• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Sean Costello: What Amp?

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
Does anyone know what gauge strings sean preferred??
I'm pretty sure I read on here that he used .11s...sometimes .12s and he mostly played in standard tuning unless the song called for drop D, etc...that's what those who knew him have told me!

bluesbreaker59

Gold Supporting Member
I'm pretty sure I read on here that he used .11s...sometimes .12s and he mostly played in standard tuning unless the song called for drop D, etc...that's what those who knew him have told me!
Yep .11's, I believe he even told me D'Addario's too, but I do specifically remember the guage.

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
Didn't realize so much was going on at the Northside Tavern. I lived right down the street in '03-'04. Went to the Tavern once. Diviest dive I've ever been too. Shame I missed all that.

DMichel123

I'm more curious to know how heavy he went on the low strings....48w, 52w, etc?
I have a copy of this, and in the interview, he said he was using 12-52 on the road with Susan. When he started back playing after a month-long break, he went down to 11-42. He was using those gauges at the time of the interview and said, "I could probably stand to go up on the lower strings."
http://tonequest.com/content/estore_details.asp?product=47

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member

shaky fingers

The lick he does on THIS at 3.00 is wild !!

He was one of those JLV style players, whereby maybe you only got see 10% on any given day of what he had under the hood.

The more I see and hear, the more I wish I'd just got on a plane, arrived at Sanford airport and made one of his gigs. When things happen and life does what it does best (worse) the lesson is always the same - Live for the day !!

I still haven't caught Jr Watson. I really must do that.

Cheers,
Phil

Thats Harry James Flight of the Bumble Bee....or at least it sounds like that to me!!!!

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
I don't agree at all. The tone on the clip linked above is very average and nothing to get excited about at all. If that was THE example of a vintage Les Paul Gold Top I'd say no thanks, doesn't do it for me at all.

Now check out this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrkv5ey1Oq4&feature=related

Or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPmIPaWdChU&feature=related

Now that is tone to knock your socks off! :dude

It completely blows away the tone of that first clip. He didn't always sound like that. I don't know what amp he was using at that gig at the Crossroads Cafe but those are the best clips I've ever seen of him. He was on fire! His playing and his tone is incredible, and unmatched.
Agreed. I've watched the Hucklebuck so many times and I still marvel at the playing and tone. It's just perfect.

jawjatek

I'm more curious to know how heavy he went on the low strings....48w, 52w, etc?
I fixed his custom shop Tele one time (bridge PU had a broken wire on the outside wrap; I took off a turn and resoldered it) and the case was full of D'Addario 10-46 gauge wrappers. One time he asked me to run get him some strings (he was playing with a broke G at the time I walked in) and IIRC he said 10s or 11s were fine, he didn't care. Not sure what he used the last couple years because I (regrettably) kinda fell out of touch with him.

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
For you guys who knew Sean, do any of you know how Sean set his Fender amps? Sometimes it sounds like his amp is up somewhat loud, but his guitar is turned down low. His overdrive is very mild a lot of times, so not sure if he getting it that way, or if the amp is lower and guitar is on full volume.

Just curious :)

I'm a huge fan of Sean's and just read every page of this thread. To say its filled with heavy hearted emotion is truly an understatement as anyone hearing or seeing Sean I believe can only come away with a feeling of awe, respect, and more than a bit of sadness. The man was a complete musician and entertainer in my opinion without all the ******** that surrounds too often the majority of top talented musicians. Ain't gonna' be another one like him ever.

stephenT

For you guys who knew Sean, do any of you know how Sean set his Fender amps? Sometimes it sounds like his amp is up somewhat loud, but his guitar is turned down low. His overdrive is very mild a lot of times, so not sure if he getting it that way, or if the amp is lower and guitar is on full volume.

Just curious :)
Generally the amp was set lower, under 5 and the guitar was close to wide open. Those p90 really put a lot of signal into the preamp, not so much hot as "wide". When Sean would go for a solo, it was all him getting the extra output from his guitar by digging in.

On his electrics Sean did use 12s for a year or so but ended up w/ 11s. He did like DRs for awhile, He had a deal w/ Dean Markley the last couple years, but I'm sure he'd use what he could find out on the road.

You're right, Cleet, there will never be another like Sean.

I hope you'all own Sean Costello-At His Best Live,.. if not, please buy it,...

http://www.seancostellofund.org/

Last edited:

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I just discovered him last week too. He definitely had that early electric blues style down. Great player.

Vibrolux

Gold Supporting Member
Great talent. I watched many of his videos last night. Read this entire thread this morning. I deeply appreciate what his family has done with the foundation. Everyone should look into their work and keep listening to Sean.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom