Scumnico vs. Weber Silver Bell

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by danipman, May 22, 2008.

1. danipman

danipman Member

Can anyone contrast the differences between these two ALNICO speakers? I understand they are both made by Ted Weber

2. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

You're getting Weber's mixed up. They are built by Ted Weber, not Gerald (no relation AFAIK).

3. danipman

danipman Member

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

idk.... I've had a weber silver bell (ceramic) sitting in my closet for the last 6 months. I got it with the intention of also picking up an alnico blue dog from Ted. Thus far I just haven't got around to ordering the alnico, so my AC30 has been running on the stock speakers.

5. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

Two big differences -- Jim uses 10% neodymium tipped magnet. Jim uses the H75 cone.

I'd ask Jim for detailed sonic differences.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I sold my Weber Silver Bell alnico. It sounded dull and boring compared to a Blue, not as warm and smooth as a Tone Tubby. I got a real 67 Celestion Silver alnico and loved that lively sparkely, fat bottom, smooth as blue but not as loud. Got some Scumnicos and they sound just like the old Silver from 67.

7. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Good to know! I love my Celly vox silvers, but they are disintegrating a bit and I never have reconed speaker sound/feel same as old. If new Scums sound/feel old...I am glad.

DS

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

been using a scumnico w/ my sommatone roaring 40 (el84), and man, awesome awesome speaker! fat thick middle that w/ my 40's presence knob really gets a supremely sweet sparkle. thumbs up!!!