Sea Blue EQ or RC/BB Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AaeCee, Dec 4, 2005.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I've narrowed down my search for a clean EQ pedal to these three. I'm more concerned with effective, noise free EQ than with boost, although a little controllable kick in the end could be nice. All claim to sweeten/sustain/balance. Anyone with experience in any or all of these? Thanks, AC

2. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

May I suggest you check out the Sniper mod GE-7:

http://tone-jam.com/GE7_mod_page.html

This is the end-all EQ pedal with boost. Kevin is a pedal guru and a super-cool dude to do business with.

I got mine this week and tell you it is top notch. Completely smoothed and soothed my tone!
    Best,
    MW

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

You don't even know what an ideal recommendation this is for me, Matt! Just so happens that I own an unused (precisely due to the noise!) Boss GE-7 that I figured I'd sell. Wow!! Only $50.00 later, and I'll have the ultimate EQ. Psyched. Thanks! You saved me money and aggravation! AC

4. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

If you don't like the pedal after its modded... i'll buy it. But I guarantee you'll LOVE it!
    MW

5. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Ditto, dt.

Way different functionality than a graphic EQ. Voiced right where it needs to be to tweak Guitar -> amp tones. And it adds a "sweetening" that makes it hard to turn off. So I don't.

6. drolling

drolling Member

I'm with doc + dt on this one. I don't care how good the sniper mod is (although I'll be getting it done to my old GE-7 anyway), there's just no way it can touch the functionality/musicality of the SBEQ. You can use it anywhere in your single chain, with any kind of amp/pickup, to great effect. A great addition to an electro-acoustic rig, too.

If I could have only one BJF pedal, it would be two or three SeaBlue EQs.

BTW, the RC Booster's also quite nice in it's own right. The first iteration w/the *bad* switch can be had cheaply now. It's one of those pedals that can really improve a less than stellar sounding rig, so it goes in the gig bag when I don't know who's amp I'll be playing thru'. Saved my @ss on a number of occasions.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Thanks drolling. Is this to say that all new RCs have an improved switch? I've read of the aformentioned issues.

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

I like the RC Booster a lot - and generally I hate effing pedals!
    It really does sweeten up an amp in a good way. You don't have to fiddle with it much, which I like.

I must say though that I have not had the opportunity to use one of Bjorn's pedals that Rik and dt recommend. I trust what those guys say, equipmentwise.....

Best, Pete.

9. fatback

fatback Member

I have a sniper mod GE-7 as well as a bjf SBeq. Both are cool, but there are a lot of differences beyond the para/graphic eq. The SBeq is VERY quiet in operation. The Sniper is quieter than a stock GE-7 but will still get noisy when boosting. I tend to use the Sniper before my pre-amp pedal while the SBeq sits well post pre-amp. The Sniper works best for me when I use it to subtract instead of add frequencies. This way it remains quiet. On a budget, the Sniper is a good pedal. The SBeq is a much more refined pedal that in my opinion is very much worth the extra $$.

Here is a very subjective way to describe the "feel", (not the function,) of the two:

If you were to visualize your tone as a curve. The Sniper feels like it pokes holes in the curve, stressing and de-emphasizing specific frequencies while the SE-eq feels much smoother, like it stretches and bends the curve. If I was to keep one it would be the SB-eq.

10. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Please email me if you know of any in particular for sale right now, I had one and have regretted selling it. I've been waiting and looking, not many folks are getting rid of these from my estimation.

Thanks!

11. granite

granite Member

I so want one of these. Oh Dean....

12. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Very nicely put !

Yes a graphic can feel like sticking a fork up under the tone curve - the SBEQ has a more ' spoon ' profile...

Heres one reason why: when you start adjusting frequencies the way a graphic does it (narrow slightly overlapping bands), you get phase problems and after you adjust a few bands it sounds a little fake/plastic, so yes the graphic is much more versatile but also leaves phase artifacts~fingerprints on your signal from the phase cancellations/alterations .....

I know BJ spent gobs of time coming up with a tone circuit that would adjust the frequency bands (different than most amp tone controls) he wanted without causing phase cancellations..........

it LOOKS and SEEMS like a very simple pedal - its just volume, treble, bass right ?!? but its a highly refined version that adjusts the freqs while balancing the phase landscape and keeps that precious guitar/amp interaction intact ( the 'musical' description from drolling )

Yes a Graphic is great for many things, especially reducing feedback spots etc..... and it can also make some fun notch effects......

but if your using high end equipment and you need to adjust more than what the SBEQ does , you probably still dont have your ideal rig yet ;)

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

I also recommend BJF's SBEQ. Very natural sounding EQ.
    This will male you amp happy?

I love SBC too.

Tomo

14. drolling

drolling Member

The originals have a smaller than standard switch. The new ones feature that big clunker that we all know & love. I think the price has been increased as well.

I'm going pretty easy on mine, b/c it's not a simple re-install. They've had to change the location of the switch (and possibly the LED as well) to make it fit into the small enclosure.

My buddy's had an original since they first came out, w/no problems yet. Everything I've read, OTOH, would indicate the failure rate is high. Great little pedal, tho'. Some of my favorite sound sculpting tools tend to bring out the inherent deficiencies in a guitar/amp, whereas this little guy sorta glosses them over.

15. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I love my Sniper Mode GE-7 pedal, it is the corner stone to my sound. I am ordering four to take on tour with WET ANIMAL, thats how important they are to us.. I do love BJF's Baby Pink Booster though, so I know I would love his EQ.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.myspace.com/wetanimal

16. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Can you offer any tips on how you're using yours? Are you placing it after other BJF pedals? If so, which ones? Any settings you'd care to share? I'm curious because I have the SBEQ, LGW, HB, and EGDM.

Thanks,

Jeff

17. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

so true!

18. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Whoops.. dar it is!!
    Can't get a much better recommendation then this ... :BEER