1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

SDG Vintage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Fired the new Ultraflex 45 up today. The main problem with having this Amp is not having enuff time to Play with it. Ran a set of NOS GE 6550's with a GZ34 rectifier sounded amasing but a little loud. I like the JJ KT88's better than the NOS GE's.

After playing a while I decided to tone the volume down a little. I stuck a set of Mullard XF3 EL34's with a NOS RCA 5U4GB rectifier. Sounds amasing but not as Edgey as they sound when I had a Vintage 30 in the Amp. I now have my trusty Wizard in it. Anyway I stuck a set of Svetlana labled Svetlana EL34's (real ones) in it with a Solid State rectifier and it got aggresive. Very Crunchy and Sings like a Tweety Byrd for sinlge note solos. Very Brown sounding during solos which I like its a good change from my JCM 800 and 1959 HW. Dont want all these Amps to sound the same now do we? What would be the fun in that?

Anyway just when the fun was starting I had to come upstairs and eat super. Whatching 24 now.

Something I'm quite suprised about this Amp is a Vintage 30 sounds very good in it. I'm debating wether to put one back in it. Though the Wizard Allways sound good in any Amp.

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

Sounds like an awesome, versitile amp.... if you have got the time to tweak. Keep a log for recording purposes, I've got to come hear it.:RoCkIn :eek: :RoCkIn

3. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Now we're talkin'....the G-Man's swappin' tubes and speakers!!!Like rasta and I have stated befor, keep a crayon and paper handy to jot down changes and your impressions. It's easy to get different "combinations" confused, or which sounded like what. Bet your being carefull with your bias...lol...had to throw that in.
    Your liking the V30 doesn't surprise me. The Big Bogner has always sounded great under your hands and the V30 in an open back cab probably still has some of those characteristics. It will be interesting to hear what you think of the Ultraflex thru the Big Bog and the 1960 w/Greenbacks. EL34's+SS Rect+GB's....talk about "brown".
    I'm not sure what KT88's sound like. I mean, I have a general idea of how 34's, 84's, 6550's, 6L6's, 6V6's all influence tone but don't know that I have heard 88's. Any records that I might have heard that sound like 88's???Keep the updates comming as you have the time.....
    BZT

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Its gonna take some time to Play the Options on this Baby. I cant say as I know of any recordings with KT88's specificaly. Maybe Black Sabbath stuff when Ritchie used to use those 200 watt Marshalls. I believe those had four KT88's in em. I've only ever heard the JJ KT88's but I like them way better than the set of NOS GE 6550's I've got. They have the certain Krrraanngg to em that I've never heard before although the Amp is way to loud with these big Tubes in it.

It gets softer with EL34's in it. I think I really like it with those Svetlana Labled Svetlana's in it and a Solid State rectifier. The 34's are softer but the SS rectifier brings back just a little bit of that Krrraanngg.

I'm gonna try today to mess around with some stuff. When I get a chance I'll take a Photo of Steves new Multilateral Bias Circuit. It looks ver nice.
    You can turn down the volume on this thing to a little less than Half and Get the most amasing Clean Sound I've ever heard from any Amp including Blackface Fenders. Think more like a Steel String Singer.

When cranked above 5 on the dial though it takes on an Unruly Character that I've not Heard out of an Amp ever. It Crunches thats for sure but its not a JCM 800 Crunch its more like a really Old Amp Crunch if that makes any sense. Then when laying into some Solo stuff it will Sing a stuck Pig. For some reason when doing Solo work it gets even Browner Sounding. Dont understand whats going on there but it makes for some really nice Smooth Overdriving Solos. Very pleasing to the Ear something my wife will love I know.

Anyway looks like its goona be mostly us on this one guys. You know its not the Latest Flavor of the month Amp for all the little kiddies. Lets breakout the Izod Shirts and Penny Loafers and we'll get more attention.

I've allways liked to make my own path rather than just run out and buy a Komet cause everyone is talking about em. That is the wrong reason for purchasing gear. Anyway I chose to have Steve build my Ultimate Combo Gigging Amp that I'll be using for years to come. I decided 18 watts just wasnt enuff for doing outside gigs. One wants a little throttle when one needs it but wants to be able to throttle it down also.

By having every possible Power Tube and Rectifier Combination available and having an Amp that the Character really does change with Tube Changes I look forward to discovering all the Options with this Baby.

On top of running across all these Military Grade Preamp Tubes that I'm gonna try in it also. Man I'm stoked the fun begins. Now time to get off my ass and go play with it some more.

5. gooma

gooma Member

I`d be really interested to hear a little more about the features of this amp. Does it have an external bias point or somethin? or can u chop and change tubes without having to re-bias?

I`m assuming it`s a JTM 45 type amp or am i way off base:)

cheers
    Brad

6. rastaman

rastaman Member

It had a 3 way bias selector switch when I saw it. You change it as necassary.

I believe it's a Ultraflex-able JTM 45.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Its a JTM 45 Based Amp with the ability to run KT88's, 6550's,6L6's, EL34's, 6V6's, 5Y3, GZ34, 5U4, and everything else you can think of.

[​IMG]

You have to pull the backboard off to Bias it. It has a 3 way selector switch for each range of Tubes with an Indavidual Pot for each selection on the switch. Each set of tubes need to be biased but you can Bias your favorite set of EL34's, 6L6's, or KT88's (this includes any of each family of tubes) with what rectifier you choose and after your done just flip the switch to change change tubes on the fly.

It also has a variable Slope Control.

8. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Hey G...somewhere I missed the preamp/PI tube layout of this amp. Is it like V1: gain stage, V2: tone stack, V3: PI???. With all the "new" 12Axx's you just got, plus all you had, ought to make the front end just as FLEXable as the power section.
    I don't know how many times I am going to have to jump up and down on you "low-tech-still-using-out-of-date-vacuum-tube-technology" guys, (yes, meaning both you and the rastafariandudeman) to get you SLUGS to post some clips. BOTH of you need to move into the 20th century and start using the magical solid state amps...GEEEZE.....
    BZTransistor

9. gooma

gooma Member

Sounds like a very cool amp indeed!!!:AOK

I bet there are any number of great tones lurking inside there with the different tubes. Thats a great idea and a real original take on a JTM-45 style amp.

Enjoy it:dude

10. rastaman

rastaman Member

:D

I'll have to help try pursuade the Beaz to do some clips when I bring my SDG up to hear the UltraFlex.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thanx Gooma. The really nice thinng about this Amp is that it is very responsive to what Tubes are in it. With just a Tube swap I can hear major differences in the Tone and Feel of the Amp.

BZT you up for coming over when Rastadude does?

12. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

MAN...nothing would be cooler. Meeting rasta and being at Beaz Manor for a major SDG tonefest would be a blast!!!(warning to rasta: just make sure you keep an eye on your toys...ask G...he found he was missing a lot of stuff (amps, cabs, guitars, tubes) after 'ol Bozo had left.....
    BZTheif

13. rastaman

rastaman Member

I'll bring the tequila! If Red will make 'em!!

I'll tell/remind H to get you one of those fancy squeezers.

14. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

15. billdurham

billdurham Member

But Why Atlanta Reverb? Aren't they in Virginia?

BD

16. rastaman

rastaman Member

I believe a guy in Atlanta had Steve make him a custom built amp and asked him to call it the Atlanta Reverb.

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thats one of the cool things about Steve you can customise all the way down to the name. :dude

Man I'm back in civalization. Been down there in the middle of nowhere for way too long.

18. rastaman

rastaman Member

DUDE! Glad to hear from ya! I hope you can find the time to play the Ultraflex!!!

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thanx just got up from hibernation. Gonna get cleaned up and head down there to the the Strudio to snokes some Vaccums. :dude

20. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

That is correct and that would be me! It is an awesome little amp :dude