• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Sean Costello

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
I heard he got the goldtop from a guy that owns an atlanta vintage shop that was close with him, and it was from before they were crazy money. Goldtops didnt go up a lot until 2002 or 2003.

Does anybody know where a studio recording of "Love is Amazing" can be found? I know of the live one on the tribute CD, but the studio recording with the music video on youtube is my favorite. Wish I could have it in full quality!

That's what I've heard as well...that guitar just defined his sound IMHO. I've seen/heard him on other guitars via Youtube or wherever and it's still good...but it's great with the GT.

You can have it in full quality! http://seancostellofund.org/store.html

Sean Costello | WFRG Memorial CD of Rare & Unreleased Tracks - Limited Edition | WRFG Radio | 2008
$25.00 (+ $3.00 shipping & handling)

1 Your Love Is Amazing (Studio Version) 3:59

and many more incredibly great tracks.
I'll add this to my Christmas list!

Brudr

Don't have a lot of details on the Goldtop, but the night this picture was taken in Charlotte, NC he was wailin' on it. Sean really used the guitar as a tool for his soul and never babied it. Between sets he would just lean it up against his amp, no stand. In addition, the guitar fell off his strap twice during the show, he just caught it a kept on playin' . I yelled out "strap locks" between songs and he just laughed and said "too expensive!".

I miss his passion and talent dearly!

Celticdave

Seeker
Don't have a lot of details on the Goldtop, but the night this picture was taken in Charlotte, NC he was wailin' on it. Sean really used the guitar as a tool for his soul and never babied it. Between sets he would just lean it up against his amp, no stand. In addition, the guitar fell off his strap twice during the show, he just caught it a kept on playin' . I yelled out "strap locks" between songs and he just laughed and said "too expensive!".

I miss his passion and talent dearly!
What a great story! Man, I know I'm like a broken record but I feel like him and were soul brothers. It tears me up that we didn't cross paths out here...

I'm seriously considering covering one of his songs on my upcoming album, I'll have to get in touch with his family about it.

I just picked up this '79 ES-335TD-CRS and am hoping to have that "connection" with it as well...where is that GT now? I think it'd been mentioned before, I'll have to go back and read this thread again.

stephenT

Sean and his step dad bought the '53 from Frank Moats at Atlanta Vintage. Frank called Sean about the guitar and told him he had the best Goldtop he'd ever played. Sean traded in a custom shop Fender Blackguard he's been playing. The price was $8K and it was Glenn who footed the tap.

Just so folks know, Sean was under a doctor's care, he had been living with his Mom and step dad until a couple days before his death, his close friends were concerned and always supported Sean,..

Celticdave

Seeker
Sean and his step dad bought the '53 from Frank Moats at Atlanta Vintage. Frank called Sean about the guitar and told him he had the best Goldtop he'd ever played. Sean traded in a custom shop Fender Blackguard he's been playing. The price was $8K and it was Glenn who footed the tap.

Just so folks know, Sean was under a doctor's care, he had been living with his Mom and step dad until a couple days before his death, his close friends were concerned and always supported Sean,..
Wow, that's amazing that he believed in him so deeply. All I ever got was the "that guitar won't take you anywhere" speech! I'm sure Sean was appreciative of their sacrifices as well.

stephenT

Sean's Mom and stepdad have the '53 and a few other's, his ES-175 he played early on. They have several amps as well.

Celticdave

Seeker
Sean's Mom and stepdad have the '53 and a few other's, his ES-175 he played early on. They have several amps as well.
I wonder where they'll end up? Wow, if I had any kind of money worth giving, I'd be getting in touch with them. Those are the kind of things you hold onto forever...

stephenT

I was looking through my photos for something I hadn't posted in this thread,... found this photo I took during the sessions for Cuttin' In. Some of my photos were used on the inside cover for that CD. This was at Jeff Bakkos studio in town (ATL).

dukeh62

Silver Supporting Member
I was fortunate enough to play Sean's '53 goldtop while sitting in with the band one night up here in CT. What an amazing instrument that is. Put my reissues to complete shame.

matt_trask

Glenn Smith, Sean's stepdad and a few of us musician types have lunch a few times a month. We were talking about what interest and relevance Sean has to music lovers and guitar players, now that's is been a few years since he passed.

We were all in agreement that Sean's legacy will continue to grew and his recorded work will stand as a testament to his incredible talents.

Buy your Sean Costello CDs from the foundation, buy extras for your friends, give 'em as Christmas presents!

www.seancostellofund.org
I would love to sit down with Sean's stepdad for lunch and see how he feels about Sean's legacy. Must be awesome to have a stepdad who cares.

stephenT

Sean's stepdad was with Sean on lots of gigs, traveled to gigs, took him to gigs before Sean could drive. Basically was his road manager for many years. Both of Sean's parents encouraged him and invested in Sean. As any good parent should, and the same with their other children. Really, Sean had the best parents a kid could ask for,..

Celticdave

Seeker
Sean's stepdad was with Sean on lots of gigs, traveled to gigs, took him to gigs before Sean could drive. Basically was his road manager for many years. Both of Sean's parents encouraged him and invested in Sean. As any good parent should, and the same with their other children. Really, Sean had the best parents a kid could ask for,..
That warms my heart hearing that. Not all of us have that in our lives and I'm sure it made some of those hard times a little lighter knowing someone was there.

We can shrug it off all we like but deep down, we all still have a yearning for our parents' approval...even if just a little.

Rockinrob86

Gold Supporting Member
I was just listening to some records, and it got me to thinking...

Is there in hope that Sean's records would be pressed on vinyl?

I think I would kill for Sean Costello or We Can Get Together on vinyl.

Maybe I will get rich one day and can pay for it!

Celticdave

Seeker
I was just listening to some records, and it got me to thinking...

Is there in hope that Sean's records would be pressed on vinyl?

I think I would kill for Sean Costello or We Can Get Together on vinyl.

Maybe I will get rich one day and can pay for it!
Let's do this together when I break out as well...cool?

Rockinrob86

Gold Supporting Member
Let's do this together when I break out as well...cool?

Actually, if enough of us got together it wouldnt be stupid crazy. People are going to buy them eventually, I just introduced two separate guys I know from school to sean today with a mix CD. both of them called me after a couple hours to tell me how blown away they were by it.

I would guess to have 1,000 copies of each record made, it would probably cost something like 5-7k to have it mastered and pressed with everything done right so it would sound as good as it could.

If 50 of us put in $120, say we could get two copies of each record. that would leave 900 of each to be sold, and the profits could just go to the fund since the cost would be covered.

Celticdave

Seeker
Actually, if enough of us got together it wouldnt be stupid crazy. People are going to buy them eventually, I just introduced two separate guys I know from school to sean today with a mix CD. both of them called me after a couple hours to tell me how blown away they were by it.

I would guess to have 1,000 copies of each record made, it would probably cost something like 5-7k to have it mastered and pressed with everything done right so it would sound as good as it could.

If 50 of us put in $120, say we could get two copies of each record. that would leave 900 of each to be sold, and the profits could just go to the fund since the cost would be covered.
I turn a lot of people onto him as well, and maybe there are some more fortunate than we are, but I'm pretty pressed for cash right now and am selling off gear to get into the studio as it is.

I always mention Sean in interviews and to others who I know will love his music. :D

Rockinrob86

Gold Supporting Member
I turn a lot of people onto him as well, and maybe there are some more fortunate than we are, but I'm pretty pressed for cash right now and am selling off gear to get into the studio as it is.

I always mention Sean in interviews and to others who I know will love his music. :D

I am pressed for cash too. But a man can dream right?

I just have a much better vinyl setup and 95% of my music is on vinyl, so it is a real bummer to not have those two albums, which I consider all time classics, on my preferred format. I can just hear the needle in the run out groove after "little birds"

Celticdave

Seeker
I am pressed for cash too. But a man can dream right?

I just have a much better vinyl setup and 95% of my music is on vinyl, so it is a real bummer to not have those two albums, which I consider all time classics, on my preferred format. I can just hear the needle in the run out groove after "little birds"
I fully understand...hopefully, we can all bring more awareness to his talent.

:BluesBros

Trending Topics

Top Bottom