Second guitar to compliment a Gibson R8?

GazzaBloom

I have recently sold up my guitars to get a 2016 Gibson Standard Historic R8. I had a R9 back in 2007 and regretted selling it ever since. The dull ache for another Gibson custom shop wouldn't go away and got worse and worse, and has now finally got the better of me and been satisfied but I had to sell both my current electrics to get it. I have no regrets, the R8 is everything I expected and sounds better than the 2007 R9 (as I recall). I absolutely love the fat neck, never thought I would as I have always shied away from them but as I have got older and my taste has changed my preference is for a chunky neck every time. I can't get on with the modern American standard Fender neck anymore.

So, I now want a backup guitar to compliment the R8, budget is not huge, and I won;t be in Custom Shop territory but it can stretch a little. As many here, I am a fussy sort and it's funny how out of hundreds of makes and models you get an itch for a few in particular.

I have a couple of guitars in mind:

1) Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded worn brown. I like the idea of having my back up guitar in the same tonal ball park so I don't have to reset amp and pedals when switching, but fear the lack of tonal diversity will leave me wanting.

2) Fender American Vintage 52 Telecaster. Another icon to go with the R8, I have had a itch for a AVRI Tele for years but never got there due to a fear of the vintage frets. I love the thought of the big neck, and period correct details, and love the tones I hear on clips, but those frets? I had a Squier Classic Vibe a while back just for fun and the frets on that weren't as tall as I would have liked and I didn't the feel of my fingers pressing on the finger board, or it may have been the feel of a lacquered fretboard. I can play with a higher action, in fact prefer a slightly higher action than I used to, does that help with the vintage frets and fretboard contact at all? Of all the current Teles available it's the 52 AVRI that interests me the most. I guess I could play hell out of it for a year and get a refret with 6105s further down the road.

Any Studio Faded or 52 AVRI owners care to chime in?

jdel77

Get a Jazzmaster. It's the antithesis of Les Paul.

I bought a 1987 MIJ Jazzmaster cheap, had it refretted, upgraded the pickups to Lollars including a Lollar P90 for Jazzmaster in the bridge, Mastery bridge and I rewired it myself with better quality pots and also with Russian PIO tone caps. Slapped on a black pickguard and I reckon it's money.

How I love that guitar.

Last

Keep in mind that the Studios will not only have different pickups they will be weight relieved or chambered and will sound a lot different than your solid body R8.

TRGuy

I'd go Stratocaster, but a Telecaster is a suitable alternative if it calls to you more.

You can get Fender Custom Shop guitars used for about the same as an AVRI I think? I'd go down that route.

Bluesdaddy

Maybe try to find one of the 52 AVRI hot rod teles. They have medium jumbo frets and 9.5 radius. Older ones have a mini hum in the neck that sounds great. I think newer ones have a full humbucker.
I think there are some special run "thin skin" 52 teles that have bigger frets as well but may be hard to find.
G&L asats are a great option as well.

sliberty

Since you love those big fat necks, I'd suggest a Historic 57 Les Paul Junior. They run around $1300 used, and are the deal of the century at that price. And the P90's will give you a very different tone/feel without forcing you to reset your amps. I am partial to P90's frankly, and mine is my #1 guitar.

But if you aren't considering alternatives besides the 2 you mentioned, get the Tele. The Studio will never get any playtime when you have the R8 around, and so that money will be wasted.

TBennetts

I would do the Telecaster. I have owned an R8 the same time as a studio in the past. The quality of the R8 made me not even want to touch the studio. I did not have any issues picking up my tele or strat.. they are great guitars in their own manner. If it is not down to just those two guitar, my recommendation would be a tele thinline. They are freakin AWESOME and way different than what Gibson has to offer with an R8.

Good luck on the hunt brother!

GazzaBloom

Since you love those big fat necks, I'd suggest a Historic 57 Les Paul Junior. They run around $1300 used, and are the deal of the century at that price. And the P90's will give you a very different tone/feel without forcing you to reset your amps. I am partial to P90's frankly, and mine is my #1 guitar.

But if you aren't considering alternatives besides the 2 you mentioned, get the Tele. The Studio will never get any playtime when you have the R8 around, and so that money will be wasted.
I like the suggestion of a LP Junior, can't see anything used here in the UK at present but like the thought.

Also, the point regarding the Studio Faded is a good one, I agree the R8 is so good that you might be right and the Studio would get little love.

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
'Backups' to me mean another Gibson Custom Shop :)

But if you're looking for another dual humbucker short scale design to go along with it an SG or 335 wouldn't be a bad choice.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Suck it up, be patient, and save your pennies.
The R6 or R4 makes for the most outstanding compliment to a R8 as I have ever experienced.
Different enough with similar satisfaction.

ahab

Suck it up, be patient, and save your pennies.
The R6 or R4 makes for the most outstanding compliment to a R8 as I have ever experienced.
Different enough with similar satisfaction.
I have had the same experience with an R6 and an R7 (never played an R8). A P90 Les Paul and a Humbucking Les Paul are wonderful for providing a wide range of tones!

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
If you want something in the same tonal ballpark so you don't have to fuss too much when changing guitars, I would look at a Memphis ES LP or Memphis 335's. Less coin than Custom Shop but killer guitars if you find a good one.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
If you want something in the same tonal ballpark so you don't have to fuss too much when changing guitars, I would look at a Memphis ES LP or Memphis 335's. Less coin than Custom Shop but killer guitars if you find a good one.

+1 Almost posted all three.

Trending Topics