Seeking a bass just for DI purposes for project.

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by OhSoInsane, Feb 11, 2012.

1. OhSoInsane

OhSoInsane Member

Hey folks,

So I am in the market for a bass. I don't have an amp and I don't really need one. I just need one for DI and im gonna be using vst plugs like the AMPEG SVX for simulating a good sound. It works well enough for my needs on the project.

So a question for ya'll bass gurus, which one should I get? I asked a dude at the local music store, he recommended basses with active pickups, (he was pushing the bartolinis a bit as well, no they don't work on commission there). My budget is around 300 bucks, I don't care if its used (which it probably will be), its just for this project I have going (im primary a guitarist, please don't hate me for that lol).

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass Member

Can't really go wrong with a MIM P or J bass really, if you can find a used one. It really would depend on what it sounds like to you though. Even the VM Squiers are pretty good these days.

3. OhSoInsane

OhSoInsane Member

Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I am checking them out right now.

I am getting a deal for an SR-405 for $350. Worth it?

4. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

I'd stay away from actives for recording. P bass will fit about 90% of music made, and the other 10% doesn't really need to be played anyway.....

I keed I keed :)

5. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass Member

Ibanez Soundgears (IMHO) can be a hit or miss. They make such a HUGE quantity of them that there is bound to be ones with issues - maybe they've all just ended up in Washington state is all...but if you are strictly looking for a recording bass, I would go with the tried and true design of a Fender...plus if (or when) you decide to sell it - unless it is just totally messed up (ie dragged behind a car, caught on fire) you should be able to get every penny you put into it.

Devil's advocate though - the SR305 sells for about that around here on CL - and if you find a good one, they get a good sound for the money.