Searching for Best 40-60 Watt Tube Amp (Head Preferred)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tsbot, Feb 26, 2015.

1. tsbot

tsbot Supporting Member

I'm in the market for a new amp. I currently have a Vintage Sound Vintage 22 (Fender DRRI but handwired booootique) and Fender Twin RI (that I use my looping playback).

I'm looking for more clean headroom and searching for a head only. I have a Hard Truckers 2x12 with G12M Greenbacks but I just ordered 2 Celestion Vintage 30's for it.

There is a Mesa Purple stripe long head here on TGP for $950, not sure if I'm sold on Mesa - I've had a Red Stripe and had trouble always messing and tweaking it. My living situation was different then - regular neighborhood with closer houses, but I now live in the country a bit and can turn things up when wife and kids aren't home and turn them up a little even when they are.

I'm looking for a head only for my HT cab probably in the 40-60 watt (tops) range. Trey Anastasio is the tone I'm emulating.

I've searched for a Bogner Shiva 6l6 head only, but they're
    hard to come by it seems. Also saw the Carol Ann OD2. Any other suggestions for those Trey tones?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    www.3rdpower.com
    In a couple of months, I'll be ordering a British Dream MK II. I currently own a Diezel and a Marshall. The British Dream will give me everything the other two amps will not.
    Incredible amp!
    Happy hunting :)

3. TimH

TimH Member

more headroom than a twin? There is no such thing (within reason). If the twin not being a head is the issue then go ahead and have it converted for a few hundred bucks.

4. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    In the 40-60 watt range, I doubt that you will find any amp that has the head room of a Fender Twin.

5. tsbot

tsbot Supporting Member

Sorry guys I wasn't clear on the Twin. It's not my primary amp, I only use it for playing back the loops from my Boomerang III and use my Vintage Sound - and amp I'm looking to buy - to play leads and such over my loops that are playing through the Twin. (I hate looping and jamming over it through the same amp.

That's why I think the 35-50w range will be good - I think with a little volume it could still break up on its own. My 22w breaks up too early for me.

Thanks!!

6. logdrum

logdrum Member

The III would work, now that you can crank it up. But with the truckers cab, I would go easy or zero on the bass on the lead channel. NOS preamp on V1 and V2 plus a nice Phase Inverter tube are also gonna help and I am convinced now that JJs are not great for these older marks. New Tung Sols or Mesa's own tube are better.

7. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Dr Z EZG50 head, 50watts, super loud, super clean, lots of headroom, 2 6L6's, Fender sounding

8. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

More clean headroom than a twin? Easy, one of the big Redplate amps. They are also not stiff., a little bouncy.

9. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Member

I would buy another amp to do the loops. The twin is perfect for what your wanting. You could buy a lot cheaper solid state amp just to play the loops through.

10. Jimmys15

Jimmys15 Member

The efficiency of Vintage 30's over the G12M's may give you the extra head room your looking for. The difference in volume is equal to more then doubling the wattage of your Vintage 22 amp.
    You may want to give the Vintage 30's a proper break in first, you may find you don't need a bigger amp.

Craig

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Are you specifically looking for a channel switcher?

12. tsbot

tsbot Supporting Member

Thanks guys,

Not a bad idea on the Twin being the main amp - except it kindof defeats my HT 2x12 cab.

I am going to give it a few weeks once I get the V30's to try out - that may be the answer, but I've always wanted just a head and cab setup - I do like the Vintage 22 combo though -easy travel with when playing with friends.

Not necessarily looking for a channel switcher, get most of my dirt from my 2 TS 9's.

Although I'm intrigued by the Carol Ann OD2 and the Bogner Shiva 6l6 Head.

13. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

The Suhr / Jim Kelley Head is exactly what you're looking for. It's like a Deluxe reverb on steroids, plus it has half power, footswitchable boost, and a pull-knob mid boost that will get you Trey's thing in a hurry.

They're expensive new, but worth it. I've seen a couple pop up into the Emporium a few times lately.

14. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Go for an early NMV SF Bassman (no later than say a 73/74 NMV Bassman 50). That circuit revision had much more headroom than the BF/Early SF Bassmans. Plus you can jumper the channels and get a bit more volume. 45-50 watts and with an efficient speaker you won't get breakup until it's damn loud. Those transformers are huge and give that great chime but plenty of percussive bass thump. I like my SF Bassman as much as my BF Bassman. Similar enough as they are both Bassmans but each with their own character. I almost modded my SF to BF specs when I first got it. Some here convinced me not too. I'm glad I listened.

Plus you can easily find them for $500-$600.