• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Sea Level - Anybody Dig These Guys?

DRS

I really liked this band. I like this style of music - southern fusion or whatever you want to call it.

Two-Octave

It's kind of funny how they got their name,it's sort of a pun. Chuck Leavell was in the band...C. Leavell.....Sea Level...:D

Last edited:

BlueHeaven

I'm a HUGE fan of their instrumentals...vocal tunes were good but they just didn't grab me as much.

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
I have a couple of their albums and remember them to be pretty good. Chuck Leavell lives here in Georgia and is heavily involved in tree farming and the forestry pursuits.

I don't have the details but he also happens to play/record/tour? with the Rolling Stones. Pretty good lifestyle, I'd say.

speakerjones

Yeah, I have always dug these guys. Like Steely Dan meets the Allman Bros. Jaimoe really grooves on their albums.

Bmused

Gold Supporting Member
I loved the "Cats on the Coast" album back in the day. Great Stuff!

cbguy

Green & Gold Supporter
Big fan here of one of their later additions, Randall Bramlett.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Loved them. Saw them live in a double concert with Jan Hammer in the late 70s. Both bands just killed.

cbguy

Green & Gold Supporter
I've suspected a TGP member of being Davis Causey but I've never asked that TGP member directly because of privacy concerns. I feel guilty even bringing this up now.

Great band, though. Much respect for the members and what they've accomplished since, also.

telelion

Platinum Supporting Member
Love them. As a matter of fact, "Living in A Dream" has always been my favorite cut from Sea Level. Way under-rated and great guitar work.

Reddog

Yeah I dug 'em as well. "Living in a Dream" was always one of my favorite cuts. I saw an interview with the band back in the day where one of the band members described their music as "hip disco" (?). I don't think Chuck liked that description...

Comet01

I m a *HUGE* fan of Sea Level. The first three albums are my favorite.

"Grand Larceny" from the debut sits at the top of my top 10 favorite songs of all time.

The 4th album ( the appropriately titled "Long Walk On A Short Pier") was the final album release by Capricorn records as the company crumbled in 1979. In truth, the album was not truly released, it would be more accurate to say that it "escaped". No copies of that album were pressed in the US. Any copies found in the US were imported from Canada.

A sixth (and final) album was recorded for Arista but never released. That album was more pop than anything that they ever released.

I wish that there was a legit live album from the band.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom