SCXD appreciating?

While the modeling aspect of the Super Champ XD might put it in a different forum, the tubes might be the reason it's such a cool little amp. I've noticed that the used market on this guy hasn't seemed to go down since the X2 cane out. In fact, used prices are up. This is not the norm for a small practice amp, especially one with modeling.... Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ES330

Yeah, the SCXD had better voices...
I've no idea why Fender voiced the X2 the way it did ???

Just one of life's great mysteries... ????

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member
Fender changed manufacturing facilities for the X2 and saved money by using the Mustang chip. I agree the XD voices are better, I can just plug and play and it's great. The editing ability of the X2 is cool, and I'm sure you could get pretty close to the XD by tweaking the X2. I have a great collection of amps, but if my XD dies I'll scour the earth to find another. I bought mine used for $180 and it's by far the best-bang-for-the-buck amp money I've ever spent (OK...it's a tie with my YBA-1). I might buy a couple more just to have as spares...

Last edited:
I feel ya, mine was practically brand new with foot switch delivered to my door for $180. Great amp! I really like the jazz flavor (#15 or #16??) every now & then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksandvik

I have a gig tonight with a funk/soul band at a restaurant, I know they will complain about volume levels so SCXD comes to rescue as I could crank that one pretty high so the tubes will sing.

rgee27

I have a gig tonight with a funk/soul band at a restaurant, I know they will complain about volume levels so SCXD comes to rescue as I could crank that one pretty high so the tubes will sing.
Are these amps loud enough to gig with? What about clean headroom especially since you are in a funk band? I tried a SCX2 yesterday and the volume level seemed low. I had the volume control #2 dimed and couldn't get a clean tone that was anything near a level that I could use with other players.

Chicago Slim

I use my SCXD more than my other amps. The size weight and volume work for 90% of what I do. I have replaced the stock speaker with a more efficient Eminence Legend 105 (spl 98). That has doubled the volume and clean headroom. I use it for indoor gigs up to 200 people. I play clean most of the time as I front a rockabilly group, praise team, music director at church, and also teach guitar. I play out a couple times a week, and have been using a SCXD for over three years. The only time I use a larger amp, is for outdoor shows.

There was a time when I played in a band with a drummer, who would Mic his drums, in his livingroom. I used to wear earplugs, and stand in a spare bedroom when I played. The SCXD wouldn't have been loud enough for that. YMMV.

mude

Silver Supporting Member
When the XD2 came out, I bought a second SCXD (original) because I wanted to make sure I had access to the original version in case mine crapped out for some reason. One is stock and the other has a Rajun Cajun in it.

I get tempted by all the fun stuff out there and consider justifying getting a bigger/more power amp. But really, I can just throw a mic in front of it (maybe could even bring both of them!). Can also run it through a 2x12 cab if needed, but have never actually done it live yet.

I stumbled upon pushing the front end of the SCXD pretty hard with a clean boost or compressor. Gives me a feel and set of tones that i really like.

Definitely some of the best money I have spent for my purposes.

Evan.

motokev

Best low volume tube tone versatile practice amp IMO!

For SURE........:aok

I have two SC XDs
I've notice that one sounds better than the other. One sounds extremely good and stands out. The other is slightly different in the worse direction. I wonder if its one of the most recent XDs where they used the same chip as the X2.

Just speculating.......

another thingy, on this "worse" XD the MODEL dial is different. The Models are located differently.

Hmmmm, need to look into this more.....
see if I can find a DATE on each:dunno

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I'll haul mine out when people come over sometimes. 12" cab, TO-20 OT, JJ6V6S and a nice 12ax7. After all these years it's still a great sounding amp. I build a head cab for one and it rocked.

ksandvik

Are these amps loud enough to gig with? What about clean headroom especially since you are in a funk band? I tried a SCX2 yesterday and the volume level seemed low. I had the volume control #2 dimed and couldn't get a clean tone that was anything near a level that I could use with other players.
For restaurant and lower volume gigs you could easily be heard with a band. For louder cases it's a hit and miss unless you mike the amp with PA support.

The trick is to replace the default speaker with one that has a higher SPL level and will not fart at max volume, Ragin Cajun or something similar.

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
It is surprising the price about the used price going up. I haven't actually seen that myself, but I haven't been looking specifically for it. From what I've seen by chance the price stay the same, which can also be surprising.

As far as the voices between the SCXD and SCX2, having owned both, my preference is the SCX2. The tweed Deluxe, Jazzmaster, clean Princeton, tweed Bassman are all good improvements/additions to me.

As for channel 1, they sounded pretty much the same to me. And I use channel 1 most of the time anyways.

I have had the SCX2 for about 3 months and it just aint doin it for me so i bought a THR10x.
Many say the SCXD sounds better than the X2? could be but since they dont make em anymore i just went with the yamaha THR

bosstone

I have had many, many amps including, Fenders, Supros, Boogies, Marshalls, Ampegs from the early 60s through 2010. The SCXD that I got so new that the previous owner hadn't taken the tags off it yet, for $200.00 has been one of the most pleasant suprises I have ever had in an amp. In my attempt to always improve things, I tried one of my favorite 10" speakers, the Celestion G10S 50 but found it was much too dark in that amp and then an Eminence Ramrod that had more volume and tighter bass but I found tiring on my ears. I went back to the stock speaker and realized that Fender had made a good choice originally. If I really needed more loudness, I would consider a more efficient speaker but I am not convinced that it would really sound much better. I have tried several distortion pedals with it with great results but personally don't find that the amp likes to be pusher hard and that it isn't necessary to do so.

Rockerduck

I've seen used XD's going for $150 and used X2's for $250. I'd say the XD's price is stable in that price range.