SCXD & Ragin' Cajun - Other Choices?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott57, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Scott57

Scott57 Member

I've been happy with the stock speaker but I've heard so much talk about how a Ragin' Cajun improves the sound that I feel like I'm missing something if I don't do it. So this week I'm going to take the plunge and do it. I've never 'modded' an amp before but it looks like a faily simple procedure. The Ragin' Cajun seems to be the popular choice by quite a margin but I'd like to know if anyone has tried something else and what they thought of the results.

2. biggreen

biggreen Member

I did the RC upgrade because that seemed to be the most recomended speaker. I wonder why though, is there someone out there that tried all the options and found this to be the definitive speaker for this amp?

If I did it again I think I would probably go for vintage Fender style replacement speaker like an Alnico Weber 10S. I have an 8" version that i am really fond of and it would give the SCXD a more vintage vibe than the RC.

3. Electric I

Electric I Member

Had a cajun in my scxd & since I'm after marshall tones I wasn't completely happy.

So after some comparing I went with an emi ramrod & shazam. Life is good again.

4. shibby

shibby Member

ramrod? interesting. how's it sound in the voice 8 mode? about how the 1st channel? still nice cleans?

5. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Supporting Member

I tried both the Ragin Cajun, and the copperhead.....Very similar, the copperhead does a great job, a little more mids....and a little smaller/lighter. It was a toss up. I went back and forth and kept the RC......

6. Rhizopus

Rhizopus Member

the idea behind people putting RC is that the amp is basically a modelling unit. So it's more sensible to put in a more 'neutral' or hifi speaker, whatever you call it, to accomodate different kinds of amp it tried to simulate.

So if you put in a speaker that already have a special character like Alnico Weber 10S, that is basically narrowing the tone of the modelling to the vintage sound. Nothing wrong with it, if you intend to use the amp for that purpose only. Likewise for the ramrod

7. Griz

Griz Member

Assuming that you don't want to use an extension speaker enclosure, your options are a bit limited as there are fewer different 10's to try, as compared with 12's.

Otherwise, heck, just get a nice 1x12 cab. The SCXD sounds huge through a good 1x12.
    :dude

8. presence

presence Member

How about the new Celestion G10 Greenback?