• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Seattle music - What should I know?

JeffOlson

I used to love going to downtown Seattle or downtown Portland. Now I don't. I stay away. Olympia is as close as I'd care to be at this time...

The last time? The Moore Theater in Seattle to see Robin Trower, pre-pandemic.

(We still have a house in Portland, but we never go there; Doo's Donuts in Olympia are better than Voodoo Donuts in Portland.)

Nivs

My favorite Seattle shop closed recently - The Guitar Store on Aurora. James is really great, and it was the closest shop to where I live. That place had expanded into something special.
They were a great shop with some really nice Fender Custom Shops.

Last edited:

reo73

I'm 47 and I grew up in Seattle, right in heart of the city, and all my family still lives up there. Moved to Orange County, CA in 1999 and would never ever go back there now. First off, no beautiful sunny day in that 2 week window in August can make up for the crap weather the other 350 days of the year. Also, it's a very different city now. Crowded, dirty, congested, not my thing compared to where I live now.

But, still holds a special place in the heart... Go HAWKS!

jbd3

Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks all for the info. Regardless of where one lives in the States, live music venues are struggling and many will not make it, unfortunately.

I'm somewhat surprised by some of the negativity, but also realize that what someone prefers in terms of a city & location is very personal. As a 44-year old professional with a family, I'm more concerned with good schools & opportunities for my crew, as opposed to music venues and shops. The music thing is icing on the cake.
Also, Bikeracr, are you a Bike Racer? I do that too; Seattle is a really good place for that.

jbd3

Gold Supporting Member
My favorite Seattle shop closed recently - The Guitar Store on Aurora. James is really great, and it was the closest shop to where I live. That place had expanded into something special.
Oh, ****. Closed for good? That's terrible. They were truly the rising star of Seattle shops! Every time I went there, they had more stuff than last time. World-class selection of pedals. They're done?

jbd3

Gold Supporting Member
It's a pretty turbulent time in Seattle and environs these days. I've lived here my entire 52 years. I worked right in the heart of downtown Seattle (Fourth & Pike Building) for 25 years, and watched the downtown area go from a dump to a pretty nice place. (I could tell you some stories!) These last few years I fear we have begun a hard backslide.

Now I work a good 70 minutes or so south of Seattle, but the effects of what is going on there ripple outward.

For the first time in my life I have thoughts of wishing I lived somewhere else. I'm not sure how much of my perception is weariness from the "covid trudge" that we are all currently engaged in, how much is nostalgia, and how much is a level-headed assessment of the current situation.
How long have you been at Warmoth? Are you down in Puyallup? I ordered a neck from them for a super strat in 1987; just ordered a replacement Warmoth neck for it last year! Warmoth is amazing. Do you do their demos? I clicked on the link in your footer; that's some great playing.

I first came to Seattle on a tour in '88; Pioneer Square is 100x nicer now. So strange to see tech companies moving in there. I understand what you (and many others) have said here about downtown Seattle being pretty grim. But I think the right thing to do is just try to make it through this current situation. Covid won't last forever (hopefully!) and downtown Seattle will get better again, I'm confident of that.

timmat

Silver Supporting Member
Oh, ****. Closed for good? That's terrible. They were truly the rising star of Seattle shops! Every time I went there, they had more stuff than last time. World-class selection of pedals. They're done?
Yes, the Seattle shop is done. He moved some inventory to Port Townshend, but I think it’s an appointment only thing. Still online I believe.

jbd3

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, the Seattle shop is done. He moved some inventory to Port Townshend, but I think it’s an appointment only thing. Still online I believe.
Oh, man. That's really depressing. Guitar Store was definitely on the way to being the Next great Seattle Guitar Shop. Great selection, and nice guys, too. What a shame.

timmat

Silver Supporting Member
Oh, man. That's really depressing. Guitar Store was definitely on the way to being the Next great Seattle Guitar Shop. Great selection, and nice guys, too. What a shame.
There seemed to be a perfect storm of events leading to the closure. The building got sold, and marked for redevelopment. But it sounded like the new owners were letting them stay a few years until development started. He couldn’t find another storefront in Seattle with reasonable lease rates, so the future was up in the air. The city of Seattle then had a huge street construction project going on right outside the store. You couldn’t really drive to the location, and it wasn’t a walk in kind of location. Then COVID hit. Then the City construction project hit a pipe and flooded the store. Ugh. On top of the fact James didn’t live in Seattle proper. A loss for sure in North Seattle. They participated in a fundraiser during the 2019 holidays and gave 80 kids $750 store credit to buy an instrument. I hate seeing places like this go.

