• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Sean Costello

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
Seriously Nice pic of Sean. Latest V.G Mag made mention of a New Release , " Sean's Blues " A Memorial Retrospective (Landslide Records) Previously released & un-released tracks from 1996 - 2002.

Great talent just starting to bloom. RIP Sean.
I know that Sean is recognized as being a blues great but it kills me that he was labeled as a "blues" guy in the industry. I was listening to a radio interview by him not too long ago (can't remember where I found it, I'll go see if I can find it again) and he was expressing that he didn't agree with being put on a subsidiary type label that focused on blues music.

When I listen to Sean, I can hear that music really going over well with the masses. I saddens me to the depths of my heart that more people don't know about him. He also jokingly says that maybe if he started working out and got a six pack that he'd be more successful...haha.

In my rock and roll dreams, I sometimes think about how I hope to have some sort of platform where I can share music like that with everyone on a large scale. I'd love to cover a few of his songs (although I know I won't be able to do them justice) on my next few albums.

Those of you who were close to Sean - can you tell us a little more about his frustration with the label and the overall business of things? As a musician going through all of that now, I'd love to hear more about it from his angle.

McNevin

Really nice to see some new posts here. I was fortunate to get to know Sean, although only briefly, when he would travel through town. I was introduced to Sean's music by my former guitar teacher who was a fellow student of Sean's at the Guitar Work Shop. They were the minority who were playing blues. Sean was really cool when I told him that we had a mutual friend, and the next day we got together for lunch. I'm a few months older than Sean, but to me he was like a hero. Such a smooth cat. So I got to know Sean, if only just a little. The point to my ramble is that I'm amazed at how much I miss Sean.

Well nice to see some discussion going here. I try and share some of Sean's music, cause its about all I can do.

stephenT

No question that Sean was disappointed with his marketing. He loved classic blues, but also dug The Band, Dylan, Nora Jones, Sam Cooke, Al Green. He was getting into some classic country that some of us were feeding him too. I've got some 20 songs he recorded with Amy and Levon Helm,... all folk songs and roots music. Sean's playing some mandolin and acoustic and harmonizing with the Helms.

I can't remember who wanted to put together a "Young Turks" tour, you know, the young guys who were playing blues. I won't mention any names but Sean was insulted, couldn't believe it, said "Have they listened to my music?". When he came home from those L.A. gigs a few months before his death, one at the Viper Room (with industry weasels),... he was even less impressed with the industry.

I always felt it would be the next thing that would make Sean famous, when a guy as talented and good looking as he was can't crack the music biz,.... doesn't make any sense.

The New York sessions (unreleased) show Sean trying to get out of his Young Bluesman label. He was very proud of "We Can Get Together". He thought it was his best effort and had some of his best recorded guitar playing and best songs. He enjoyed the freedom of his three piece band and with the current release of his latest CD, so he was devastated when that band broke up just a few months after. It had been a long road since he started playing professionally at 16 and Sean felt beaten up.

You know, one aspect of his life hasn't been talked about publicly and I'd like to address one misconception. I never thought of Sean as an alcoholic or a druggy. He never missed a gig, he always gave the most he possibly could at a gig and had a good work ethic on the job. There were times he didn't drink for long periods. For a guy who had social anxiety problems he accomplished some amazing things.

Last edited:

AJ Love

yeah I never really heard or thought of Sean as a Bluesman either. Blues was certainly one of his influences but he was one of those guys who played it all and molded it into his own take on the Soul/Rock/Blues thang... he was a remarkable talent and what impresses me most about him was the energy he put into his performances

Celticdave

Seeker
No question that Sean was disappointed with his marketing...
yeah I never really heard or thought of Sean as a Bluesman either. Blues was certainly one of his influences but he was one of those guys who played it all and molded it into his own take on the Soul/Rock/Blues thang... he was a remarkable talent and what impresses me most about him was the energy he put into his performances
stephenT - thanks for sharing that. That's what I was putting together from all I've heard. It may have already been addressed but what happened with Susan T? Did Sean ever open for her or stay in touch? I'd think that she could have at least put him in front of the right crowd that would have appreciated him. The idea that one artist can get another "signed" is a bit off (they can only do so much) but helping each other out is another. I just think that with all the people Sean interacted with, surely one of them could have given him that step up he needed.

AJ Love - I agree with you completely. Sean's music is in heavy rotation and has been for a long time. To me, he was the product of many different influences. How the biz could tag him as a straight "Bluesman" is beyond me. Then again, a radio station a few years ago deemed me the "New face of the blues" during an interview - I was taken back and politely let them know that wasn't the case. I may be heavily influenced by the blues but that's the foundation of just about all music I love! It sounds like Sean dealt with the same frustrations...

stephenT

Susan and Sean had a personal relationship along with the professional, certainly those dynamics played a part in their separation.

