SCXD vs PRRI vs Blues Jr... best for gigging

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Webfoot, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Which works best for gigging (include mods if you use them). I would like to be in the 'around 15 watt' camp.

Need respectable loud enough on stage. Mic if needed more. Would use amp clean and pedals like bb preamp.

Thanks.

2. sqadan

sqadan Member

I would stick with the PRRI or Blues Jr.... With pedals the PRRI would be my choice, the Blues Jr. without.

I'm not fond of solid state / hybrid amps for live performance so the Super Champ XD would not be on the list.

3. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

4. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I like the sound of the PRRI alot. Do you think you can gig with one?

5. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I think it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a pedal platform, a plug in and go amp, or a toolbox amp with different sounds? PRRI's are great with pedals, Blues Jr's are great for plugging a guitar in, turn up and wail, and SCXD's work great for a all in one package- clean sounds, distortion and effects. The SCXD needs a more efficient speaker if you gig with it unless it's a really low volume gig.

6. ptecat

ptecat Member

A lot of people gig with Blues Juniors (ask any experienced sound man). A very popular amp despite its shortcomings. Many rock and blues players use them because they are relatively cheap/used and versatile. Just mic and go.

The PRRI should make its mark as Fender should sell a bunch as well. This amp has great tone and as mentioned earlier loves pedals. It may be more sturdy as the tube sockets are bolted to the chassis and not directly attached to the PCB (no PC board flexing when you change tubes).

I have never played an SCXD so no comment.

7. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Yep... out of the box you're probably best off with the PRRI. Check out the Jim Campilongo demo video Fender has up no YouTube. If that doesn't put you over the edge, then you're missing a screw.

8. CodeTitan

CodeTitan Member

The PRRI is probably the better sounding amp of those three, but If you need clean headroom, the Blues Jr. would be a better choice. You won't be able to get clean at gig level on the PRRI.

9. In Tune

In Tune Member

You may want to wait a short time to hear the verdict on the new fender Deluxe Vintage Modified,,,,,Looks to be very promising,,,,,IMO.

10. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Member

I agree it should be a great amp, but it's also rated at 40 watts.

11. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Blues Junior with some mods I have the Billm Tone stack and power supply stiffening mods installed, also good tubes and speaker make this amp totally gig worthy, just started using all JJ tubes ECC83S and JJ EL84 power tubes into a Celestion G12H30. I use Barber pedals into the BJ with the amp slightly pushed clean toneand there is plenty of volume on tap...at least in my situation there is!

12. Presc

Presc Member

I would ignore the SCXD for gigging purposes. I sat in on a jam session where someone was using the SCXD (I had brought my DRRI). We actually switched rigs for a bit - the SCXD just sounded so thin and tiny and you really need to push the volume all the way.

The Blues Jr. can definitely hang volume-wise but to my ears in stock form it doesn't sparkle like a proper Fender on the cleans and the dirt is a bit ragged. Small cab also makes it sound kind of boxy. But it's cheap and it will definitely work.

I really enjoy my DRRI...have not played the PRRI yet. But you might as well look at the DRRI, it's 22W but that's not a big dif over 15 in terms of sheer volume. Just gets a bit of extra headroom over most 15-watters and you get an additional channel over the PRRI plus a bigger cab and 12" speaker.