• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

See if you can beat all the new awesome gear I got in August

tuumbaq

Loooong story short, I dont think Ive ever made better acquisitions in such short period of time…

Started by trading my HX stomp against a Chase bliss automatone …seemed like a good deal for me ( that thing is completely nuts btw) but then I had to find a new reverb and delay since I didnt have the Line6 anymore.

Got a used ( looks brand new) Chase bliss dark world (absolutely gorgeous reverb) for 230$

Then came across a floor demo Boss DD 500 for 200$.Im all set now and essentially have a brand new cool board.

Couple of days went by and as Im in a restaurant chatting with a friend about my love for tweed amps, this older guy sitting next to us tells me he has a Tweed Bassman clone he used to play harmonica with and its just collecting dust in in house…Guy lives around the corner so I go and swing over his place, not thinking too much about it.Ive always wanted one of those but played a bunch of reissues and clones and they always sounded a bit woofy to me… Anyhow, I see the amp sitting there…Worn tweed, super cool looking and ooozing mojo…the guy said he had it built for himself some years ago when he was touring the country…All handwired with top quality components.I noticed one of the Jensens was replaced, he said no no, It never had 4 of of those in there and had it built that way…Apparently its a thing amongst tweed bassman lovers? Anyway, plugged it in, hit a chord and went holy ****ing **** , WHAT?! !This thing was INSANE! Big, bold, clear , warm , just the most beautiful sound ever…So I looked at him right away at asked , how much? He says 800$, I said “Ill give you 700$ now “ and I walked away with it….

Then , that same night ,Im on Facebook, and I come across a 2019, LesPaul R6 with a VOS finish with extreme checking ( for a 2019 guitar anyway) …At that point I have spent all the money I had on that amp, but those dont come up often on the used market where I live and Ive always wanted one…so, jokingly I messaged the guy and said, “beautiful guitar man, it should sell super quick! You wouldn’t trade that against a Two rock jet 35 would you“

I paid 1500$ for the amp YEARS ago , now valued at around 2/2200$ on reverb before all the fees and stuff….I dont use the amp, its kinda obscure, not a whole lot of people know what that amp is and it had been sitting on Reverb for well over a year now…Anyhow, guys comes back to me and says yeah, id be into that , plus 500$ on top …I dont have 500$ for this, but I tell him,” sorry I cant and wouldn’t really want to spend more on that guitar”.That checking sure doesnt look natural and it looks like it was damaged or purposely aged by a smuck …I offer him a sweet Hudson Broadcast that I no longer need now that I have the automatone ….The guys says , ok lets make the trade !???? SWEET! I now have a nice R6 !

So now Im playing this killer new guitar thru my new monster rig for hours every freaking day thinking my new tone is stupid good and wont get any better ever ….and then….a 1999 Vox AC30 TBX popped on the market place…I now have a few buck to spend so I hit the guy And offer him 800$…He says its too low, he wants to sell it with the THD hotPlate he has cause he has no use for it So I counter offered 800$ and Ill throw in a The Dude JRockett pedal….and we made a deal…The thd works supringly well at -4db and I wasn’t thinking much about it but Ill definitely be using it at home…

So…who else had a kick ass month of august? I think it was a really good month for my g.a.s and I made a few killer deals!

I have so many new knobs to tweak and play with to dial in my tone!

Last edited:

Defendant

Silver Supporting Member
You win …this time.

I had an opposite experience.

I got lessons on how to get better recorded guitar sounds with a really good player/engineer I know, and with his help, I now have my home recording setup working great and an Ox and Brunetti amp that’s surplus to requirements.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Ha you made out very well! Love the story. Love Gibson Historics. Love Tweeds. Love AC30s.

My August was not bad. I picked up a Martin Custom Shop 000-28 1937, which I traded a guitar towards.

NGD Thread here:

And in late July I picked up a new Collings I-35 LC:

I don't normally spend like this; I just started getting back to guitar shops for the first time since the pandemic hit.

So yeah, I "only" got one amazing acoustic. I'm doing okay. Enjoy that rig! :beer

Oh yeah and I added some Novaks to my Jaguar:

Last edited:

Texsunburst59

I've stumbled upon some really cool guitars this month, and I got them for AMAZING prices.

So this month I scored 3 wildly different,but very cool guitars.

1) '89 Korean Epiphone Vintage Sunburst Sheraton II (paid $277)

This one isn't stock,but has some really good quality upgrades.

1) Schaller Gold M6 mini tuners & Schaller TP-6 Quick change stop bar tailpiece with fine tune adjustment screws( removed by previous owner)

2) 80's Seymour Duncan Jazz (neck) & JB (bridge)

2) 2020 Fender Satin Black Artist Jim Root Sig. Jazzmaster
(Paid $831 )

JR Jazzmaster guitar specs:

• Series: Artist
  • Body Material: Mahogany
  • Body Finish: Satin Urethane
  • Neck: Maple, "C" Shape
  • Neck Finish: Satin Urethane
  • String Nut: Synthetic Bone, 1.685" (42.8mm)
  • Fingerboard: Ebony, 12" to 16" Compound Radius (304.8mm to 406.4mm)
  • Frets: 22, Jumbo
  • Scale Length: 25.5" (648mm)
  • Hardware: Black
  • Bridge: 6-Saddle American Standard Strings-Thru- Body Strat with
  • Block-Style Saddles
  • Tuning Machines: Deluxe Staggered Cast/Sealed Locking
  • Strings: Fender USA, NPS, (.010-.046 Gauges)
  • Pickup Configuration: H/H
  • Pickups: EMG 81 Humbucking with Brushed Chrome Cover (Bridge)
  • EMG 60 Humbucking with Brushed Chrome Cover (Neck)
  • Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2.
  • Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
  • Controls: Master Volume

Now this is "THE SCORE" of the bunch.

3) '77 Gibson Walnut RD Custom (paid $1100)

This guitar is a 44 yr. old "Time Capsule/Case Queen" with still functioning Moog circuitry.

tuumbaq

You win …this time.

I had an opposite experience.

I got lessons on how to get better recorded guitar sounds with a really good player/engineer I know, and with his help, I now have my home recording setup working great and an Ox and Brunetti amp that’s surplus to requirements.
Oh you did well brother!

Phil3

I mean... Not to brag, but I bought 2 blank cassette tapes and some deli meat this month.

So...

...:hide2

Yeah you win.

I love the gold top

scotty31

Silver Supporting Member
hard to beat the addition of an R6, tweed and a korg era AC30.
But i'll play :p

First up, a guitar i've been lusting for a good while. I've been on a Steve Stevens kick this year and really learning a lot about playing and writing copying his stuff.
What also piqued my interest was his signature Knaggs. So for a long while i've been gassing a Kenai. But i couldn't decide. Black to match my LP Custom, or white to compliment it....well, what about both. A Tuxedo Kenai. This thing sits up there with my Huber Orca as a proper well built axe. If good axes play like butter, this plays like silk.

Second, well when i say Huber Orca, i got that thing in the deal of a century. Part of it was my Lone Star Classic. I love that amp. Mesa nailed all things gorgeous tone in that amp. It sounds great clean & dirty. It loves pedals, but doesn't need them. The verb is to die for.
The 212 was a heavy amp though. And the Huber deal was too good to turn down. But i missed the amp the second i let it go. a year later, i have one back, but in head form. My back and ears are equally happy now :p

Third, and still in it's teething stages - a 1989 JCM800 1959....pure stock. no mods, holes, etc. i love the JCM 4 holers. i sold one for peanuts years and years ago. A bit of an indulgence this one. With a SLO, Park & Mark III covering a lot of the gain ground i'm still working out where it fits.

Oh, and i got a HX Stomp & UA Golden Reverberator (sold the latter)
the HX could mean the G System gets packed away.

Adam1578

I've stumbled upon some really cool guitars this month, and I got them for AMAZING prices.

So this month I scored 3 wildly different,but very cool guitars.

1) '89 Korean Epiphone Vintage Sunburst Sheraton II (paid $277)

This one isn't stock,but has some really good quality upgrades.

1) Schaller Gold M6 mini tuners & Schaller TP-6 Quick change stop bar tailpiece with fine tune adjustment screws( removed by previous owner)

2) 80's Seymour Duncan Jazz (neck) & JB (bridge)

2) 2020 Fender Satin Black Artist Jim Root Sig. Jazzmaster
(Paid $831 )

JR Jazzmaster guitar specs:

• Series: Artist
  • Body Material: Mahogany
  • Body Finish: Satin Urethane
  • Neck: Maple, "C" Shape
  • Neck Finish: Satin Urethane
  • String Nut: Synthetic Bone, 1.685" (42.8mm)
  • Fingerboard: Ebony, 12" to 16" Compound Radius (304.8mm to 406.4mm)
  • Frets: 22, Jumbo
  • Scale Length: 25.5" (648mm)
  • Hardware: Black
  • Bridge: 6-Saddle American Standard Strings-Thru- Body Strat with
  • Block-Style Saddles
  • Tuning Machines: Deluxe Staggered Cast/Sealed Locking
  • Strings: Fender USA, NPS, (.010-.046 Gauges)
  • Pickup Configuration: H/H
  • Pickups: EMG 81 Humbucking with Brushed Chrome Cover (Bridge)
  • EMG 60 Humbucking with Brushed Chrome Cover (Neck)
  • Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2.
  • Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
  • Controls: Master Volume

Now this is "THE SCORE" of the bunch.

3) '77 Gibson Walnut RD Custom (paid $1100)

This guitar is a 44 yr. old "Time Capsule/Case Queen" with still functioning Moog circuitry.

That jazzmaster! what a steal, I'm very jealous, I almost got a MIM JR Tele but the guy wanted more than what you paid

seward

Silver Supporting Member
Almost got a PRS S2 Standard 22, as well. That kind of month.

A thread like this should have a complementary thread where we show pics and talk about the stuff we sold during the same time period. I'm out one Jackson Pro Soloist (I kept the one with the maple cap).

Texsunburst59

That jazzmaster! what a steal, I'm very jealous, I almost got a MIM JR Tele but the guy wanted more than what you paid
Thanks Adam.

I'm not a Jim Root/ Slipknot/Stone Sour fan, and don't listen to any of their music.

I have heard some Slipknot and Stone Sour songs, and I know that JR is a monster guitar player.

This guitar in it's stock form, would never work for me sound wise.

The main reason I bought this guitar is because I think the guitar looks amazing with the Satin Black body contrasted with the Brushed Chrome humbuckers.

I also love the sleek minimal no frills look, and the fact that this guitar was a "Steal".

I intend to gut the guitar and replace the pickups and all the wiring harness.

I'm going to install a concentric "Stacked" Tone/volume pot, 5-way pickup selector, and a set of slightly Hot vintage PAF humbuckers.

This is how I'm likely going to have the 5-way pickup selector configured.

1) Bridge Humbucker
2) Bridge Humbucker and Neck split coil in parallel
3) Bridge Humbucker and Neck Humbucker
4) Bridge split coil & Neck split coil in parallel
5) Neck Humbucker

Texsunburst59

I have my fingers crossed on this one,but I might snag a USA Fender Artist Jim Root Signature Tele for a little less than the Jazzmaster.

The same place that I bought the JR Jazzmaster has the USA Artist JR Tele.

I'm in the process of selling a couple of guitars I don't use, to have the cash to negotiate the deal.

Here's a pic of what the USA Artist Tele looks like, but I'm sure your already know.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom