SDGvintage kit experience?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rh, Sep 4, 2008.

1. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

After many, many amps of every possible flavor, the sound that sticks with me is a great 18w Marshall.

I'm thinking about getting an SDGvintage 1974x kit. While I have 3 yrs of MILSPEC soldering in my background, that was long ago and my chops are at about 40%-50% of where they were. (I expect they'll come back pretty quickly, though.)

I'm reasonably confident I can work from the layout diagram and a couple of hi-res gut shots, but there are no instructions and no forum at the SDGvintage site.

So! Anybody built one of these SDGvintage kits, or successfully built an an 18w in general? If so, how much experience did you have, and what sticking points (if any) did you have?

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

have you checked the ax84 site? http://www.ax84.com/

You might get more responses there...

By the way, SDGVintage amps are VERY well made. Never seen one of their kits though.

3. myfoot

myfoot Member

Try http://www.18watt.com you have to register to read the posts , but it's free and lots of help if you run into it. Seems like wire routing is very important in that particular build. I haven't built one yet, but I plan on it at some point.

4. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

From looking at the pics of the kits they are Mojo kits that he sells,and if so,they are great quality.However,the head kit and the combo kit chassis are the same and the tubes face horizontal into the combo cab.They face up in the head.This is not an issue with performance,but you can't see the tubes and tube swaps are difficult.
    I would suggest getting a normal combo chassis from another supplier.The prices very reasonable for the SDG kit.Cheaper than Mojo sells them for by the way.
    Personally I wouldn't build a combo with a head chassis,but Marshall did that with their bluebreaker,which is just a head stuffed into a combo chassis.
    The price would be a big consideration,and his prices are very good.

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

On the other hand, from a standpoint of heat dissipation, this is a better arrangement and doesn't "bake" your circuit board like a typical fender design.

6. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Good point.Less cook = more tone?

7. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

I have only 1 combo left.
    I actually think the the tubes pointing inwards makes more sense. The tubes are not in the way if they are pointing inwards. Actually swapping tubes only takes a few more seconds to take the chassis out by removing the back panel.

8. stratman_el84

stratman_el84 Member

Weber sells a very good 1974 kit. They also have a forum with very friendly & knowledgeable people. Weber has also upgraded the jacks and switches included in their kits recently.

They are also very willing to substitute/add/remove items also, well beyond the options normally offered. I'm sure that if you wanted, for example, a 1974 combo with a cab to fit a 15 inch speaker, they'd be happy to have a cab made, covered and trimmed to your taste.

+1 on sensitivity to wire routing with this design. However, if you use some care and common sense when wiring the amp, this is usually not a big problem.

Cheers!

Strat

9. pauly-ray

pauly-ray Member

I built one of Steve's (SDG) 5e3 kits a couple months ago. Top notch product at a great price. If I wasn't tapped out I would be all over that last 18w combo he has.

10. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders