Securing input jack on a Tele?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Rotten, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

After a practice session today I unplugged the cord from my new Nocaster. The complete input jack came out with the cord. Is this something that I just tap in to secure or should there be something else holding it in? Thanks!!

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it's held in by a little metal rectangle jammed crossways into the wood across the hole.

it's a terrible design, basically the one thing leo got wrong on the tele.

do yourself a favor and get one of these instead:

[​IMG]

the Electrosocket will fit right in and be way more secure. also, if you ditch the star washer and screw the jack right into the electrosocket, it'll be just tall enough to allow you to use right-angle cables.

3. Rotten

Thanks. Does that just screws diagonally into the wood? Just want to make sure I don't damage anything.

4. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

That has screws that go diagonally into the wood. ATMO, Walter is again Wright. (SWIDT) The little stamped claw was a bad idea from the get-go and I'm surprised it works as well as it does, but it is doomed. Especially when the jack inevitably needs to be replaced.

The Electrosocket works well, goes in cleanly and stays reliably, even when it needs removed and replaced down the road.

5. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

A les paul style mounting plate works well too...

6. walterw

Sure, just at the price of visible screw holes if you ever go back to stock.

7. Copper_Head

Copper_Head Supporting Member

8. Oldmanpoop

Oldmanpoop Member

Electrosocket is def the way to go. I put them on all my teles. IMHO they should be standard from the factory. Those cup sockets are trash.

9. chervokas

chervokas Member

Yup, save yourself any future hassle and just go w/ the Electrosocket. Fender really should make that type of jack mounting standard on Teles at this point.

10. walterw

i just wish i could find a cool brass nickel-plated one (or even unplated brass) instead of the boring satin-chrome aluminum version!

11. Rotten

Sorry to keep coming back; I'm a novice at these things. To install the Electrosocket, do I need to drill little holes for the screws or can I just screw them in with a bit of effort? Worried about stripping the heads. Thanks!!

12. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I would bet they are self tapping screws. So screw in until relatively tight/snug, but DO NOT over-tighten or force.

13. willc68

willc68 Member

It would not hurt to predrill holes if your guitar is a hard dense wood but in the past I have installed more than a few of them without doing that and had no problems.

14. bunny

bunny Member

Nocasters, unlike Telecasters have a socket ferrule pressed into the body, no inserts inside (which sometimes also come out with the socket and is much harder to repair without special tools and some expirience). Glue the ferrule in.

15. Rotten

Thanks everyone. I was a bit worried when I didn't see the little metal insert. That explains it. I had a bad experience with my ASAT Classic; G&L glues their jacks in and when I had to replace it, it was a royal pain. I think I will stick with the Electrosocket.