Susan did request that her cut on Sean's Blues could not be purchased alone and donated her performance royalties for that song (maybe two songs, she plays rhythm on Big Beaver) to the Fund, which was a nice thing to do.

Celticdave

Seeker
Susan and Sean had a personal relationship along with the professional, certainly those dynamics played a part in their separation.

Susan did request that her cut on Sean's Blues could not be purchased alone and donated her performance royalties for that song (maybe two songs, she plays rhythm on Big Beaver) to the Fund, which was a nice thing to do.
That makes sense. I'm sure it would be a little odd if he was still around quite a bit with her being married to Derek and such now.

So, was he focused on getting a Major label deal or do you think he would have been happy working with a good Indie that could push him further? From that interview I heard, he seemed pretty disgusted about the whole thing (as I mentioned before).

I just hate that more people couldn't have seen him. I share his music with just about everyone I know. It gets me deep in the heart that I was so close down that way and never knew he was even there.

Last edited:

stephenT

Sean would have enjoyed any label association that would have promoted him well and helped him get to the next level.

And I never saw Sean bitter about anything, so I wouldn't use that word. Disgusted maybe.

Celticdave

Seeker
Sean would have enjoyed any label association that would have promoted him well and helped him get to the next level.

And I never saw Sean bitter about anything, so I wouldn't use that word. Disgusted maybe.
Edited...thanks for pointing that out.

custom kid

He enjoyed the freedom of his three piece band and with the current release of his latest CD, so he was devastated when that band broke up just a few months after.
Hi Stephen - had Sean already put another band together when he passed, or was he still in the process of doing so?

I mentioned on another thread that I really like these clips on youtube with Damien Lewis and Dustin Sargeant.

Was this band only together for Sean's local gigs around Atlanta or was it more permanent lineup that went out of town too?

Last edited:

Mr Meaner

Hi Stephen - had Sean already put another band together when he passed, or was he still in the process of doing so?
I know this question was for Stephen and I'm certain he knows exactly, but I believe he had at the time just recently come off a horrid West Coast tour with Aaron Trubic and Paul Campanella... Then, I believe Paul still played with him for a while. I've seen a local television clip(March2008) just after the west coast tour on youtube with Sean, Paul, and Dustin Sargent... Actually, I've seen the videos you're talking about and just now realized it wasn't Paul Campanella drumming... Still yet, I'm sure Stephen can give you the exacts of his bandmates during that time.

stephenT

Sean was doing some pick up gigs,.. played with me at Fat Matts and did a few dates w/ Damien and Dustin as "Sean Costello". Those were bad days for Sean, he was trying to figure things out. He was tired of the disappointments.

He talked about doing smaller gigs around town and maybe some backing stuff like he'd done w/ Nappy Brown. Sean had just met Joe McGuinness and they were talking about doing some music together,...

aarontrubic

The link to this page has been sitting in my inbox for over a year. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started reading it four hours ago.

At certain points I had to get up, compose myself, and press on to the next post. To say that I was overwhelmed to read all of your remembrances and kind words about Sean would be a gross understatement - even if it comes as no surprise. He touched everyone he knew so very deeply. I certainly can't recall anyone I've ever known that made such an instant impact with people from all walks of the earth.

It's rare when a week goes by without an email from a friend or fan that either has a question about Sean, or just wanted to share a fond memory, video or photo. What an amazing testament to someone who was so wonderful, so brilliant that could illicit a complete stranger to send me note because of an article, or Youtube video, simply because they were moved, and wanted to tell someone about it. Truly amazing.

I wasn't one of those that knew Sean his entire career. My relationship with him was brief (3-4 years), even if it was extremely concentrated. It's nice to hear people talk about Sean's younger days - events that occurred before my time in the band. These stories always seemed to describe a happier, less encumbered spirit than the one I knew.

I'm going to leave it there. It's 6am and I think it's about time to turn in. I really just wanted to thank everyone on here for such an appropriate tribute to Sean's incredible legacy. If Sean had ever read anything like this about himself while he was with us, he would have turned beet-red with embarrassment. Just thinking about that makes me smile from end to end. ;-)

TheReaper100

Thanks Aaron...his talents are missed daily by his fans. I continue to play several of the live shows that were linked here many months ago....love the Germany show the most. Best wishes to you.

Celticdave

Seeker
Has there been any more talk (or production) of his live shows for a DVD? I'd love to see the NYC Living Room sessions in their entirety. I cycle through them constantly...

Brudr

Took me a while to listen to his music after he passed. A great talent and refreshingly humble and gracious human being. This was at The Double Door, Charlotte.

DMichel123

Has there been any more talk (or production) of his live shows for a DVD? I'd love to see the NYC Living Room sessions in their entirety. I cycle through them constantly...
Iain Martin has a couple of shows on film. I played with him at this show:

Iain has the whole show on film. I've been waiting for Iain to get it edited, but he's a busy guy. Sean was on fire that night and I would love to revisit that evening on DVD some day.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom