• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

SD Seth Lovers vs Fralin Pure Paf

Rabbie56

Silver Supporting Member
I'm wanting to switch out the pups in my ES137 Classic. The 490 & 498 just don't do it for me. Ive narrowed it down to these two. I play mostly rock with lots of od pedals, delays, reverbs etc. looking for something clean with great string definition but has the ability to rock out. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

telecat

I have both and put them in a chambered Les Paul Classic. Both are great pups. The differences for me are the Seths had more of that hollow mid sound that I associate with A2 pups. They had a certain amount of twang to them. Bass notes were soft and round sounding to me. Treble notes had bite but still had a nice softness to them compared to the Duncan 59's that were in there right before them. For me they didn't have allot of clarity but it didn't really know this till I put in the Fralins. They were an improvement over the SD 59's. The fralins have clarity. Note separation is fantastic. Still A2's but they don't sound like it to me. They are a very even pickup with tight bass and great bite too. I love them in this guitar! So much so that I sent them back to Fralin to have them changed from gold to nickel. That being said..I didn't like the Fralins in my Les Paul Custom so go figure! They just didn't work for that guitar. Lindy can always overwind them alittle if you want them a bit hotter. I'd bet they'd sound fantastic in a semi like the 137

Rabbie56

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I'm a little worried about the feedback with Seth Lovers since they are unpotted. This guitar feeds back enough as it is. But the Seth Lovers are about $60 cheaper and I can get them locally. Just didn't know if the Fralins were worth the extra money and wait.

telecat

When I had the seth's in I didn't get them to feed back too much unless I played really loud on my rectoverb with heavy distortion. They can squeal in that situation. Playing with my Vox or Marshall Plexi with pedals hasn't caused a problem. Yep they are cheaper.. and they do sound good! Just for me not as good as the Fralins but ymmv! :)

Rabbie56

Silver Supporting Member
How was the note separation on the Seth Lovers? When playing overdriven chords was is clear and articulate or more muddy and bassy?

telecat

Because it has that A2 mag hollow mid thing there is good note separation. Its still soft compared to the A5 mag SD 59 but the neck pup was clearer than the SD 59. My Chambered LP Classic has a bit of roundness in the bass strings. Not the sharp attack that my Custom has so that softness of the Seth's compounded it to where I never got a good solid thunk on the bass strings. I know those are abstract terms to describe it but I'm trying!

Not to through a wrench in things but have you thought about the Dimarzio 36 anniversary's? I put a set in my Les Paul Custom after taking out the Fralins and have been very happy. I also put a set in my ES-347 and they sound GREAT! I originally wanted to put pure Paf's in the 347 but wanted them tapped and Lindy has another set that he sells that are tapped and I didn't want that so I popped the 36 annies in.

Oh.. If your going to use allot of distortion...the neck pup on the Seth will probably get a little mushy. That is where the Fralin totally excels. They are extremely clear.

Last edited:

Trending Topics