Seeking advice from the over 50 crowd.

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by vetplus40, Mar 1, 2020.

1. vetplus40

vetplus40 Member

I have been "noodling" around for five years and seem to be in a rut. I started playing again after failing miserably as a teenager ( lack of focus) because I discovered the Blues and love the slow blues licks of BB King and others. I figured working towards that goal would be feasible given my age and joint issues from years of working with my hands. I travel a lot so using a formal teacher would be difficult. I have also explored the on-line options, but there are so many teachers that its simply mind boggling.
    At this point, I am just in limbo and not sure what to do. As such, any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated. I dont want to quit, but playing is becoming more of a disappointing chore than a source of enjoyment.

Vaifan, mudster, sahhas and 2 others like this.
  2. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

I suggest a little less noodling and a lot more listening...To the blues. Not the endless repetitive, "Chicago"ish interpretations of a million bar bands, but the actual blues from the real deal players. It won't make tired old fingers any faster but it will give you some fresh insights into what the music is all about.

3. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I dont think an instuctor should be out of the question. There is no reason you couldnt do once a month lessons or fewer if need be.

I think a good instructor is priceless.

4. ieso

ieso Member

Learn some songs
    Write some songs
    Mel Bay Complete Method for Modern Guitar
    Learn some new techniques
    Buy a distortion pedal :D

BenoA, xarkon and Tone_Terrific like this.
  5. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I'm a folkie and blues player, and I agree with @Buck Private, look a lot wider than Chicago. For example, if you're an electric flatpicker, something like Roy Buchanan's "CC Rider", and maybe some slide, like Elmore James and Duane Allman.

6. RLD

RLD Member

Study your heroes, like everyone before you did.
    It ain't easy and takes time and practice.
    Play the blues...sing the blues...do both at the same time.

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

I'm over 50 but we're in different situations - I used to do gigs for a living and now I teach music and guitar for a living, but the only thing I want to say is that if nothing else, the past 50+ years have taught me the path forward in music is never a linear straight one. Sometimes the best way to maintain your relationship to music is to let it have up and down periods, frustrating and inspiring periods, as part of the whole process rather than try to measure up to an arbitrarily placed goal.

Best of luck to you

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  8. vetplus40

vetplus40 Member

Thanks for the reply. I have over 100 blues CD's that I listen to constantly. I "hear it", I just cant seem to do it......)

Tommy Biggs and Billy Van Beck like this.
  9. vetplus40

vetplus40 Member

The age reference was simply because "older" guys sometimes see things a bit differently than do younger ones. It was not meant an exclusionary.....) That said, I have a small fortune invested in books and videos.

heheheh likes this.
  10. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

I find that going to see live music very energizing.

11. vetplus40

vetplus40 Member

Thank you.....)
    I guess I am just frustrated at my lack of progress. I was a stellar trumpet player and pretty decent drummer. Unfortunately, none of that has translated into guitar. I am a natural "lefty", who plays "righty", and struggle with right hand coordination issues as well.
    If I can find a blues oriented teacher-who will teach me what I want- instead of what he wants, that may be the solution. Best of luck with your teaching. You sound like a good one.

LoadedGoat likes this.
  12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I'd suggest TrueFire's packages. I own several.

Guys like Jeff McErlain (electric blues) or David Hamburger (acoustic blues) can take you a long way down the path and make sure the basics are covered. With TF packages, you study at your own pace.

They have a sale going through the rest of the month if you are interested.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  13. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

If I can find a blues oriented teacher-who will teach me what I want- .[/QUOTE]

14. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

This may be THE thing to consider. In my younger days I may have blew off some great teachers because they didn't teach what I thought I needed to learn. In retrospect I should have listened to my ex,who was in Education. She said " hire the best teachers,and let them teach." Somehow KRosser's post (quote) was omitted. That's the one I refer to.

15. Mojo Shinn

Mojo Shinn Supporting Member

"Noodling" can be a lot of fun, but you can literally spend years noodling, and when it's time to play a song or join in on a blues jam, you could be lost or struggle. Getting an instructor and learning the basics of chord structure, scales, and theory ... while not as "fun" as noodling, will pay off big-time. Also, learn SONGS.... the whole thing - chords and leads...Maybe now you can noodle that pentatonic lick over something if you know the key, but being able to work out chords, alternate melodies, or play triads or other kinds of variations makes playing the blues (or anything else) much more fun. Most of all, enjoy the ride!

16. strat62

strat62 Member

"I discovered the Blues and love the slow blues licks of BB King and others...."

type in "BB King slow blues licks" in the youtube search bar.

find a guy playing some stuff that you can relate to and have at it until your fingers bleed (not really)

eventually, the licks will find their way onto your own playing

backing tracks are fun also

RodTruss and LoadedGoat like this.
  17. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

Check your area for a local blues society and blues jams. I haven't played out in years and I am gearing up to play at the guitar pull and jams at a local coffee house. Everybody has a different take on playing, sometimes I pickup one chord form from another player that sends me down a rabbit hole. Hope this helps.

18. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Pick up singing so that you are motivated to accompany yourself.
    And/or piano, where the blues patterns are so much more accessible and you can still sing along, maybe better.

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Sweet blues licks ...
    Larry Carlton once said that BB's been accused of playing the same type of solo in almost every song. However it's always one of the best solos you ever heard ...(paraphrased of course)

20. Lester Alvarez

Lester Alvarez Member

You mention "frequent travel"; two things come to mind 1) do you bring a guitar with you? Not having one at hand for long periods or most of the time, will I'm sorry to say will never allow you to progress.
    2) As for a good teacher and traveling frequently, you might be surprised at the impact that just having a lesson every 2,3 weeks or even one a month will do for you. I think few adults with a full time job, family, kids, mortgage etc, gets the full benefit of weekly lessons. Too many things can take away time you thought would be yours and ended up going to an unplanned event. Hell Ive had years when I was unemployed by choice and took lessons every two weeks. I was working on pieces and suites that were complex enough that going every week just wasn't enough time to accomplish my goal. Use the time that you have and use it well, don't piss it away watching Seinfeld reruns, practice as much as you can. Explain your situation to the best teacher you can find. Perhaps you go just once a month but if you get stuck and need to ask a question between in person meetings, you can email, call or maybe Skype for a short period, and bring him/her a nice bourbon, wine or whatever they like, now and then to repay the favor. I say do your best to find a good teacher who will work with your schedule, and show them the respect of really working on what they share with you.
    Good luck.

themannamedbones likes this.