jbd3

Gold Supporting Member
There seemed to be a perfect storm of events leading to the closure. The building got sold, and marked for redevelopment. But it sounded like the new owners were letting them stay a few years until development started. He couldn’t find another storefront in Seattle with reasonable lease rates, so the future was up in the air. The city of Seattle then had a huge street construction project going on right outside the store. You couldn’t really drive to the location, and it wasn’t a walk in kind of location. Then COVID hit. Then the City construction project hit a pipe and flooded the store. Ugh. On top of the fact James didn’t live in Seattle proper. A loss for sure in North Seattle. They participated in a fundraiser during the 2019 holidays and gave 80 kids $750 store credit to buy an instrument. I hate seeing places like this go.
Wow -- perfect storm, indeed. That sucks about rent. That's what's made so many of the venues here close up shop, especially the ones within the city. Sounds like COVID was just the last nail in the coffin. Does he still have any sort of business now? He must have been sitting on a ton of inventory.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
How long have you been at Warmoth? Are you down in Puyallup? I ordered a neck from them for a super strat in 1987; just ordered a replacement Warmoth neck for it last year! Warmoth is amazing. Do you do their demos? I clicked on the link in your footer; that's some great playing.
Been at Warmoth going on 8 years. I live in Kent, 20 miles north of Puyallup. Yep, I'm the guy in all the Warmoth videos. Thanks for the kind words!

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Wow -- perfect storm, indeed. That sucks about rent. That's what's made so many of the venues here close up shop, especially the ones within the city. Sounds like COVID was just the last nail in the coffin. Does he still have any sort of business now? He must have been sitting on a ton of inventory.
He's got an appointment only shop out in Port Townsend, where he lives, and he's selling his inventory online. Check Reverb, the old store website, etc.

Thwap

Platinum Supporting Member
It's a pretty turbulent time in Seattle and environs these days. I've lived here my entire 52 years. I worked right in the heart of downtown Seattle (Fourth & Pike Building) for 25 years, and watched the downtown area go from a dump to a pretty nice place. (I could tell you some stories!) These last few years I fear we have begun a hard backslide.

Now I work a good 70 minutes or so south of Seattle, but the effects of what is going on there ripple outward.

For the first time in my life I have thoughts of wishing I lived somewhere else. I'm not sure how much of my perception is weariness from the "covid trudge" that we are all currently engaged in, how much is nostalgia, and how much is a level-headed assessment of the current situation.
I'm in Tacoma, and pretty much feel like you do.
I've been here for 25 years now, and I thought I'd found heaven when I first moved here.
Now, I'd split in a minute if I didn't have a killer job.

Me Again

You want to move INTO Seattle? Uh...good luck. Have you been keeping up on current events at all? 0_0

Anyway, coming up from Oregon and only visiting a few times (loathed the place), I can’t speak too much on what’s out there and especially what will be out there come the (hopeful) end of this pandemic. But I did have Mike Lull in nearby Bellevue rePlek and setup my Gibson 50s Standard LP. It wasn’t cheap and Mike doesn’t exactly have a soft spot in his heart for Gibson (for good reason and he has no qualms letting ya know), but the way it plays now is really next level stuff.
Mike Lull passed suddenly last December, I think it was. He had just set-up my new Grestch about two months prior and I was lucky to be able to chat with him a while that morning I picked it up. He's done some work on a few of my other guitars too. Quite a loss. That hit the shop hard, obviously, but they're still open with a couple family members involved. I still wouldn't hesitate to take my guitars there. A great shop.

Me Again

I first came to Seattle on a tour in '88; Pioneer Square is 100x nicer now. So strange to see tech companies moving in there. I understand what you (and many others) have said here about downtown Seattle being pretty grim. But I think the right thing to do is just try to make it through this current situation. Covid won't last forever (hopefully!) and downtown Seattle will get better again, I'm confident of that.
It ain't just downtown -- trust me.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
Man, I lived in Seattle (Capital Hill- converted mansion right behind the Community College on Broadway) from '96-'02. You guys talking about Seattle being a **** hole have never spent a day in 90's SF.

I moved to Seattle and didn't realize a city could be that damn clean.

Man, I miss Seattle. I kiss it a lot. The most beautiful place on earth is a June late afternoon in Seattle. Surrounded by water and mountain ranges. I miss it (especially today where its 111 degrees in CA where I'm at).

Trending Topics