Seeking advice from Traynor owners...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rich-96db, Jul 18, 2006.

1. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

I have a Traynor YCV40WR and I love the clean channel and love the blues leads it's capable of producing at lower volumes. However, I'm disappointed in the overdrive at low volumes (anything 2 or under on the volume knob).

Here's a few questions:

(1) I know that a number of people have retubed with JJs. Has this helped the overdrive at lower volumes?

(2) Anyone using a power soak? If so, what brand and how has it helped or hindered your tone.

(3) Has anyone resorted to using a distortion pedal at lower volumes? If so, what are you using and what have been the results.

Thanks,

Rich

2. jhc

jhc Senior Member

I own this amp, and like you, don't really love the OD at real low volumes. I retubed with JJs and this definitely improves things - a good investment IMO. But if I'm playing at low volumes (under 2), more often than not I'll use a Lovepedal Cot50 into the clean channel. Once I can get the volume at 3 or higher, I tend to go back to amp gain (though this depends heavily on the kind of music I'm playing - a lot of times i'll use the lead channel for a "just dirty" sound, add the Cot50 for full on crunch, and then use a boost pedal or the built in amp boost for leads)

I've also been thinking about attenuators. Another guy with this amp on another guitar forum bought a Hotplate and says it's the best thing he ever did tone wise.

Cheers
    John

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I have the YVC20WR, greenback, full JJ's tubes, I just got the amp. I found medium gain settings, set about half way up, then I use a Keeley Mod'ed Ultra DS-1 to boost it. if I want singing sustain I kick on the Keeley compressor. its OK, still lacking bass. although I havent found quite what I want yet!

But here is a clip I just did, (warning, again its really bad playing), but its the overdrive channel at VERY LOW volume.

preamp gain 6-7, MV at .5 or less! its very low! I do have the ds-1 running , dd6 delay, and keeley compressor. this is what I am getting. you can hear the buzz, but I can live with that , at least I am getting some tone. mids all the way up, bass all the way up, treble almost off! at some points you can hear the strings buzz on the neck ( not coming through amp), and you can hear the toggle switch when I flip it. ya its recorded that low. I was behind the mic a few feet playing ( hacking away that is! haha) so I am curious to know if your getting something like this.. or??

http://www.guitarstudio.tv/clips/traynoryvc20wrlowvol.mp3

I hope my playing doesn hurt anyones ears. I will apologize in advance! :)

4. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

Hacksaw,

The distortion your getting sounded pretty good. I've been using an old Butler Tube Works pedal and it seems to be clipping at the bass end. I think it needs a new tube. I may check into the modified DS-1 that you're using. Thanks,

Rich

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

AHAH I just cranked up my speakers to listen to it, ( couldnt late last night) and lots of string buzzin! yuk! haha Ok that was recorded really low!

I glad it helped, I dont know how much different this amp is from your 40 model.

6. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

Hacksaw,

There's a few differences:
    • The 40w has separate tone controls for each channel and a presence control
    • The 40w has a Vintage 30 while the 20w has a Greenback
    • oh, yeah and 20 watts
    Rich

7. fakeox

fakeox Member

Sounds like You need a 5 watt amp.

8. Quantumphysics

Quantumphysics Member

I had JJ's in the power section - too grainy - tonight switched to some 6L6EH's - and wow - a whole different amp. I do have JJ's in V1 and V2 - V3 I kept stock. It sounds great (with a strat) with the built in V30 - but into a 2X12 Greenback it is heaven - I will purchase a second amp for backup.

9. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack someone else's thread, but I have a few questions concerning this amp.

I was only able to try a YCV40WR for a short period at low volumes, and was quite impressed. I've owned a YCV 20 which I thought was sterile, lacking any sort of real character, and I once rented a YCV 40T, which is the 2x10 version of the YCV40. Again, I found the amp lacked any sort of nice qualitites.

What I really hated about these amps was that the treble went from muddy to extremely bright at around 4, which is something I hate. I really like a smooth, almost transparent top end, without any shrill and sharp overtones, so my question is this:

Does the YCV40WR with the Vintage 30 speaker mellow out these high end frequencies?

At low volumes, it seemed to be less bright then its siblings, but I would like to know if this is general of all YCV40WR's?

For those that own this amp, would you say that its not bright at all, and that the midrange is very present? (something which I really like)

I'm hoping to try it again, but the amp has to have a good midrange honk, very well-rounded tone, with smooth top end.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Info greatly appreciated.....

eksfiles.

10. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

Sounds like JHC and I use our YCV's in almost exactly the same way.

