• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Sean Costello

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member

SEAN'S
BLUES CD RELEASE CELEBRATION
@ the Northside Tavern
Saturday, October 24, 2009

Music Starts at 10pm​
A Celebration of the Landslide Records Release
Sean Costello - Sean's Blues - A Memorial Retrospective
Featuring Sean Costello Bandmates:
Paul Linden, Terrence Prather, Matt Wauchope and Melvin Zachary
with special guests
Dave Gross
Rod Hamdallah
Art Holliday
Jon Justice
Jon Liebman
Joe McGuinness
Bill Sheffield
Stephen Talkovich

I wish I could make this!!! Its great to see that he's still living on though!

stephenT

I'm looking forward to the night and seeing my good friends. I'm playing "What About Love", a Freddy King tune.

I never heard Sean play it on stage but I remember one sunny Atlanta day I'd gone to meet Sean at his old apartment to grab him up for some lunch at La Fonda, I stood outside his door and listen to him play for a half an hour before I knocked,.... "What About Love" was one of the songs.

I want to thank Glenn and Debbie for thinking of me, it's a deep honor to be included.

Forgive the repost of this picture, one of my favorite of Sean. I took it in Duluth, Mn. at their blues fest, I wish I could remember the conversation. I suspect we were making light of some situation.

cg

Gold Supporting Member
I'm looking forward to the night and seeing my good friends. I'm playing "What About Love", a Freddy King tune.

I never heard Sean play it on stage but I remember one sunny Atlanta day I'd gone to meet Sean at his old apartment to grab him up for some lunch at La Fonda, I stood outside his door and listen to him play for a half an hour before I knocked,.... "What About Love" was one of the songs.

I want to thank Glenn and Debbie for thinking of me, it's a deep honor to be included.

Forgive the repost of this picture, one of my favorite of Sean. I took it in Duluth, Mn. at their blues fest, I wish I could remember the conversation. I suspect we were making light of some situation.

What a GREAT photo. Amazing....

Goldie295

New album is out.... 'You Don't Know What Love Is' is the highlight for sure... I've always liked the song, Brad Renfro used to sing it at our local blues jam(he died a couple months before Sean)
One of my favs. Jimmy Johnson always makes that song his own also. Sean's cd is on order.

McNevin

Stephen, thanks for sharing that story. Hope you have a great night. I'm sure you'll make Sean proud with the Freddy number.

McNevin

One of my favs. Jimmy Johnson always makes that song his own also. Sean's cd is on order.
Killer Costello tone on this one! About a year ago our band had the honor of backing up Jimmy Johnson for a night. He shared some great stories about Magic Sam (they were neighbors in Chicago), Otis Rush, and many of my other heros.

We liked playing You Don't Know What Love Is so much that we've never stopped. You can imagine my suprise when I heard Sean's recording of this. I don't think I ever saw him play it out though. Has anyone else?

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member

Great post and pic! Looks like he always kept his guitar taken care of!

guitarlifestyle

I like guitars.
Gold Supporting Member
Great picture! I wish I could have seen Sean live just one time. Thankfully, there are a lot of YouTube videos out there.

DMichel123

SEAN'S
BLUES CD RELEASE CELEBRATION
@ the Northside Tavern
Saturday, October 24, 2009

Music Starts at 10pm​
A Celebration of the Landslide Records Release
Sean Costello - Sean's Blues - A Memorial Retrospective
Featuring Sean Costello Bandmates:
Paul Linden, Terrence Prather, Matt Wauchope and Melvin Zachary
with special guests
Dave Gross
Rod Hamdallah
Art Holliday
Jon Justice
Jon Liebman
Joe McGuinness
Bill Sheffield
Stephen Talkovich

I'll see you there Stephen! I've been trying to get down there again for a while.

I used to see Sean(and sit in) about every 6-12 months, most of the time at Northside. I went down a while back and Stephen was gracious enough to let me sit in w/ his band 'Uncle Sugar'(FKA Fat City Wildcats). I had some video from that night, but quality was terrible... I love Northside Tavern. That place(and being in ATL in general) are special and bring back great memories of Sean. I didn't know him nearly as well as Stephen or Paul, but I know that Northside was, and could even be renamed, Sean's Place.

