SD antiquities in a 335?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sabbath90, Aug 2, 2006.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

anyone try antiquities in their 335? how do you like them? i need a set of pickups for mine, and was thinking about trying a set.

2. Robertito

Robertito Member

I have a set, and they're my favorite. I like the Seth Lovers, too, but the Antiquities sound better to me.

3. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I played a reissue Dot Neck 335 with Antiquity pickups at a gig a while back and it sounded great.

4. stekks

stekks Member

+1 They sound great! I've always loved them in my Les Paul. A friend of mine has a Heritage 355 with antiquities and it sounds killer!

5. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

+1. Big improvement IMO in my reissue 335. I found the Gibson 57 classics to be a little too hot for me. The antiquities have great tone and are more touch responsive to my ears.

Gotta mention that putting pickups in a 335 is a ridiculously difficult task! Once I looked into it thoroughly, i had to get a shop to do it with $100 bench charge. Ouch. Still worth it though.

6. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

I have a Heritage 535 with Seymour Duncan Antiquities. They sound very good. I went over to my brother's house when he had an Aiken Invader, and I really enjoyed the sound. I was able to pretty much nail the tone on the original version of Claption's Crossroads. The sound is rich and warm. I can get good rock tones to some very round fat jazz sounds out of the neck pickup. I wouldn't even think of changing them in that guitar - they sound THAT good.

7. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I had Antiquities in a 336, and it was easily the best sounding guitar I had ever owned.

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

ive seen this quote quite a few times from you calloway! i must try this with my 336!

9. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

great! thanks! i picked up a set today. yeah it's a pain to change pups on a 335 but i've got plenty of free time tomorrow. if these things are even better than the seth lovers in my LP i might die and go to heaven.

10. NewOldCokeDave

NewOldCokeDave Member

Best move I have ever done..

Putting Antiquities in my Historic 335.. :dude

Took 'em out for a while and tried a whole bunch of others and went back to the Antiquities..

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Had a pair in a 78 345, heavy guitar, not real resonant but sounded very authentic with those pickups.

12. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I put them in my ES-335 and have never looked back.

Great pickups.

13. johan

johan Member

I have a set in my Tokai ES-120 (335 copy)

+ CTS pots and Vitamin Q's