I agree that the gain channel on YCV40WR really doesn't come alive until about 3 or more on the volume, and that's just a bit much for home practicing.

So, for bedroom levels, I do indeed prefer to use pedals, and in my experience they sound great through the clean channel. I would definitely recommend trying that approach.

Note that you probably want the bright switch off when using gain pedals, to avoid fizzyness (I rarely use the bright switch in any case).

For home, I use a Boss Blues Driver for lower-gain stuff, and a Barber Direct Drive SS for higher gain stuff. Stacking the two works great for a little more over-the-top gain level.

My only problem when using this amp for gigs is deciding whether to use the pedals or the gain channel--both sound great. Often I'll use the gain channel for bluesy breakup in place of the Blues Driver, but still use the Barber DD for higher gain stuff.

As for the brightness, I don't have any problem dialing in the appropriate level. Both the Treble and Mid controls (on both channels) work smoothly and usefully.

As noted above, be careful with the bright switch--I only find it useful in rare situations.

11. Allthumbs56

Allthumbs56 Member

I've got a YCV40 with a G12H30 in it, 12ax7EH's and SED Winged "C" 6L6's. I was always trying to tame the brightness and finally discovered that it's best to leave the treble at 9 oclock (or even a bit less) and use the presence to get the upper end where I wanted it (gawd knows why they included a bright switch). I seldom used the drive channel as I found that the tone controls were very limited on that channel - I always used the clean with pedals, which worked quite well. I've gigged with it for about 4 years.

By the way, the tube and speaker change made quite a difference to both channels. I could use the drive channel more I suppose but I kinda like all the options I have with my pedalboard.

Recently I picked up a Mesa DC-5 which I think is in a different ballpark altogether but I still have the Traynor and plan on using it at home and for backup. For the money it is still one of the best values out there.

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

No tube amp is going to sound good on 2 - period. You could get an attenuator, or a solid state amp. The OD pedal is probably the easiest. I recommend a Bad Monkey. Sounds great through my YCV 40T.

13. Quantumphysics

Quantumphysics Member

The things I always remember when auditioning am amp is -

1) It takes a good 20 hard driving hours to break in the speaker.

2) Different types of tubes/biasing (no biasing on this model) can seriuosly chagne the behavior of the amp.

3) And yes - possibly a 1 watt tube can be in it's sweet spot on 2.

4) It usually takes some time to dial in the exact sound that I'm looking for - depending on what volume I need.

5) And all tube amps sound a little different. (sometimes the same amp on any given day - lol)

Anyway - with a JJ in V1 - it's seems to darken this amp a liitle. I have the same problems as the other guy regarding wether to use a pedal for dirt or the dirt channel (not a bad problem - on my old Hot Rod Deluxe - there was no choice - clean channel and pedal) BTW - take a look at the transformers in this amp - serious stuff for 6 bucks. Try this - JJ 12AX-7 in V1 and V2 (stock V3 - and 2 6L6EH's - carnk the clean channel (no pedals) half way - cut the bass to 9am - plug in a strat roll back the tone to 7 - and put the amp a foot from a wall - close your eyes and you kind of have the deluxe reverb sound (that I returned to GC after 3 of the dying fresh out of the box) Like my DSL50 (tweaked - out of the box they sound like crap) I need no pedals - just plug and play.

14. reverendfrankie

reverendfrankie Supporting Member

Rich, I finally purchased a Traynor YCV40 - the black one after renting my way through the modern Traynor series (and purchasing a YCV80Q for my church) and have begun to get my amp right where i like it. (Long & McQuade in Canada are excellent and affordable for rentals)

First - I did the full JJ retube (from Bob @ Eurotubes - prompt, excellent service) - improved quite a bit

Second - subbed in a Mullard 12AU7 (that i pulled from a throw-away oscilloscope) in V3 (the phase inverter) - really tamed the drive channel and removed a lot of the buzziness

Third - I swapped out the budget Celestion for and Eminence Red Fang Speaker - really chimey, no ice-pick (I play a Strat with 11's). But it's taken at least 2 weeks to break in.

Fourth - I'm swapping in other preamp tubes (All from Doug's tubes - again, great service) - the new Tung-Sol 12Ax7 (V2)reissue is actually really nice - and a NOS JAN Philips 12AX7WA (V1). Tube choice makes a huge difference - to my ears anyways. Now the amp is articulate - I can hear individual strings in a distorted power chord - and sweet - without icepick.

Fifth - using heavier gauge strings on my American Series Strat (11-46) and dropping the pickups really improved the tone

Finally - This all seems to have taken time - but the exploration has been really rewarding.

Hope this helps,
    Frank