• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Sean Costello: What Amp?

OldSchool

"I'm a Ram"!!!!!! F*$#in awesome!!! Love that R.B. tune.
I've heard like a million versions and his is by far the best .
Not saying that because he's passed either. I thought that when I first heard it back in 2005.
Gaddamn shame.......I really dug that kid.

stephenT

GREAT pics Stephen!!! Love the old Gibson amp pic! Any idea where that amp is now?
I did ask Sean's stepdad about the Gibson Rhythm King today. They have that amp and 8-9 others that Sean owned. They also have Sean's guitars including the '53 GT, the '90 reissue GT he used, his Gibson ES-175 he played early on for quite a few years, the old blonde Epiphone F-hole Sean recorded "Good Advice" with,...

Shnook

I did ask Sean's stepdad about the Gibson Rhythm King today. They have that amp and 8-9 others that Sean owned. They also have Sean's guitars including the '53 GT, the '90 reissue GT he used, his Gibson ES-175 he played early on for quite a few years, the old blonde Epiphone F-hole Sean recorded "Good Advice" with,...
Thanks for the info Stephen. I'm glad his family has his stuff.

Quick question...Does that model Gibson amp have tremolo?

dukeh62

Silver Supporting Member
Sean and his step Dad got that goldtop from Frank Moats at Atlanta Vintage Guitars. Frank said it was the best goldtop he ever touched and thought of Sean. I think late 1999 is about right. Sean had it for awhile when he started playing with my Sunday Night thing at Northside Tavern in early 2000.

Here's a photo I took in '05 of the Goldtop in Sean's backyard. It was pretty clean when he first got it, so here's 5-6 years of use from the most corrosive hands I've ever seen. (Which is more like 30 years use from a normally ph balanced person).

I was lucky enough to play this guitar for a few tunes with Sean's band during a run through the Northeast. Man...what a magical guitar. Not much more to say about it. Just perfect on all levels.

DMichel123

When I saw Sean one time at a small bar here in Sanford, FL the band had gotten caught up in a bunch of traffic and ended up showing up about 20 minutes late for the gig. He didn't have time to change his strings ahead of time and as was mentioned before he sweated a lot and tended to really rust out strings. After busting a string, the club manager handed him the guitar they have on hand as a spare for blues jam night - one of those cheapo $99 Squier Affinity Strats. And you know what, Sean absolutely killed on that thing, and it sounded just like Sean. So, '53 Gibson, Lollars, Fralins, Goodsells, blackfaces, Magnatones, whatever - the gear was definitely only a small fraction of that equation. That guy just had "it" going on.
I'm 99.9999% sure the club owner you speak of lives here in Knoxville now, and is trying to sell that Squier Strat you speak of. It is signed by Sean, and he has pictures of him playing it and maybe signing it.

valcotone

Gold Supporting Member
Does anyone know which amp of his had that cool speaker "cone cry" going on when it was pushed?
I hear it in a few studio tracks and some live stuff as well (the 2000-06-16 Marquette show for example).

Last edited:

mr tom

I think I remember Sean playing through a Deluxe Reverb for those 2000 shows. Birdseye? Centervolume? Was it a Deluxe or the Vibrolux Reverb?

bek

Some years back Sean came through my little town in California for a blues festival. I'd never heard of him, but he was playing as I came in. He really got my attention and I went up to see closer. He was playing the goldtop, sounding amazing. Later he did a guitar clinic with two other players and I went. I don't remember who one of them was, the other was an older fairly local central California pro. He left them both looking weak, and he didn't do it on purpose, he just couldn't help it. He could really sing, too. I was just more and more amazed at how good he was and how young he was. Maybe WCR was there. Jim?

Goldie295

I did a little 1 hr slot on a local radio station here in the UK last night (as a guest talking about and playing blues) and got a really good plug in for Sean. I explained a little bit about him and then got them to play I'm a Ram from one of the bootlegs available on the web. They got lots of emails and a few phone calls asking for more info on Sean. Felt good to turn some more people onto his music. He always gets a mention by me over the mic at gigs. We gotta keep spreading the word. The world needs to know about Sean.

Goldie295

I did a little 1 hr slot on a local radio station here in the UK last night (as a guest talking about and playing blues) and got a really good plug in for Sean. I explained a little bit about him and then got them to play I'm a Ram from one of the bootlegs available on the web. They got lots of emails and a few phone calls asking for more info on Sean. Felt good to turn some more people onto his music. He always gets a mention by me over the mic at gigs. We gotta keep spreading the word. The world needs to know about Sean.

BTW, I have had a 60s BF Pro and currently used a '66 Deluxe Reverb. For me, the Deluxe gets closer to his recorded sound, though he used both live I believe.

Birdseye

Gold Supporting Member
Tom, if the 2000 shows were his second time at Upfront, it was the Deluxe Reverb.

I think it's interesting when we discuss Sean's tone, to consider that he used a bunch of different tones in the studio. His live tone was always great too, but not as diverse as he would use when he had the chance to really explore a variety of amps.

stephenT

BTW,.. that Deluxe Reverb had 6L6(s) and a Naylor speaker. It had a bit more juice than a stock BFDR.

jjboogie

BTW,.. that Deluxe Reverb had 6L6(s) and a Naylor speaker. It had a bit more juice than a stock BFDR.
Was that DR a 66 and did he get it from Midtown Music?

I bought a DR from Midtown Music years ago and I put a Naylor Speaker in it. After the original reverb tank broke and was replaced it didn't sound the same so I gave up on it and traded it back in for something else.

Unless Naylor speakers were common in our parts in amps it could have been my old amp.

bloo

I agree with birdseye... his tones were so different in the studio... like on the "lost album" magic shop... his tone on "I Went Wrong" sounds like an amp about to blow up and then on "Fool's Paradise" it's a gorgeous clean... But I think everyone is in agreement on one thing... It didn't matter what guitar/amp combination, it was always going to sound like Sean... Great to see another thread about one of my hero's around here..

stephenT

Was that DR a 66 and did he get it from Midtown Music?

I bought a DR from Midtown Music years ago and I put a Naylor Speaker in it. After the original reverb tank broke and was replaced it didn't sound the same so I gave up on it and traded it back in for something else.

Unless Naylor speakers were common in our parts in amps it could have been my old amp.
Don't know for sure but I don't think so. Sean had that amp quite a long time. I believe Joe L. set that amp up for Sean, speaker and 6L6s.

stephenT

Lost album?
The recordings Sean did in NY before "We Can Get Together", "You Wear It Well" was one of those tunes. It was shopped, no one bit. The idea was to record a variety of material and see who might be interested, the shotgun approach. There are some great songs but Sean lost interest after awhile and was focusing on newer material with the trio. Sean was really proud of "We Can Get Together", felt it represented where he was at the time and pointed to a new direction. he also thought it was some of his better recorded guitar work.

I suspect all of that stuff will be released at some point.

Shnook

The recordings Sean did in NY before "We Can Get Together", "You Wear It Well" was one of those tunes. It was shopped, no one bit. The idea was to record a variety of material and see who might be interested, the shotgun approach. There are some great songs but Sean lost interest after awhile and was focusing on newer material with the trio. Sean was really proud of "We Can Get Together", felt it represented where he was at the time and pointed to a new direction. he also thought it was some of his better recorded guitar work.

I suspect all of that stuff will be released at some point.
I certainly hope this material sees an official release. I also think Sean's story and music would make a very powerful documentary. Wishful thinking on my part.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom