1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Second Eric Johnson Strat Here

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clothwiring, May 17, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I got my second EJ Strat yesterday, it's nicer than my first. First, the nitro is much dryer. Second, the neck has a nice flame to it. And third, it's Candy Apple Red...not that I can hold that against the first one. :)

I believe it's a tad better overall, but it also feels better in my hands (because the nitro is dryer I beleve). I'm wondering if Fender revised the drying process/time? My SN on the first one is in the 2000s, the 2nd one 9000s.

Anyway, it's a great guitar and will be played a ton more than my first (nothing against the first). I'm also partial to red.

2. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

What color was your first?

3. Luke V

Luke V Member

I am falling in love with my EJ. I've been a Strat guy for nearly 35 years and always preferred rosewood fingerboards, but this guitar just plays, feels, and sounds great.

I just got a thin skin Strat yesterday and so far, I like the EJ a lot better.
    My thin skin is 7.6 lbs and the EJ is much lighter, and just resonates and sustains better.

My EJ ser# is in the 600s or 800s so it has had plenty of time to cure.

The thin skin still smells of laquer, cool, I'm not sure how it will affect the tone when it cures.

Sorry, didn't mean to highjack your thread, I'm just saying I do love my EJ, I have been picking it over my #1 Strat of 12 years.

4. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Congratulations on the new EJ. If I was to ever need another strat to go with my EJ...I'd get another EJ as well:AOK

5. clothwiring

Droptop: The first one is a Sunburst, I got it in November after ordering it in April. Great guitar, but not as good as the new one.

Luke: I was the same way about rosewood boards until I got the EJ. My 50s Cunetto Relic is also a great guitar, maple board and all. I'm probably selling one of my rosewood Strats just because I don't really play it anymore...not that it's a bad guitar, but I have others I just gel with better. It's a 2000 Deluxe Strat with Kinman MK-II pickups and the no-soldering harness. Great little guitar, I just have 7 Strats right now and need to pay down the credit card! lol Also hijacking is totally cool with me as long as it's productive...your message is totally appreciated! Tell me more about these thin skin strats you're talking about.

Thwap: Thanks. The EJs IMO are definately the best production Strat being made, the new EJ just sings. The bassist in the band said after about 2 songs (I'd had the guitar for maybe 2 hours total), "Wood, you can't do no wrong with that guitar...that thing smokes."

6. Luke V

Luke V Member

Clothwiring, gotta love that name.

The Thin Skin Strat is a limited edition AV '62 RI with dark rosewood board 6105 frets and light weight nitro sprayed alder body. There is no poly on the body, only a thin skin of nitro cellulose.

They are also doing a '57 version and some Teles too.

My #1 is has been a '83 AV '62 RI. The neck is much thinner than the Thin Skin neck.

Here's a link.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/avts/62strat/avts62strat_home.html

7. clothwiring

I had a '62 RI I refinished in Sherwood Green all Nitro, it was a pain to get the old poly/sealer coat on the wood off, took many hours of sanding. It was thick. But when I got the guitar all put back together, it just didn't sound as good as before (go figure). I wouldn't mind picking up one of these...but sadly...the credit card bill needs to go down quite a bit before I'm buying anything else. I'm happy with all that I have right now. The EJ was just icing on the cake and I couldn't refuse the deal.

I like the EJ's tuning stability and the thing sings/resonates very well...plus Candy Apple Red...mmm... That makes 3 CARs in my guitar family. :)

8. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Wood, congrats on your new strat. I'm not a strat guy but I did try out an EJ strat and it was definitely a sweet guitar. I may have to add one of those to the family.

9. clothwiring

Thanks Marty. They are some of the nicest newer Strats I've played...if not the nicest. People are really loving the C.A.R. and flame on the new one.

10. DrSax

DrSax Member

So I guess you like the pickups on the EJ better than the Kinman's in your other strat? I'm in such a dilemma as to what pups to put in my strat (American Deluxe). I want to get the Kinman Woodstocks with the no-soldering harness, but at $380 I'm thinking "how good can these things be?"

11. clothwiring

This EJ just sings, I wouldn't change a thing. The Kinman's are also great pickups and are quiet...the EJ can be noisey. If you can do the soldering just get the pickups and throw them in, the harness is cool, but not really needed unless you like swapping pickups in and out of your guitars. I find no use for the K7 switching either. The Kinman pickups are great, but all the extras are too much extra for me. I don't really need all that.