• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Search function - why 4 character minimum?

A.j.

Why does the search function limit searches to four characters or more?

It's frustrating, especially given that this Web site focuses on gear discussion. There are plenty of pieces of gear with three (or less) character names.

An example...

I recently searched for DL4, but the search function reports "No matches". Of course, this isn't true. A search for Line6 DL4 gives plenty of results - but they are results with EITHER Line6 or DL4, and only occasionally both (searching the term in quotations marks doesn't help.)

Maybe there's something I'm missing here. I'd be happy to learn what I'm doing wrong. Also, wasn't sure where to post this, so apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Aj

wsaraceni

its just the way the software works.

you can do two things

search for DL4*

or type into google.

DL4 site:thegearpage.net

EricPeterson

I have had similar problems searching for Wah, any of the Boss numbers: DD-5, DD-7, OS-2 etc. There is a google search function that works but you cant limit it to a particular forum section or to titles.

drod2045

Silver Supporting Member
ive thought this for a while! there are so many acronyms that products or even companys go by that would benefit from a 3 character search

of course you can only think of them when youres searching but now they escape me....
SKB
Dl4
DD3,5,6,7 Delays
ATA

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
I've wondered this myself.

This is part of the reason there's an infinite number of "OCD" question threads, because people can't serach easy enough.

Things that I've wanted to serach for, but can't

OCD
TS9

A.j.

Well at least I know I'm not alone in my irritation! I'll try the asterisk kludge, thanks.

Still, I wonder if there might be a simple config tweak in the software for this (admins?). I could swear I've been on other sites that use this same software, and there was no "4 character or more" search limit.

Aj

Edit: I just tried searching for DL4* using the TGP search page. Didn't work! (Still getting "No matches.")

Last edited:

Trending Topics