Sean Costello - which pedals was he using in the later days??

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Goldie295, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Goldie295

Goldie295 Senior Member

On Sean's last recordings (both live and studio) you can hear he was using an auto-wah and tremolo pedal.

I am sure I read somewhere his Trem pedal was a Fulltone Supa-Trem.

Any ideas regarding the auto-wah??

Any knowledge of other pedals Sean used??

Just curious.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Phil

2. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

A friend of mine who saw Sean play quite a bit said he only used a Boss tuner and a Fulltone Supa-Trem. I don't think he was a pedal guy. More of a guitar/amp player.

3. Goldie295

Goldie295 Senior Member

Yep, that is why his use of an auto-wah pedal toward the end of his playing time with us is quite interesting. Just wondering about the make and if anyone saw him use anything else. Thanks.

4. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I wasn't aware of the auto-wah. I'd be interested in hearing more about this as well.

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

He was so NASCAR; just totally in control at the fastest speeds, always on the road. I admire the hell out of his work. There's clips of him playing the Los Lobos song, "I Got Loaded", and his solo is just so unconventional but very much within the context of the song. Not just blues riffing & wanking, which is how I approach it, instead Sean plays a very floating, Tiny Grimes sorta riffage then goes into his solo. I tried it that way the last time I played the song and it was like driving in a totally new neighborhood. He developed into a very blues unique player treading away from the boxes but still leaving enough rope to find his way back to home base. I love players like this!

6. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Just a note here, "I Got Loaded" is an old song, not Los Lobos. I don't remember who did the original version, Lowell Fulson? Maybe Mr. Tom knows. Sean gave me a CD of songs to know when he started playing our Sunday Nights at Northside in '99 and it had that and many tunes that ended up on "Cuttin' In".

Sean had a bunch of pedals around the house, I remember an Austone Vibrostomp he tried to get the Magnatone sound he loved, (check out Robert Ward with a real Maggie), there was a Memory Man and I think there was a Boss auto wah.

Sean could barely keep up with his microphones, he was always loosing them, I can see why he used few pedals on stage. He wanted a pedal board when he started playing with the trio, I have given him one of my old boards to put together with his pedals but it wasn't to be. That project never was completed.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  7. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

stephenT, thanks for sharing your information about Sean and his gear. The last time I saw Sean at Northside he only used a Boss tuner and a Goodsell. May have been a 33 not sure. Richard was there with it. Great night and great tone.

8. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Sean had a Goodsell Custom 33,... 2x10 combo.

9. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Supporting Member

Peppermint Harris

10. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

Phil, some delay on some tracks too. He told me was one of those pink Ibanez AD9 analog delays. fyi.

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Oh man! What great info, I never knew. One of the crappy things about CD's and car viser holders - no more checking out the liner notes. Thanks for setting it straight for me. :drink

12. t135

t135 Member

You would probably be one of three people in north america who would know that. I always thought it was a Jimmy Rogers tune.

13. mr tom

mr tom Supporting Member

The Harris track shares a title with, and preceded, the song that Sean and Los Lobos performed, but it's really an entirely different song. The great number we're talking about was originally performed, in 1966, by the Louisiana outfit L'il Bob & The Lollipops.

14. mr tom

mr tom Supporting Member

Ha! That would be "Sloppy Drunk," which I do not believe was (despite the writing credit) originally a Jimmy Rogers song. Sean played the hell out of this one, too!

15. Goldie295

Goldie295 Senior Member

Just a plain old Boss Auto Wah eh?? Good for him. Made that thing sound great...of course !