Searching for NOS Mullard CV4004 for my V1 slot in my 2203x

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by daneswede1, Nov 20, 2005.

1. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

Does anyone have any info on a tube guy who might carry this tube. NOS Mullard CV4004? I want to slam one in the V1 preamp slot in my Marshall JCM800 reissue. I als ohave some RFT NOS 12ax7s which I have used before and sound great. Also have a couple of new no nameer 9th gen CHinese 12ax7s which also have pretty good tone. This way ill have some options going for my tube choices.

I have heard that roughly 80% of your preamp tone comes from the V1 slot. Thats why I only want to buy (1) NOS Mullard CV4004. And at $100 bucks a pop thats enough!

THere is one other thread that mentions websites that offer NOS tubes and such but none of them carried this CV4004 Mullard NOS? One had it listed as "Out Of Stock" I sent him an Email about letting me know when hell get some more in.

If anyone has info on this particular tube please let me know! Thx!!

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

3. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

Yes, Thank you for that info. Actually I have heard of this tube before. Gonna order one of these then. They mention there are less microphonic as well. THe price isnt as steep in addition. TYou!

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yes, due to microphonics, the Mullard CV4004s have been problematic in high gain amps where the Brimars have been fine.

Also consider the Mullard ECC83s which a just a tad over $100 each.

5. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

try ebay item # 5832279839 $49.99 w/ $5 shipping.

or this one.. item # 5832279272

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Just to give a real world take on this, I have 6 Mullard CV4004's and yes, they are *very* touchy in higher gain situations - microphonic to a one. All of them. They sound fantastic in V2 and work there; but it is an issue in V1 in most of my amps I have tried them in. (Matchless, Guytron, Bogner, Rivera, VHT, GDS, GT, Germino).

7. samwheat

samwheat Member

tejastubes from ebay

i bought 4 from him

8. Erik

Erik Member

I've seen his listings...how does he sell tubes so much cheaper than everyone else?

9. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

He only sells on ebay.

10. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

Just got back, Ill check those out. Tx.

I bought (3) NOS RFT 12ax7s as well as (2) 9th Gen Chinese 12ax7s. Also picked up some RUBY TUBE BSTRS EL34s. Supposed to be good tubes I hear for the Marshalls. I like the NOS SIEMENS EL34s . They have some for sale in the Vintage GUitar Magazine for $120 a QUAD set! EXCELLENT NOS TUbes for the Marshall. Actually, Siemens for a long while came in the new Marshalls back in the 80s. Awesome tubes for a great price. THe Company tjhat has them is called HIGH TEST NOS TUBES INC. I asked the guyabout them and he said he has a bunch of them in stock still! Hence the great price. IMO They are very close to the Mullards tonally for 1/5th the price!

11. DAB

DAB Member

Tejas Tubes

I have considered buying some of his Brimars but have been just a tad suspicious due to the cheap price. Is he trustworthy? Are the Brimar 4004s genuine NOS?

Thanks...Dave

12. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

I put tejastubeson my favorite lis and will look into his stock in the near future as well. If your looking for a reputable guy there is one in the VIntage GUitar mag with great prices on a lot of NOS stock. 90 DAY WARRANTY on all NOS STOCK!!!!!NO ONE DOES THAT that i know of other than this guy. I was thinking of ordering a couple Brimars CV4004s from him. YOu can email him at. I think hell take credit card/debt card or Cashiers.M.O.

norm@coldspringselectricalworks.com

13. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

Dude- Im pretty sure you can get a quad of NOS siemens for 70.00 on the mesa boogie website.-Ig

14. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

scratch that. Thats for a pair. Not too bad though.

15. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    The TejasTubes Brimar CV4004's are the real deal.

In my dealings with Joshua at Tejas Tubes, he has been very trustworthy.
    I've purchased a number of tubes from him in the past few months (including some of the Brimars), and all the tubes were exactly as advertised, and he shipped promptly. I've had no problems with any tubes I've bought from him.

I have no connection to him, just a satisfied customer.

16. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

Daneswede1 - If you are still looking for a Mullard CV4004, I have one I could sell you. I purchased it from Upscale Audio, it is their Platinum grade. I had no problems with microphonics with it in V1 of my Marshalls but I found its extended high end not necessary in my vintage Marshalls. I will sell it to you for $65 in its original box. It has less than 5 hours of use.

17. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

$70.00 for a pair not a quad! Ill double check it though! THanks !

18. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

Thanks for the offer on the NOS Mullard 12ax7! Im all set now though! Got a set of Brimars CV4004s . LEss microphonic in the V1 where I was initially looking to try one out. Also have some Svetlana C wing EL34s in the 81 2203 I am currently using up and will install the NOS SIemens EL34s in their when they are done. The reissue 2203x had Mullard Reissue EL34s and Tung sol 12ax7s installed. BOth strong sounding tubes. My tech is a great guy and tightened up my Marshall/ changed out an incorrect screen resistor he caught that <Marshall had accidentally installed.OOPS!
    T you for the offer on the mullard. Flea bay will be your best bet IMO!People will pay top dollar for a Mullard on there .
    JH

19. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

Thanks again for the feedback. Yes, I am the real deal,,, but NOT the only deal out there,,, just one of them with somewhat sane pricing. Joshua