Seeking a bass just for DI purposes for project.

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by OhSoInsane, Feb 11, 2012.

  1. OhSoInsane

    OhSoInsane Member

    Messages:
    6
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2012
    Hey folks,

    So I am in the market for a bass. I don't have an amp and I don't really need one. I just need one for DI and im gonna be using vst plugs like the AMPEG SVX for simulating a good sound. It works well enough for my needs on the project.

    So a question for ya'll bass gurus, which one should I get? I asked a dude at the local music store, he recommended basses with active pickups, (he was pushing the bartolinis a bit as well, no they don't work on commission there). My budget is around 300 bucks, I don't care if its used (which it probably will be), its just for this project I have going (im primary a guitarist, please don't hate me for that lol).
     
  2. Kitsapbass

    Kitsapbass Member

    Messages:
    178
    Joined:
    May 25, 2007
    Location:
    the West Coast
    Can't really go wrong with a MIM P or J bass really, if you can find a used one. It really would depend on what it sounds like to you though. Even the VM Squiers are pretty good these days.
     
  3. OhSoInsane

    OhSoInsane Member

    Messages:
    6
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2012
    Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I am checking them out right now.

    I am getting a deal for an SR-405 for $350. Worth it?
     
  4. Endr_rpm

    Endr_rpm Member

    Messages:
    2,880
    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd stay away from actives for recording. P bass will fit about 90% of music made, and the other 10% doesn't really need to be played anyway.....

    I keed I keed :)
     
  5. Kitsapbass

    Kitsapbass Member

    Messages:
    178
    Joined:
    May 25, 2007
    Location:
    the West Coast
    Ibanez Soundgears (IMHO) can be a hit or miss. They make such a HUGE quantity of them that there is bound to be ones with issues - maybe they've all just ended up in Washington state is all...but if you are strictly looking for a recording bass, I would go with the tried and true design of a Fender...plus if (or when) you decide to sell it - unless it is just totally messed up (ie dragged behind a car, caught on fire) you should be able to get every penny you put into it.

    Devil's advocate though - the SR305 sells for about that around here on CL - and if you find a good one, they get a good sound for the money.
     

Share This Page