Searching for a great CLEAN amp, for effects.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rocksully, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

Hi everyone.
    I could use some advice on what amp to look into for a fantastic clean amp.
    The downside is that I am in Bermuda, where I cannot demo anything of quality as it is not available here.

I currently run a 65 Amps Marquee and an Orange AD30TC.

Both amps handle effects very well, but in all honesty they do not do exactly what I need.

I used to own a UK Vox AC30TBX, and a 76 Hiwatt Custom 50.
    (I got married and had to sell some gear)

Im at the point now where I need a serious quality amp that is PERFECT for effects, as I run a rather large assortment, including all of my various ODs.

The Marquee is a little to compressed for what I need.

Ive been researching Divided by 13, but I have no idea what one to look into.
    I used to own a Fender Pro Twin, but I am a UK Audio guy. I love Vintage UK amps.

Id love to find another Hiwatt style amp, but a modern one that is very very reliable, as getting any Tech work done in Bermuda is next to impossible.

Any advice on what to research would be greatly appreciated!

2. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

Ohh, this will be for gigging and recording, not just playing at home.

3. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Althought I neverd owned or played through one, The Dr.Z Stang Ray is reported to have a lot of clean head room. It is bassed on the non top boost Vox AC30 circuit. 4-EL84 power tubes .....it's also noted as being very loud and takes pedals well.

Maybe this will fit the bill???

4. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Can you get a Blues Deluxe in Burmuda? Do you have an amp tech there?

If so, I've found a handful of mods make this into the ultimate gigging pedal platform:
    1. V30 Replacement Speaker - gives you incredible headroom, while maintaining amp's warmth. Also brings more British sensibilities to the tone mix.
    2. Replace input jacks with Marshall, PCB-mounted ones - Both Fender and Marhsall jacks fit the same PCB footprint, but the Marshall ones are much more robust.
    3. Replace the two power resistors with the same values, only leave the legs longer so they stand further off from the PCB, avoiding heat related warpage and cracking.
    4. Replace Sovtek preamp and power tubes with either =C= (formerly Svetlana) or JJ's.
    Seriously, this amp is like half a Twin Reverb, with more presence and immediacy. It KILLS with decent OD pedals.

6. geng

geng Member

Mesa Lonestar might be the answer. Great clean and break up, lots of usable features (10, 50, 100w; tweed mode) and you can use either 6L6 or EL34 power tubes for different flavor. Takes pedals very well both in front or in loop.

7. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

If you love vintage Hiwatt, go for a Reeves or rebuild a vintage Hiwatt.

9. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

Wow, I'm in Bermuda too. Small world...
    I'd consider a Fuchs Clean Machine. It's made for exactly what you describe. I have a Fuchs ODS and the clean channel is top notch.

10. es125luv

es125luv Member

+1. I think this would be a great choice for what you are looking for.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    +1
    Lonestar cleans & reverb are fabulous, it's very pedal friendy & versatile. The Mesa 5:50 is equal to it also IMHO plus has a lot more gain for $500 less. Plus check out the new Mesa Mark V that'll be released in March.

For using effects you should only consider Series Loop amps too. Reject any suggested parrallel loop one's.

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Modern Hiwatt? I'd look into the Harry Joyce stuff. There's one in the Emporium now. I'd get it in a second if I could, but alas I'm quite broke (in the most proverbial way possible, I might add!). :eek:

13. bynt

bynt Member

Can you get a hold of a Silverface Twin? Huge cleans.

14. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

I do miss my Hiwatt and Vox, but of course buying one again now would be almost the same as picking up a new boutique amp.
    Im a full out 65 Amps convert, but I would like something modern that sounds like my Vintage Hiwatt Custom 50.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

15. atalog

atalog Member

16. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

IMO, a JCM800 2203 or older JMP loaded with 6550s would make an incredible pedal platform, or a fender showman. Both aren't too expensive used and build very well and easy to service.

17. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

18. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

I post this all the time when posters ask this question.

A Heritage Colonial works great for me for this purpose. Leon C. turned me on to it. It's 50 watts but feels more like a 100 watter. However, it sounds excellent at low volume. It's great with pedals.

The cleans are beautiful and you can get a BIG Fender style clean or a big Marshall style clean which is surprisingly beautiful too. I love playing clean leads but have never found an amp that doens't sound wimpy, until the Colonial. A big part of that is the wattage and any high watt amp can give you those stout cleans. Not that many high watt amps give you such gorgeous sounding cleans though, in my opinion.

I got mine used for 1200 used. A real bargain for a hand wired amp. It's a very tough amp to beat for the money.

19. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I've been running a Gibson GARVT for a while and love the cleans on it. The verb and trem are kind of weak, but what do you expect for a Sub $800 chinese amp. Anyways, for the coin, the cleans are beautifull and it works well with dirt boxes and just about any other effect I stick in front of it.

20. alberob

alberob Member

Red Iron Amps make exactly what you are looking for.The Mil Spec is a 30 watt ,6L6 driven amp that is ultra clean.If it's too expensive try a Roland Jazz chorous.:AOK