Seamless Software Drumming

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by stratovarius, Jul 6, 2006.

1. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I find that packaged drum patterns never quite have what I want, but they can make useful starting points. As for manual input, keyboards and the like are akward to use and I wouldn't expect a drummer to use one.

I haven't had much luck mapping MIDI drum kits to software thus far. Admittedly I've tried to do some dumb things, like trying to map my TD7 kit to ReDrum. Man, was that frustrating (and likely impossible)!

I'd like to be able to use a variety of resources, sometimes starting with packaged loops, sometimes starting with a live drummer and still be able to go back and forth between the two in an iterative fashion.

What is the best way to approach this? How can I work seamlessly between MIDI, Rex and Wav formats? What is the best way to use a MIDI kit when it's not the sound source?

I have Pro Tools, Reason, a Novation Remote25 and a Roland TD7. I am willing to make some investment, but have no idea where to go from here. Should I consider the TD7 obsolete? I am a lot more interested in an easy seamless process that will allow spontaneous creativity than I am in creating slick productions. If I have to choose between playing and programming, playing wins every time.

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Have you tried Reason's Drum Kits Refill/expansion? It uses the NNXT sampler for drum sounds instead of ReDrum. I trigger it via MIDI with a Roland electronic kit. The only annoying thing is that I have some latency issues when recording and I haven't fully figured out the mapping of the hi-hat pedal.

Bryan

3. stratovarius

I just bought the Reason Drums II this week and haven't even had a chance to check it out yet. And yes, the hi-hat is one of the things that's always driven me nuts. Maybe I should start a thread on how to do that?

4. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

I'm not using Reason, but am laying tracks with a Roland vPro set..then triggering GigaStudio with the midi track. ...

As for the HiHat...I use the Roland sound. just copy the orignal midi track to a new one. Then trigger giga (or Reason or whatever) with one track and the Roland hihat with the other (different midi port). I think the Roland hihat sounds are very usable, and I prefer the realism of a "live" performance versus programming one.

YMMV

5. stratovarius

But you should be able to keep the "live" feel no matter what you are triggering, right? I'm not sure I understand.

I'd like to be able to use Refill entirely just to keep it simple. I've had problems getting the hi-hat choke to work properly in the past but I'm getting ready to go try it again using Refill.

6. sman

sman Member

You can mix in different mics (overhead, room, pzm, etc...) I have step written in patterns & mixed up the vel. levels on each hit. Between that & mixing in the mics, Sounds real.

7. stratovarius

I listened to BFD at the guitar center and thought it sounded exceptional. I was a little disappointed that there weren't more modern kits included. I ended up with Refill because of a friend's recommendation.

This friend helps me quite a bit but sometimes his advice is overkill for me. It's nothing for him to spend weeks converting formats and tweaking codes. I'm mainly looking for a simple flexible way of composing drum tracks rather than trying to create a sonic masterpiece. Other than drums, everything I do is in the audio domain using Pro Tools. Dealing with drums makes everything more complicated, especially when a drummer is seldom around.

I've got to go figure out why my Novation ReMote25 has dropouts when talking to Reason. I'm updating all of the drivers right now.

8. stratovarius

Well, updating the drivers and the Novation OS did the trick. Of course it turned into a major PITA - Reason locked up because it no longer recognized Novation which in turn locked up Pro Tools which in turn locked up my computer. It took multiple reboots to make everyone happy again.

I still can't figure out how to make hi-hats work. Surely I'm not the only one who has ever tried to do this?

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

I use Logic Express, and so far, I have had good luck with the standard GarageBand drum kits and the Jam Pack 3 kits. No problems with HH either.
    But, I am always looking for new/better sounding kits. I have looked into BFD, as well as DKFH, and DrumCore. I prefer to be able to edit the drums, so I rarely use audio loops, but if I did, Drums on Demand has some nice sounding loops.

10. stratovarius

I figured out the problem with the TD7! I had accidentally set it on one of the goofy non standard patches. Now everything is working perfectly. The only thing I changed was an option on the TD7 for how the foot controller operates.

Reason Drum Kits II is a great product. I've only worked with what came loaded in the demo session so far, but I was very impressed with the dynamics. They obviously did a lot of work on them and I thought they sounded very natural.