SD-1 Mods: Keeley/Analogman/Indyguitarist/Monte Allums??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Feb 24, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey all,

I picked up an SD-1 used, fairly cheap, and wanted to either mod it myself, or have it modded. I was hoping some of you could respond with your thoughts on the various mods available from the various modd-ers.

I also have a ts-9 which i know i will send to analogman to have a silver mod done, so i am looking for something a little different for the sd-1.

Any thoughts on the quality/cost/tone comparisons?

Brian

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

You'll love the silver mod for the TS. I have a SD1 silver from him that I use. I think all of the others you mentioned have different sounding mods. I've done my own "compilation" mod to one, because I wanted a different sounding one from the silver too. I picked and chose from lists of mods I found online, using sockets to try different components here and there.

It doesn't hurt to have two tube screamers running, even if they are voiced very similar. I use my modded one for rythmn, and I still like the AM one the best, so I use it for leads. It excels at this!

3. trumpus

Thats the plan! I wanted to use the Silver for leads and the modded sd-1 for chunkier rhytm stuff - i also have a Timmy and FD2 in the mix as well...

Brian

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

That's it! I sold my FD2 after playing the AM Silver. What I want, and will get eventually is the Maxon OD9 Silver that Mike sells. Just because it has true bypass! I'll get another Fulldrive, the MOSFET one eventually. But I'm gonna try a couple others first; the Zendrive, a Gainster, etc.

With tone, it's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase!! :)

5. royd

royd Member

I just sold my Allums modded SD-1... and I miss it already

6. trumpus

Well, I modded my SD-1 today with the 808-plus kit from Monte Allums.

I think it sounds significantly better. I didn't swap out the resistor for added gain, so it has a nice range of tones, from boost to singing overdrive. Flatter mids and fuller bass than the stock pedal.

Definately worth the $42 investment ($20 for the pedal used, and $22 for the mod kit, complete with desolder braid and solder!)

Brian

7. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I've played the A-man and the Keeley and prefer the Keeley I think it is much more versatile and better sounding. You get two chips and can toggle two different settings so its like four pedals in one! The other thing I like about the Keeley is it's dead quiet. What else could you ask for?

8. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey people,

I just got my Analogman SD-1/808/push/pull brown modded pedal last week. I found it to be a great sounding pedal!!! It's a lot quieter, better tone control range, the overdrive is much smoother now. Very much like a Tube Screamer in its voicing. I can pull the level knob up to get the asymetrical clipping (Boss). It seems to have more volume and a more agressive bite to it. With the level knob down, it's the symetrical clipping (Ibanez) of a Tubescreamer. An overdrive with 2 slightly different voicings. Very cool overdrive pedal modification on a cheap Boss overdrive pedal that a lot of people don't really like.

Guitar George

9. jpagey

jpagey Member

Same here.