Second amp for the rig (Vox Ac30 based?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nuno81291, Jun 28, 2008.

1. nuno81291

nuno81291 Member

Hey guys,

I currently run a Hughes Kettner Duotone head into a 4x12 with greenbacks. This nails a 'refined' marshall medium to high gain tone. Also the really nice cleans is an added bonus.

But what I am looking for is something to compliment my rig, something that takes pedals well (mod/od/fuzz). My search has lead me to the Vox AC30 circuit. I love the sound of these when they begin to distort and compress. That slight compressed breakup would work wonders in my rig (think Dean Deleo from Stone Temple Pilots..Vox and Demeter). Now my question lays with, WHAT AC30 do I want?

I would prefer a 2x12 combo, weight is not an issue (I will always have help loading/unloading).

My maximum budget is around $1500. I love what i hear about hayseeds, but I am not to keen on waiting 5 months. There is one on ebay that is close to me, but it does not appear to have a master volume.

My problem with the vox ac30h2 is once again the lack of a master. I am reluctant to buy this amp without trying one (no one around me has anything! bah!) However, maybe an attenuator is a good fix.

All ideas and suggestions welcome!

Mike

EDIT: Also to add, I am more partial to the 'top boost' sound. I also am not partial to extra features like reverb and tremelo, I have a pedalboard for that.

I am also open to clones, building a kit of some sort, or anything that will give me those sort of tones!

2. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

The Orange AD30 is a cool option.

3. nuno81291

nuno81291 Member

^ I heard that and the fact it is an el84 based (class A IIRC) amp makes it very appealing.

However, no one around me has ever even stocked any orange amps so I am a bit hesitant on this. I need to start checking out some clips!

Thanks!

4. jtindle

jtindle Member

The one on eBay says it DOES have a MV.

I would definitely get a Hayseed. I absolutely love mine.

Jeff

5. nuno81291

nuno81291 Member

Oh decisions decisions. I am up in the air between the orange and the hayseed. I really wanted to get a metro plexi kit, but it would be sort of redundant with my Duotone (Killer amp!). I think the orange seems to be a good middle ground between going straight up vox and straight up marshall.

Worst comes to worst, I will buy a hayseed later. I am pretty young (18), so I will have a lifetime of ampage infront of me.

6. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm a huge Vox nut and been through a fair share of Vox amps and Vox-inspired offerings.

You don't hear much about these but I really think the newer Vox Classic Plus's are are great sounding amps. I've played on all of the models but I actually prefer the 2x12 50-watter. It's 2 channels with a master. Green channel is AC30 range. Red is hot-rodded british tone. Tons of chime and mids. Has an FX-Loop and balanced line-out. Reverb stinks and is pretty much worthless but could be used for surfy things. Takes pedals really well. Sounds great with the stick Warfs but I'd probably opt for some Alnico's speakers. Possibly some Golds or Scumnicos.

Decent price and right now Vox is offering 250.00 rebates on the heads and not the combo. You could possibly do a head and 2x12 combo which would be a killer setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

Yes, you mean the Vox AC15 Heritage Hand Wired 1x12 combo with cream colored tolex. This amp is sounds amazing. Street price is $1399.

If you don't at least check it out, shame on you!

8. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Goodsell Amplifiers

superseventeen.com

9. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

The TopHat King Royale would also be an excellent choice,along with the Orange.

10. nuno81291

nuno81291 Member

Yup, I was refering to the Ac15h1tv.

I know either way I will end up owning: Duotone(own), Metro Plexi(68 12xxx), Orange, Vox. To me that is all the major tones I like. High gain british, classic marshall crunch, more focused in the low mids amp, and of course the vox chimey lovely compression!

It is all a matter of WHICH do I buy first! The rest when money allows!

11. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

+1 on the King Royale

12. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

look into the new hw vox heritage amps. IMHO nothing does vox like vox.

no slight against anyone that likes orange amps but they just don't cut it for me, i have owned em and tried to love em but just can't. the ad30TC just sounded really mediocre on both channels, i have heard the ad30r sound pretty good but just not for me.

in your position if you are going for STP i would go w/ an ac-30. if you wanted to go the boutique route, then i would suggest the hayseed, king/club royal or something in the matchless family. i don't like the way TH's take pedals. they seem to only work with the drive boxes they make, this is my opinion obviously but i run and own a ton of OD and fuzz boxes and they just didn't do it for me. but slightly broken up they sound incredible.

Jordan

13. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

:confused:

OK so, Vox is the best. If you want to spend more money for less, get these????

14. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

If you are going to use pedals for drive the good ol' normal channel takes drive pedals better than either the EF86 or top boost channels IMO. You can always top boost a normal channel with a pedal but you can't get rid of the top boost in a top boost channel.

I really dig the top boost and EF86 channels for certain sounds but always find them a little funky with drive pedals compared to the normal channel... especially with single coils. YMMV.

Good luck!

<M

15. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

I think 'less' is a subjective term here...Agreed that Vox does a certain thing tonewise that none of the others quite nail,but TopHat & Matchless are fantastic sounding amps in their own right,and FAR exceed current Vox build quality (or lack thereof)!

16. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member