sdg vintage amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by erik smith, Nov 28, 2005.

1. erik smith

erik smith Member

any sdg amp owners let me know what you think

2. Byrdseye

Byrdseye Supporting Member

I have one of his 18 watt combos on order............can't wait for it to arrive!:p

3. David McKay

David McKay Member

I happened to be the dude who got the first 18 watter Steve made! Yup...customer #1. While I love the traditional set up, I had Steve do me up TMB with a master volume. Think JCM 800 without the hearing loss! Plain and simple...this is THE tone! Feel free to hit me up with any particulars...you know "that" sound you always wanted...this is it!

4. bushmill

bushmill Member

I have owned 2 of Steve's amps over the past 2 years. A Tweed Deluxe which was killer and a Tweed Super...actually I think it was the first Super he did. I kick myself every few days for selling that amp!! Impulse GAS caused the sale and if I could get that one back, I would in a heartbeat! I'm waiting for the Amp Jar to replenish itself so I can get another one ordered...I'm thinking the next one may be the 4-6v6 Double Deluxe he's got going. The amps are immaculately built, the tone is amazing, and Steve is a great guy to work with...His pricing on these cannot be beat! Yes there are the Clarks and Victorias, et al but give SDG a shot...:D

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

+1 on the SDG Vintage

Steven Built me a Tweed Proluxe (Deluxe w/6L6's and bigger Iron) MM Trannys and the like.

Cool litte amp that will just about hang with the big boys if not run them over.

30 watts Very Warm Clean sound that is my favorite clean tone (of any amp I've ever had) and the distortion sound of this amp is unreal. It will do the breakup thing excellent but crank it wide open and it will do Explodo Tube Amp gone mad.

With the amp dimed you'd swear it was gonna fly apart at any given minute but hasnt even hickuped in the year or so I've had it.

Many Amps have come and gone since the arrival of my SDG but I can safely say its a keeper.

Right now I've got a Celestion G-12 Century speaker in it and it seems to like that one though a V30 sounds good in it too but with the Century in it its extremely Light and easy to carry.

Its definately my Grab and Go Amp and is more than that too. :)

Every once in a Blue Moon Steven will Chime in here.

6. Byrdseye

I must say that he has been very patient with me through out the ordering process. I've asked a lot of dumb questions and changed my mind a few times on the details..............and so far no problemo!

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've spoken with Steve a couple times, and have resolved to someday do business with him. He's very pleasant and responsive, sounds like he'd be fun to work with. His components are excellent, and he has great confidence in the quality of his work and how well it stacks up in the tone world.

Prices are definitely fair. I've been real tempted on a Pro type amp, though that tweed proluxe sounds pretty interesting too.

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Steven Gupta is an A-1 Class act.

Very nice guy, easy to work with, will go out of his way to make you happy all at a price that is very good indeed.

Better jump on these babys while they is a good deal. :D

You couldnt ask for a better guy to build you an amp.

Steven is building amps at a much better price than many out there and is giving as good as it gets quallity wise. What more can you ask for?

9. Mrvic

Mrvic Guest

I have used many, played many, and still own a few (very good) amps of various makes. I just got a Marshall inspired 18W combo and had Electric Wood CREATE a cabinet for it.Thinking of buying an amp from SDG...JUST DO IT!!!In :rolleyes: my experience, I MUST say it's the finest,creamiest sounding unit I have ever used. NO BS.I had it made with a Tone Tubby 12" Alnico...ya gotta hear it to believe it.Almost a Religious experience.I had to change my undies TWICE in 15 minutes.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Oh yeah. Very good amps. Mine has its own character, no other amp I've ever had does what mine does.

I have the 5E3 Deluxe with bigger Iron and 6L6's (Proluxe) but still has the 5Y3 and no choke. I dont think he's done one like that since. Now he uses a GZ34 and a choke but mine worked out great cause I get this extreme amount of SAG that makes the Amp sound like its fixin to Exlpode (I call it the Explodo sound). It definately has the Tweed thing going but will get down right vicious when you romp down on it and the Clean Sound is the warmest of all cleans. Very good Amp.

Also a very Grab and Go Friendly Amp. 30 Watts in a nice little compact 1x12 Cab that will just about hold its own with a 50 watt Plexi and introduce the SAG into the mix and can push the Volume Level Down but prepare for insane gain.

Anyway you can tell I like mine. :D :AOK

I would like to here his 18 watter though I kinda have the Marshall area covered. I've been thinking about getting a Tweed Twin. I know for sure whatever Steve builds is top notch and second to none.

11. Byrdseye

I'm in love with my new 18 watter.........Steve is top notch:BEER

12. ironmace7

ironmace7 Member

Any clips of the 18 watt combo? Thanks

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well what are you waiting for Byrd? Give us the details. How does she handle tight curves?

14. Mrvic

Mrvic Guest

Try THIS....[​IMG]