Seek Info for Alvarez Yairi Acoustic (DY-75)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Fineblend, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Fineblend

Fineblend Member

I had acquired over the weekend a 1981 Alvarez DY-75 Acoustic guitar and it is just a wonderful guitar. I had done a google search and came up with very little information, but to be expected. I pieced some information but nothing specific to this year and model. What I am mostly curious about is whether or not the back and sides are lamenated during this time period as I do know that the later 80's models do have laminated rosewood back and sides. It is hand signed as well and is really a unique guitar. Thanks for any info!

2. telemike

telemike Member

I have a '77 Yairi DY-55 which has laminated back and sides. It is my understanding that the majority of production from that era were the laminates. There used to be a dedicated website to Yairi guitars which would probably have the info that you are looking for, but I was unable to find it. They have a peculiar dating system that is hard to decipher. The website contained all of the info about deciphering the date codes and also covered all of the different models.

I really like my guitar and would never sell or trade it. It's not a fantastic guitar but it sounds good to me. I hope that you enjoy yours.

3. Fineblend

Fineblend Member

Yes, she is no Martin but for the price it was quite a unique find, I would never part with it. I would like to post pics, but I can not figure out how to! I'm going to search hard for this Yairi page. Thank you for the reply!

4. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

5. Fineblend

Fineblend Member

Thanks! I just signed up earlier and was coming back to this thread to relate my findings! A great discussion group, I made my first post and with hours I had all the info I needed!

6. teleman1952

teleman1952 Member

I have an '88 DY75DCB. I bought it brand new that year and I never knew that the back and sides where laminated. It is a real nice instrument, very balanced with a real nice neck and a cedar top. Also it is aging nicely.

[​IMG]

7. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have a 1983 DY63 I find very little info on . It a stereo version acoustic electric

8. solarbean

solarbean Supporting Member

I had a '90 DY38. Very nice stable guitar. Very balanced but not as loud and rich as a Martin dread. It had mahogany lam b/s with spruce top. Built heavy and strong. Overall... a very nice guitar for the money.

9. Plinko

Plinko Member

i have a DY75 dread electric acoustic that i bought new in the mid 90s i think, cant remember exactly what i paid but it was probably around $500. ive looked around and im not sure if the dy75s came with preamps, i think i vaguely recall the dealer saying he installed it himself, cause its a martin preamp and im not sure if yairi used those. anyway its a really nice guitar, sound is very rich and vibrant and the action is super low and easy to play. i think the fretboard, back and sides are all rosewood with a cedar top. anyone else have one like this? serial is 33065.

10. in a little row

in a little row Member

from the blue book 2005:

DY 75 - dreadnaught style, spruce top, round soundhole, wooden inlay bound body/rosette, tortoise
    pickguard, rosewood back/sides, mahogany neck, 14/20 fret rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlay,
    Direct Coupled rosewood bridge, rosewood veneer on bound peghead, 3 per side chrome tuners.
    Available in Natural finish. Mfd. 1991 to 1995.

11. in a little row

in a little row Member

same as the dy61 except the 63 has ovankol sides and back (laminate)

i love that series!