changed to $269.

13. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I have had all three at the same time.

Blue and WGS are extremely close - interchangeable.
    Scuminico is indeed more mellow. Paired well with a deluxe reverb

14. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Very cool... agree with Leonc though... clean (but loud) is where it's at for speaker comparisons in my world.