Sebago Double Trouble/Glaswerks Zingaro/Redplate RP50/???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thisisajs, Apr 29, 2015.

1. thisisajs

thisisajs Member

Hi there, I'm closing in on my next amp and am looking at 2 channel D style 1 x 12 combos. On my short list so far are:

Sebago Double Trouble
    Glaswerks Zingaro
    Redplate RP50

Most important to me are the cleans. I want that full bodied, touch sensitive sound common to Dumble cleans - my ideal sound is a SSS.

The OD channel I'd like to be more 'Marshally' in the vein of Cream/Allmans/etc. I'm not interested in the 'smooth' 80s style OD many D style amps have.

Anybody have some experience to share regarding the above amps? Are there any others that should be on my radar? Thanks for your help!

WinstonN likes this.
  2. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Maybe a 70's style 3rd-generation with EL34's? Tough to ask out of a D-style circuit IMO. You won't really get the SSS cleans to translate into a Marshall Plexi sound on the leads because in most D-style amps the overdrive is an extension of the clean channel. Most D-style amps borrow heavily from Blackface Fenders... The 70's amps are a bit more raw overdriven than the later amps IMO. My Welagen 80's Skyliner w/ EL34s can get some insane cleans in the style of SRV with a Strat. With my Teles and Gibbies the amp grinds well for classic rock but it has way more mids and smoothness than any Marshall I've played.

3. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Have not played one, Longhorn El Patron has the SSS style clean and a raunchy OD with plenty of gain. I would buy one if I had the coin

4. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

I've played the Longhorn...not really a SSS tone but more like a big tweed with reverb. Great amp, but the low end was seriously lacking for that huge signature THUMP of a SSS.

mcuguitar likes this.
  5. Vai81

Vai81 Member

First hand experience trumps :)

Perhaps another suggestion is a SSS clone plus a marshall style pedal? I hear the circuit apparently 'eats' pedals.

6. MHG

MHG Member

You should also consider Amplified Nation. If you go the pedal platform route, I should definitely check out his Steel String Sultan.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  7. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

In all fairness, it was a 2x12 combo and I'm more accustomed to playing 4x12s. Again, great sounding amp but just didn't WOW me like a good Welagen or Bludotone. EL34s are definately the way to go for what I like to hear from a D-style amp. My gut tells me that the OP would go nuts for a great 70's voicing especially considering the 80's smooth thing isn't their bag.

8. txbluesboy

txbluesboy Member

If it was a 2 X 12 combo it may have been a Longhorn but it wasn't the 'El Patron'. I don't build an 'El Patron' 2 X 12 combo. Maybe it was an 'El Vaquero',
    not the same amp.

9. thisisajs

thisisajs Member

Thanks guys, I agree that a 70s voicing would likely be more my speed. Just need to find one that strikes that good balance between the cleans and more raw OD sounds.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

10. glazed67

glazed67 Supporting Member

I have a RP50r and it may be what you are looking for. I have not tried tho others. Henry at RP will build to order (if desired) and is a great guy to deal with. The OD goes from silky smooth to creamy (ABBish) to crunch and everything in between.

11. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

None of the amps you list have SSS cleans which are distinctly different than ODS cleans. Personally, I prefer ODS cleans which I feel have more character and easier for long term playing/listening. I get ear fatigue with SSS amps after awhile. Too glassy for my tastes.

12. thisisajs

thisisajs Member

You're probably right, and since I mostly play in small/medium clubs I wouldn't really have a chance to get the full benefit of a SSS style amp.

Ultimately, I just want a 'fuller' blackface sound with more touch sensitivity. An ODS style clean can do that, right?

13. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Yes, check out the Two Rock Coral. Great D style amp with very beautiful BF/Dumble cleans. I'm partial to Two Rocks, but Redplate, Glaswerks, Welagen, Sebago and their ODS D style amps will also work IMO. Some D style amps have a lot of bells and whistles and some don't. It's a matter of personal taste at that point.

14. thisisajs

thisisajs Member

Awesome, thanks!

15. MHG

MHG Member

As a strat player, I've never really bonded with the clean side of traditional ODS style amps. Too thin and sterile imo. I'm more partial to the Two-Rock interpretation. Much fuller mids and more organic to my ears. I also prefer the feel of these amps. I don't have a Two-Rock, but my Amplified Nation TR inspired amps sound and feel fantastic. I also really love my RedPlate Truverb. Amazing cleans, and is much closer to traditional Fender tones than any of the others. I can't speak to the Overdrive tones though, as the TruVerb is a 100w pedal platform.

16. Ramblin Hymns

Ramblin Hymns Member

I got Henry at his recommendation to change the xformer in my RP50 so it takes tubes from 6v6's to KT-88's and that might help you get what you are looking for. With EL-34's the cleans are nice which is one thing I didn't like about 34's. The Kt-88's have sort of a chime in the cleans and a good OD. It's a great amp which we named it a RP50PRO. Great amp.

17. thisisajs

thisisajs Member

Good to know. I'm going to check out some Two Rocks and take it from there, there are a couple of dealers in my area.

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

You might want to consider an amp with TMB internal trimmers for the OD channel to dial it in more to your liking. Don't think the Zingaro has that. Not sure about the DT and the RP50.

19. jellewelagen

jellewelagen Member

Overdrive Special bases amplifiers with Treble Middle Bass trimmers are HRM amplifiers. The HRM Overdrive tone is more modern and scooped sounding. Most Single coil players prefer the non-HRM Overdrive Processors. Hope this information helps you,

Jelle

20. thisisajs

thisisajs Member

Ended up scoring a killer deal on a RP40, looking forward to giving it a go!

JackStraw12 likes this.