SE Silver Sky - not interested

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
My doctor told me I should have a colonoscopy, because it’s been a few years.

Not interested. So let me go start a thread!

If the main thread is full of positivity and excitement about the model then I fully support a separate thread for negative opinions. It prevents the main thread from becoming a mess of back and forth opinions.

spikey

Great, so pay $2549 US for the "good" one. I'm sure you'll be a better guitarist as a result.

Guitar prices are not exclusive in this fact, but you usually get what you pay for. If it makes the guitar player (young or old) practice longer because it hurts the fingers less to do that, then it's worth the price of admission if you can afford it. Otherwise, if you want a "knock-about" SE for the shows and want to keep that nice PRS at home, that's just common sense to me.

Beakybird

I don't know why anyone buys modern signature guitars (I say modern because les pauls get grandfathered in). I just don't get all of the hero worship. Make your own path. Don't follow someone else's.

I think this is unnecessarily judgmental. Most people who will buy this guitar don't worship John Mayer but simply have the humility to recognize he's a great guitarist.
John Mayer's name isn't plastered on the headstock, and Silver Sky is a very evocative name.
I'm not buying one because in a blind test on a YouTube video, I liked the Fender 60's Vintera more.

PaisleyWookie

If the main thread is full of positivity and excitement about the model then I fully support a separate thread for negative opinions. It prevents the main thread from becoming a mess of back and forth opinions.

Eh, who cares? If negative opinions are valid concerns, then so be it. We don't need multiple SS SE threads, especially so lacking in substance, as the OP's post.

3dognate

I always thought the term ‘Poplar’ was another word for “Balsa”.
Not even close. Poplar is pretty much 1-1 in density and stiffness with Alder. It machines cleanly and is stable. It's biggest problem is that its kinda ugly so it's only paint grade. But in finish carpentry it can be stained to match just about anything. I've got a couple of poplar bodied strats and I'd put them up against any Alder or Ash bodied strat including my own.

Back onto the subject of SE Silver Sky.... The colors are so freaking $89 Amazon Guitar looking... WTF PRS? Was "Cheap as F**k Looking" what you were going for?

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't, but I've done chicken wings in the oven and then finished them in the air fryer, pretty darn happy with the outcome!

Yeah, I used to bake wings and them fry them because I was scared I would never get them done enough, LOL. I've done wings without baking them first - but I will have to try that technique too.

k tone

Your gonna have trouble doing a warmoth for 1000 anymore.
I noticed that their prices went up with the new website. Gone are the days of the $157 Showcase neck. The last one I bought was Musikraft. Never tried them before but the flexible options were nice. Warmoth’s new variable shipping changed by $30 depending on what device I was on as well (phone vs laptop). On my laptop shipping was $150 Canadian. I inquired about it and told them about the anomaly with the new variable shipping and they shrugged. And I LOVE Warmoth (I have 4). So off to Musikraft I went.

ColonelForbin

It is interesting that they changed the neck radius.
My buddy has a 'regular' Silver Sky and his biggest gripe with it is the neck.

I love it; an amazing strat style axe with greatly reduced single coil buzz and hum noise.
As compared on same rig in same room with a tele and a strat.

The Silver Sky pickups and electronics are really good.
Wonder if much of that quality is retained in the SE series..

tooter007

Eh, who cares? If negative opinions are valid concerns, then so be it. We don't need multiple SS SE threads, especially so lacking in substance, as the OP's post.

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas." -Dandy Don Meredith

nac

Silver Supporting Member
agreed, seems kind of a rip off for an overseas import when the Ibanez AZES is the same as the SS minus the trem....and the neck shape.....and the pickups......and the control layout...... Yeah otherwise they're exactly the same. (which I bet a lot of people don't use much).

Fixed it for you :)

(I'm just teasing)

Bob Maximus

Gold Supporting Member
TBH G&L was (and may still be) making imports in Indonesia and some of those were really great instruments. But I don't remember anything imported for G&L priced as high as the SS import. Though the SS import is probably a great instrument...seems over priced.

PaisleyWookie

TBH G&L was (and may still be) making imports in Indonesia and some of those were really great instruments. But I don't remember anything imported for G&L priced as high as the SS import. Though the SS import is probably a great instrument...seems over priced.

Schecter Nick Johnston is $50 more than the SS SE, made in Indonesia by Cort. Both are over priced? Maybe. But if it’s a good instrument, it’s a good instrument.

Steely Dave

I think it’s ugly as hell but that’s ok. If other people dig it, which seems to be the case, then it’s all good. Different strokes make the world go ‘round.

G&L's Tribute line is all made in Indonesia and they are absolutely rock-solid. Amazing quality and a great price. My Fallout is from Indonesia and it's killer. I had a Doheny Tribute that was so good, it convinced me to buy the Doheny V12.

Made in Indonesia is not an issue. A good guitar is a good guitar.

PartyPlatter

I just ordered one in stone blue, it's got specs I'm interested in at a price point that I'm interested in. The other option is a 60's vintera and I get the impression that at this price point, MIM vs SE....... Well the SE wins in both price and probably quality.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom