Searching for Rhythem Sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gregory49, Feb 13, 2008.

1. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I need an OD pedal that stands out when using chord shapes.. from two note chords to full on open chords. I want this OD pedal to be open and "transparent", meaning no mid hump, My LDO already does that. I really need it to stack well with the LDO and Fuzz of any kind. and I even need it to sound great when Clean boosted for leads. Not looking for a heavy dist. Light to med gain.

Pedals I'm considering are The Timmy.

note: I have a honeybee right now that i dearly love its just not doing what i want it to for the single notes. It could be my Cheap Mexi Strat Pickups. Its a great and I mean GREAT pedal.. but I'm just looking for that next thing thats slightly better at doing what i want it to.

if any of that makes some sense please reply!!!!:confused:

2. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Like I just replied in a similar thread. TImmy would work great. /C

3. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

NOC3 Firefly. With the 3 way mid shape switch it has what you need.

It is the best I have had for rhythm and mild OD single note stuffs.

4. gregory49

gregory49 Member

5. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Barber LTD SR (flat mids). The new LTD v2 has a thicker sound with less mids than the previous v1. Or better yet get one with the mod board for control over the mids as well of the bass, treble, presence etc.

6. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Wouldn't the direct drive be a better option? the LTD sounds really copmressed! my LDO already has that covered.

7. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

The Direct Drive has more compression and is voiced toward a marshally sound, medium gain but can do low gain and enters into low high gain. There is a new low gain Direct Drive (LGDD) also. The Ltd comes in many flavors and is a dedicated low gain pedal. The different LTD's basically involve the mid hump starting with LTD v1(now discontinued but still available on some store shelfs) that has the greatest hump, TS'ish. It will cut the mix and thickens up things. The hump is in the low mids. I have one of these with a mod board. The internal trims help me decrease the mids as well as fatten up the bottom with a bass and pre bass trim pot.
    It's not totally transparent, but it's full and sweet. So I scored the LTD sr(special recipe) with mod board and that pedal has no hump. Well I detect an ever so slight one, but can be scooped out with the mid trim. There also a new LTD v2 that boasts of a lesser mid than v1 along with improved highs and lows. Also the LTD silver is closing out and on sale. That one is the next one up for hump from the flattest "sr".

Here's a link to the "Barber shop forum". You can search through it with out being logged in! David Barber is in there answering questions along with his tech Ronni.

http://www.tpngear.com/forum/index.php?showforum=8

8. dave s

dave s Member

what amp are you playing the strat into and give some rhythm tone examples and you'll probably get advice that will get you close to what you're looking for.

dave

9. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Check out his my space link.

10. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question - but what's a mid hump?
    LC

11. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

A mid hump is an increased mid range frequency. Like turning up the mid tone knob on an amp. On an occilliscope the frequency spectrum from the low sounds through the high sounds is displayed with a line going accross a graph. A flat line accross that graph represents equal loudness of all the frequencies, lows, mids, & highs. A flat line with a rise and return to the flat line in the midrange, a little hill if you will , is a mid hump. Some OD pedals are famous for the mid hump sound like the Tube Screamer. On the other hand a scooped mid goes below the flat line and sounds like the modern death metal distortion D-tuned thang.

12. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Gotcha. So what would a mid-hump sound like? Is it a good thing, generally?

13. Dave

Dave Member

Sounds like more mids.;) Is it a good thing? It depends on your rig and your taste. I like a pedal with a bump in the mids for leads or with an amp that needs some help in the midrange. With an amp that already has enough midrange I like a pedal with a flatter response, like the Timmy.

14. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

None of my amps even have mid controls -- just treble and bass. Actually, that's not true. My Music Man has a mid control. I'm still searching for that overdrive pedal I can really get excited about.

15. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Mid is good for solo's. It lets you cut through the band without being overpowering.

I'm playin through a super reveb so theres not alot of mid. I like a flatter EQ Response when Using rhythem overdrive... which i don't use for blues to often(thats what the LDO is for) . so just a good rock rhythem sound. If the pedal can do med or high gain thats great as well!!!! How about the BJF Dyna Red Dist?

Please help guys/girls I've never been more stumped on this one? Where to turn after the honey bee???
    I'm getting my sunlion soon maybe that may work with the volume knob.

so here are some options:
    Timmy
    Barber LTD SR
    BJF Dyna Red
    BJF Honey Bee(it was a mistake get another one)
    Fuzz w/ VOlume knob rolled back
    Keeley BD-2

what do you think?

16. gregory49

gregory49 Member

hey thanks andrew.. sounds like the COT or BD2 may work. I was also thinking of the LP woodrow and I've read the super six may be able to do some of it as well???? Please anyone?

17. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

FWIW I had the Keeley BD-2 and it stayed on my board for a long time as well, but I finally replaced it with the LTD. And this type of thread has been done before and as I recall the top contenders are: Tim or Timmy, better yet try this link.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=352347

Response #8 has a good list.

18. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Timmy
    LTD
    MI Audio Blues Pro.