Danny

mr tom

We liked playing You Don't Know What Love Is so much that we've never stopped. You can imagine my suprise when I heard Sean's recording of this. I don't think I ever saw him play it out though. Has anyone else?
Yep, at the same Chicago show that the Sean's Blues "Motor Head Baby" came from. I also have a 2002 recording from France where Sean played "You Don't Know What Love Is." It did seem to come and go from the live set pretty fast.

SCOTT CABLE

Mr. Meaner, I think whoever wrote that for Delta Groove was rollin' his own. Certainly Sean was aware of SRV, but I too heard him decline requests for those songs in performance situations, insisting "We play blues". Instead, he cited Led Zeppelin and a Howlin' Wolf cassette tape as the catalysts in his "turning towards the blues" and I would be interested to learn of anything he ever played that sounds remotely like Stevie (or John Hiatt). He _did_ cover at least one Jimmie Vaughan song beginning in 06 or so, and as long as I knew him, he cited JLV as a major stylist and influence. You can hear Sean tipping his figurative hat to Jimmie on "Every Shut Eye Ain't Sleepin'" on Nappy Brown's Long Time Coming disc.

On Every Shut Eye Ain't Sleepin that was Junior Watson on guitar. Sean was in the control room with me and Watson was in the big room with the whole band playing a Statotone through a Brown Princeton. Sean and Junior played on several tracks together and Sean actually played guitar on the majority of the record. He used his old Gold Top and a Brown Princeton on everything except for "Give Me Your Love" on wich he used a Strat or Tele...I cant remember . He was fantastic in the studio and Nappy thought he was just incredible. Junior enjoyed working with him as well. He was an incredible talent.

Mr Meaner

On Every Shut Eye Ain't Sleepin that was Junior Watson on guitar. Sean was in the control room with me and Watson was in the big room with the whole band playing a Statotone through a Brown Princeton. Sean and Junior played on several tracks together and Sean actually played guitar on the majority of the record. He used his old Gold Top and a Brown Princeton on everything except for "Give Me Your Love" on wich he used a Strat or Tele...I cant remember . He was fantastic in the studio and Nappy thought he was just incredible. Junior enjoyed working with him as well. He was an incredible talent.
Here's a video of Nappy and Sean... Great Stuff!!! Still hard to believe they'd both be gone in a little more than year after...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH7N6urQZko

glblues

paging stephenT!

i was rather facinated by your t90 guitar which you built for sean.
i, too, have a similar guitar but with a tele neck in the middle :)
i was just curious as to what body wood you used for your t90?

stephenT

paging stephenT!

i was rather facinated by your t90 guitar which you built for sean.
i, too, have a similar guitar but with a tele neck in the middle :)
i was just curious as to what body wood you used for your t90?
PM-ed.

Mr Meaner

Hey everyone! Just wanted to touch back with this post and see if anything was going on... Any news on the Sean Costello past or present?
Hope all you guys had a Merry Christmas and starting 2010 healthy, safe, and prosperous!!!

Take Care!
MM

jjboogie

Supporting Member
Hey everyone! Just wanted to touch back with this post and see if anything was going on... Any news on the Sean Costello past or present?
Hope all you guys had a Merry Christmas and starting 2010 healthy, safe, and prosperous!!!

Take Care!
MM
All his friends still miss him. :(

mr tom

In one newsy item, Sean's Blues is on the final ballot for the upcoming Blues Music (formerly Handy) Awards in the Historical Album category. You must be a member of the BMA to vote (I think the entry-level membership is $25) unless you are 20 or younger, in which case a free membership may be available (I'm working from memory here), but a membership is not a bad thing for more than one reason. Details at http://blues.org.

Strat59

and from the same day in Duluth, Mn. 7/21/2001. one of my favorite pics I took of Sean.

Seriously Nice pic of Sean. Latest V.G Mag made mention of a New Release , " Sean's Blues " A Memorial Retrospective (Landslide Records) Previously released & un-released tracks from 1996 - 2002.

Great talent just starting to bloom. RIP Sean.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom