SD PUP Booster question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

Question:

Kinda interested in a Seymour Duncan pickup booster, but have never used one.

I play a strat w/ CS 69's into a Plexi. I am looking to push my pre amps to help boost my fuzzes, but here is my question.
    Does the SD pup booster really push your preamp or does it simply change the frequency of the pups to sound like humbuckers?

The reason I ask is because if that is the case, why not just throw a hot rails into the bridge instead?

Thanks in advance for the help,
    Mass

2. ungarn

ungarn Member

It can do both...pickup is a bargain on the used market...lots of fun to experiment with!

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Whats the concensus between the SD pup booster and say an mxr microamp?
    Is one more preffered over the other in quality and versitility?
    Thanks again,
    Mass

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

IMO the Duncan Pickup booster is very overlooked...great pedal if you want a pure clean flat boost with no distortion of it's own and the the switch you can taylor the top end of single coils to get some more of that bucker girth...well worth the price and on the used market they are an even better deal...

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Sounds great!
    Does it push the pre amps or simply reconfigure the frequency of the pups though?

6. Hua and a tele

Hua and a tele Member

It does push it. It gives you I think 12-25 decibels of clean boost plus the eq switch. It's one of my main pedals I like to run overdrives into it and then into the amp for my crunch sounds

7. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

FOR GOD SAKE... DON'T REPLACE YOUR CS '69's WITH A HOT RAILS! Man, if you often use fuzz face, it will fart a lot with this pickup. The weaker the pickup, the better it will sound with fuzzes.
    BUT, you want to boost your fuzz... so, IMO, you have to put your booster after the fuzz. Either a boost BEFORE the fuzz or a hotter pickup will ruin your fuzz tone.

8. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

SD pup booster is awesome, yes it can be set to change the tone of the pup... fattening or thinning, but it also has a huge sweep of clean boost that definitely drive an amp. Before I got the amp I use now (Traynor YCS 100H), I used my pup booster with the lower gain channel on my Traynor YCV 50 to get a thick, heavy tone... worked great... still use it when I want a little extra drive...