See here's the thing about Greta Van Fleet

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by bdonnelly, Sep 7, 2018.

1. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

i Like em for a good year and a half. No they may not be ultra talented but OP, they are more than “solid”. They write some good tunes and I like listening to it.

Lots of great music is from bands with maybe not individually talented, but collectively are great. Stones, Beatles, AC/DC, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Zep, Aerosmith... ain’t any virtuosos... maybe Greta will be on the road to that caliber someday. They still need to find their identity. But they fill a void that has been vacant for so long with music and fans. Good, raw music without the BS.

Ironically sometimes the music is better when the individual players aren’t so good! Lol.

2. RobBottom69

RobBottom69 Member

Dorothy is actually opening up for Greta Van Fleet at the Masonic in SF on 9/19.

People like what people like. I happen to be enjoying this group. In fact I haven't been this excited about a band since Guns& Roses in early 1988. The songwriting is good IMO, which sets them apart. I also like Jake Kiszka's tone and playing. Are they the only band playing new rock? No. People like what they like. I'm not here to pass judgement if they don't like GVF nor am I passing judgement on bands I just don't happen to like. Can't wait to see them on the 19th.

Edit: I did check out the Rival Sons clip and liked it too.

mfranzdorf likes this.
  3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

I can understand why so fans many moved to 'bro' country.
    Catchy tunes, relatable lyrics, danceable..old rock formula...while we are all waiting for the next Bon Jovi.:beer

4. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

Go to your local vinyl record store. Ask the guy or girl working there. Ask them what you want. You will leave there with new things you never heard.

5. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

I could not make it more than 30 seconds because of the drum sound. Awful and lifeless.

6. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Same , I saw Priest with Saxon maybe 5-6 months ago & they crushed it!! Their new record is probably their best record in 25 years , they played 4 or 5 songs from it & people here in LA were into it. That was a crazy - packed - high energy & great show.

7. MrX

MrX Member

Like them or not GVF is in full steam mode and from what I can see nothing will be stopping that locomotive anytime soon. I say more power to them!

mfranzdorf likes this.
  8. la noise

la noise Member

Aren't GVF the Hanson of Classic Rock... right down to the brothers thing?? :huh

ROKY, johnnyjj and pepedede like this.
  9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

I was at a barn party a couple of weeks past.
    Pretty big crowd, mixed ages. I noticed a teenage/college age girl with a GVF tee shirt.
    I know those GVF boys will get somewhere if they get that 'classic' audience on their side.
    The Biebs is old news to his older fans and they need fresh faces.
    GVF marketability is why they are getting the push.
    The big music machine still works.

10. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I liked the vocals and melody in that, but good grief, the rest was just a hard mastered racket. To me, the best thing about GVF is that their records SOUND like the era they're inspired by.

11. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Yep, if there was good song in there, it was buried under that nonstop blaring guitar that was mastered as loud as possible.

12. NotTheArrow

NotTheArrow Member

They don’t compare the WM. Those guys are killer.

blandy-rhoades and ckfoxtrot like this.
  13. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

I'm 100% with you.
    I really like Rival Sons and I think their singer is stellar.

on the other side GVF are not moving me, so far.

Defendant and la noise like this.
  14. Highway Man

Highway Man Member

I just don’t get GVF, or any of the purposely ‘retro’ stuff tbh.
    Robert Plant is one of my favourite rock ‘n’ roll vocalists, and to say the GVF singer sounds like him is way off mark IMO.
    Plant could sing high, but he also had a lot of depth in his voice. This GVF guy does not.

I have no issues with GVF doing what they do, as long as I don’t have to listen to it.

I’m young, I listen to music from all eras, but I just don’t care about music that says ‘Things were better in the old days, so we’ve copied it.’ Isn’t music about creativity?
    Fair enough, take something, change it, add something (as early hip hop did with old soul, R&B and rock samples); don’t become a mirror image, though.

There are a few artists - Gary Clark Jr and Norah Jones spring to mind - who perfectly surf the line between respecting what went before and somehow adding something new to it. Just my opinion.

la noise, ckfoxtrot and hotrats73 like this.
  15. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf Member

Why does Greta Van Fleet seem to get singled out for this kind of discussion? I mean, there are young bands all over the place that I’m sure have a derivative sound to one classic group or another.
    Is it just because they are doing well right now? I don’t see other bands getting dissected and examined quite like these young guys.

It makes for great discussion though and has lead me to other music I wouldn’t have heard maybe.

16. sleep

sleep Member

I wish them the best, but I think they're the Jet of the late 2010s. I doubt they'll have a career the way that bands like Floyd or Zeppelin or the Stones did, our attention span just isn't that long and the can't keep the LZ schtick up forever. Their music is OK from what I've heard, but it's very shallow (especially compared to Led Zeppelin, who they appear to be imitating).

As far as why they get singled out more than other bands... I think it's mainly because the singer is working soooo hard to be Robert Plant that he cops his mannerisms in addition to his vocal phrasing, style, and even his word choices. That just doesn't come off well, at least to me, especially when, as others have said, Plant had a depth to his voice that this guy lacks. I can't even listen to that 'when the curtain falls' song, the screech is just too much for me.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    ckfoxtrot likes this.
  17. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Perhaps because Zep is so iconic?

18. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Member

Heard from someone in their hometown that their parents (all supposedly very wealthy) pooled together and hired one of the best talent agents in Hollywood and that’s why they received press from every single major media outlet from the word go. They’re essentially just a classic rock version of the Jonas Brothers.

pepedede, ckfoxtrot and Highway Man like this.
  19. hube

hube Member

And if you’re shy, find a few sites you like that cover a broad range of stuff, and follow them and their writers on Twitter. I’ve discovered tons of great stuff this way

20. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Both parents?
    Other than the drummer they're brothers.
    Maybe their parents supported them in many ways.
    Nothing wrong with that but there are vids on u tube from their "younger" days doing what I did and all my friends did.
    Playing music and trying to get better.

I think I remember too that their dad is a musician.