Searching for a guitar? Or searching for an identity?

darchirnoj

I have and have had a few great guitars.

Yes still, I'm constantly internet searching for, "the one."
And maybe if, and or when I get," the one," I suspect I'll still be searching...for another one of greater significance.

Call it G-A-S, or whatever..
But a small part of me feels like I'm searching for more than just a guitar.
It's almost as if I'm looking for the most compatible extension of myself (in an instrument), but yet something that's different from what everybody else has.

Like I said, the instruments I have are great, as are those that have come and gone.
...and yet, still I search....

Anyone else?

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
I think I understand your plight, and my advice would be to try and stop over thinking!

Select a guitar that allows you to freely express the music you hear and then commit.

Kind of like a woman. There may be lots of choices, but ......

As least, IMO and YMMV.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
No matter how many electrics I get, I realize I try to sound like an acoustic. That's my tone. No matter how many acoustics I get, I do sound like "myself."

So once in a while it's fun to tart things up, but the keepers are the ones that help me best sound like me. I'm not saying my tone is better than everyone else's - but I know what sounds best with the way I play.

For example, I sound more like John Denver than I do Django. Just the truth.

I sound more like Tom Verlaine then EVH. Just the way it is.

The funny thing is when I try playing Television on acoustic. Then you really hear both worlds, and it's hilarious.

edit - I made this video in 2009 - been 7 years already? sheesh. but i still have that acoustic (and that mic) - once you find something that gets your sound out, keep it around. you'll regret ditching it (even if you gotta put it in storage sometimes to keep things fresh).

i may play a bit better now, and youtube HQ has improved, but that still captures enough to remind me "oh yeah, that's me."

Last edited:

stevel

But a small part of me feels like I'm searching for more than just a guitar.
It's almost as if I'm looking for the most compatible extension of myself (in an instrument), but yet something that's different from what everybody else has.
Maybe it's musicianship you seek.

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe it's musicianship you seek.
Probably something to this. Lots of stuff (guitars, amps, pedals, picks, you name it) sold based on who plays one, and some of that probably is at least an unconscious feeling that some of that player's musical ability or feel or whatever will be part of the deal.

conanb

I think there's a lot of comparisons to be drawn between your relationship with your guitar and your relationships with other people. I've found, in both situations, that when you're getting bored it's you who's boring, when things get tough you have to work harder, and if you can get through the bad times the good times get better and better. Commit to one for a period of time and you'll reap the rewards IMO.

Nevets

For me, my guitar is more of a 'this is my guitar, there are many like it but this one is mine' thing than a need to have something different than anybody else.

cabrato

I had an SG that was perfect for me in terms of the look and the set-up and everything else. I had also had a Fender Deville, a Vox Wah, and a Line 6 delay, and had really started developing a style based around the weird harmonic overtones I could get with that set up.

Then, stupid me left my gear in my car overnight, because I came home from practice and had an audition in the morning. Went out for the audition, whole ****ing car gone. I got the car back but they took the gear, which in classic musician fashion, was worth more than the car.

I haven't been the same player since, partly because of financial problems and not being able to properly replace things. I bought a Les Paul off my friend but I've ever quite gotten comfortable with the 50s neck and sharp tone.

darchirnoj

I had an SG that was perfect for me in terms of the look and the set-up and everything else. I had also had a Fender Deville, a Vox Wah, and a Line 6 delay, and had really started developing a style based around the weird harmonic overtones I could get with that set up.

Then, stupid me left my gear in my car overnight, because I came home from practice and had an audition in the morning. Went out for the audition, whole ****ing car gone. I got the car back but they took the gear, which in classic musician fashion, was worth more than the car.

I haven't been the same player since, partly because of financial problems and not being able to properly replace things. I bought a Les Paul off my friend but I've ever quite gotten comfortable with the 50s neck and sharp tone.
That sucks. Sorry to hear, man.
You'll get it back.

Trending Topics