• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Sean Costello: What Amp?

mr tom

It took forever for the Sean Costello album to come out. Sean continued to write and record with the guys in the same NY studio that produced the self-titled album, and essentially finished another record before SC came out. Sean shopped it and shopped it after Tone-Cool/Artemis folded (essentially as soon as Sean Costello came out), incredibly, to those of us who are lucky enough to have heard it, without success. Some of the tracks came out in new versions on We Can Get Together - "Can't Let Go" (the original, 'soulful mix' is on the Rarities CD available at the Fund's Web site) and "Told Me A Lie" are a couple of them. There are also studio versions of "You Wear It Well," "Check It Out" (which was re-recorded for WCGT, but remains in the can), "It's My Own Fault," "Fool's Paradise," "Make A Move," and many more. Centervolume reports that this project is likely, eventually (finally), to see the light of day. Hallelujah!

Edited to apologize - I typed all that not realizing the thread continued on another page, and that StephenT had already answered tweed135's question!

stephenT

It sure is. Wonderful song! Didn't you and Sean back Bill on that tune when he recorded it?
Sean and I played on Bill's version of a Ross Pead/Bill Sheffield song "Trouble (When It Starts)" on Bill's "Journal On a Shelf" album.

I'm proud to say that (my/our) little Sunday night at Northside has been a meeting point for Atlanta musicians. I introduced Sean to Bill and Sean to Donnie Mccormick,.. who wrote "Have You No Shame". Donnie's singing with Sean on his version from "We Can Get Together". (all these guys knew of each other, but never had met face to face).

Sean and Donnie, w/ Charlie Wooton and Oliver Wood also had a side project called "Coup de Ville" for a short period of time.

It was quite a night at Northside the first time wildman Donnie Mac came in when Sean was playing with us. One of those rainy Georgia nights, rain coming down sideways, hardly no one in the club. We were playing a particularly hard driving song and Donnie grabbed a metal folding chair and would drag it across the floor (like a soft shoe) and then bash it against the steel pole in front of the bandstand on the beat (with wild glee in his eyes and a smoking cig hanging from his lips). I know Sean dug it but wasn't sure what to think and was also a bit scared (as was his date, i think it was a first date, you could see she was way out of her element). Donnie was a force of nature, Donnie and Sean together, wow.

They are gods/saints/fallen brothers to us, every Sunday night @ Northside is like church.

mr tom

Great story, Stephen! Sean loved Donnie - and he said he learned more about showmanship and getting over with the audience from watching Donnie than he did from anyone else, ever.

I would love to hear the Coop recordings someday. That was one hell of a talented foursome.

SCOTT CABLE

In the studio on the Nappy sessions Sean Used a Brown Princeton and on the live gigs with Nappy he used a large tweed Gibson . I sold him a great Magnatone in either 1999 or 2000 for $250 at a club we played together frequently in Myrtle Beach . I tried to buy it back but he had already sold it! Sean bought a nice Pro in Buffalo that he used a bit as well. On another note ...Sean LOVED Lurrie Bell's work and we stayed up until dawn one night watching a live video of Lurrie...Sean constantly rewinding it in parts he wanted to learn. I passed out and when I woke up he was crashed on the couch video still on. He was brilliant and a very funny guy. A great hang on off nights too.

stephenT

Great story, Stephen! Sean loved Donnie - and he said he learned more about showmanship and getting over with the audience from watching Donnie than he did from anyone else, ever.
Just like Sean, there will be no more Donnie Macs. Donnie played with us (or rather, we played with him) almost four years on Sunday nights and Sean was there for many of those Sundays, watching Donnie. Amazing guys, we were so lucky to have them as friends and bandmates.

custom kid

yup, his boss tuner on the BJ and the '90's goldtop reissue.
Thanks for clearing that up!

Didn't realise those amps were that loud.

Doesn't look like there's a mic on it either.

Those clips from Maddy's are some of my favourites. There's lots of earlier footage on youtube of him doing some of the same songs..but I think the clips from last year really show how he kept getting better and developing.

stephenT

In all the years I knew Sean, every time I heard him play he was better than the last time i heard him play, even if it was just the next day.

Goldie295

To a degree this whole thread proves little more than the fact great players sound like themselves no matter what they play through - be it Brown Princetons, Blackface Deluxes/Pros, Goodsell, Vintage Gibson amps etc. Also, there is a series of videos out there of Sean playing a cheapo 'Vintage' Gold Top copy retailing at about 250 quid. Sounds just like his '53.

The guy was off the scale.

My band has only done a few gigs since we formed a couple of months or so ago, but already we have two Sean numbers in the set and the guys are just loving his stuff. Also, I am pleased to say that English audiences are really getting into his stuff and following up on all the plugs we keep giving him - which is great.

We had a brainwave and worked out something approximating one of his songs at a recent soundcheck. Here is the version we turned out later that night. Just love his versions of this song. Amazed just how quick it is - a very hard one to control, no doubt, though he always made it look very easy !

Trending Topics

Top Bottom