Securing to board, long pedalbox screws needed. Help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jemlite, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I bolt my pedals down to my board instead of Velcro. I find this to work pretty cool since almost losing a pedal or two to drunk idiots over the years. It doesn't modify or hurt anything on the pedal, and is super secure. I guess the only neg is having holes in your board and if you change things around allot.

For those not picturing what I'm doing... Get extra long same thread screws and use the bottom cover of the pedal as a template, drill holes, and then run the longer screws up through the bottom of the board into the pedal.

It's been easy to find longer screws for most pedals at the local hardware store... Except, my D13 Switchazel, (and it's a huge box that I’d really like bolted down).

I'm guessing the box is foreign, and the screws seem to be a metric 3.5mm. (Definitely not 3 or 4mm. I tried those and it’s in the middle... US doesn't work either).

Does anyone know where I can find a 3.5mm thread screw about 1/2" long for this thing? It appears to be rare (I've done some searching). Makes me wonder how they had such a supply to stick them in there to begin with. :confused:

Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)

2. woof*

woof* Member

i use another variation on that idea... i use these spacers, actully they are bicycle chain link halfs... the thin dark metal kinda figure 8 shaped deals with two holes that make up one side of a chain link.. i got them on ebay from a guy that sells them for this purpose. you attach one end under your pedal with the pedals screw like you use and the other half you use a self tapping/wood screw into the top of your pedal board. he sells them as kits including rubber washers and screws but he also sells just the link sides and thats what i use. i got about 100 of them for 10$ i think. been using them for a couple of yrs and they work great.

3. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

Link ??

4. woof*

woof* Member

sorry,
    its been a couple years since i got them and i cant remember what they were called or exactly where listed on ebay. i spent 10 minutes searching ebay for a link before i posted with no luck but ive seen them i think in the pedal area many times since then. all they are if you can picture one link of a bicycle chain and just one side of it. the dark blue thin metal with two holes for rivets or whatever holds them together on a chain. they really do work great. guys got a good idea.

5. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Thanks, I'm familiar with the bike link trick. I'd prefer to find the long screws though...

Anybody know of a good fastener place that would have 3.5mm screws?

6. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I bought a bunch of these, too, and they work great. I saved the seller's eBay UserID for future reference (it's trixxianvitolo), but he doesn't have any auctions running right now.

For any item these things won't work on, I use 3M Exterior Mounting Tape. It's industrial strength double face tape, and I know it sounds weird, but it works a hell of a lot better than velcro when it comes to keeping things solidly in place, yet isn't too difficult to remove when it's time to rearrange things.

As for those 3.5 mm screws, I checked the Metric Thread Pitch Table at The Bolt Depot and they don't have a 3.5 mm screw listed on the chart.

7. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

re-tap the box up to 4mm?
    I'm sure you thought of that, but I thought I'd mention it. I wouldn't personally even consider that a mod to the pedal if I was buying it from you.

8. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Have you checked the thread pitch with a pitch gage? Have you measured the outside diameter with a caliper or micrometer? There are two or three thread pitches for SAE threads there are numerous thread pitches available for metric threads as well. Why don't you call Fred? That is his name isn't it? The Switchazel is made in California by /13 right?

9. Randy

Randy Member

I doubt he'd use something as exotic as a 3.5mm. If the OD of the thread measures 3.5mm that's .138 of an inch which is the OD of a #6 screw. Are you sure it's not a #6-32? Can you count the number of threads per inch (or in a half inch and double it)? It's probably a standard size. I have access to hardware like this and can send you some if you can identify it. You may need to borrow a dial caliper to accurately measure the thread OD.

10. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

11. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Many thanks guys. Some good ideas.

Hmmm...
    It is def not #6-32. Tried that. It is in between sizes of 3mm and 4mm, for sure. Not sure if it is metric though. Could be SAE, but it seemed in between on those too.

The original screws are only about 1/4" long, and the threads are very fine looking, so kinda hard to put a pitch guage on it. I'll try a micrometer on it for dia for starters though.

I'll give Fred a call and see where he gets the boxes. But I'm sure they could be from anywhere, they are the same exact box as the one Pete Cornish uses in UK. ...(probably from China :D )

12. Randy

Randy Member

FWIW the standard ANSI thread pitch for a 3.5mm screw is .6mm, which would be about 42 threads per inch.