Seeking Advice On Acoustic Guitar Purchase

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Chevron, May 14, 2019.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Chevron

Chevron Member

I really like the Martin Retros (Monels) and it's surprising how little time they need to break in, if any in fact.

One thing I really like about this guitar is that it has a really wide dynamic range, but it is also controlled across the strings - on my other acoustics you have to focus on your playing dynamics on the higher strings to have notes jump out too much or sound uneven. The round and full sound of this D-18 makes it easier to play.

3. Chevron

Chevron Member

Thanks Rod :) It is a very cool guitar and growing on me more and more.

The wider nut width suits me very well too, it feels like there is more space to get your fingers in when finger picking.

Rod likes this.
  4. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Great choice; the 14-fret D-18 has been in continuous production since 1934 for a very good reason; it's simply a wonderful, understated and great sounding iconic instrument. Let us know your impressions when it arrives.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Rod likes this.
  5. Chevron

Chevron Member

Thanks, already written about the guitar in post #18 with some photos and clips

6. Mystix

Mystix Silver Supporting Member

Very nice!
    Perfect shade top, vintage style tuners (waverly's?), great sounding woodiness - what's not to love?

Nice playing - I would have destroyed the recording with finger squeaks/slides, booming volume, pick scratches -lol

very nice guitar - congrats!

Chevron likes this.
  7. McStrats

McStrats Member

Gorgeous looking and sounding guitar. Well played too!

Chevron and Rod like this.
  8. runningman

runningman Member

is that a brand-new guitar?

if so, keep in mind that it will improve significantly with age, especially if you play it often.

Martin is making exceptional guitars these days, and probably more consistently than ever. Companies like Taylor forced them to step up their game, and they've really risen to the challenge.

Enjoy that beauty in good health!

Rod likes this.
  9. Rod

well said @runningman ... the newer Martins are tremendous guitars.... my 000C-16R is extraordinary. My GP X series is fantastic for a $500 guitar that will never warp and made of all recycled materials ....Love to have a D-18 someday as well...
    Btw, I’m column B all the way:)

10. runningman

runningman Member

I have been jonesing for a slope shoulder dread, and I think the new Martin DSS-17 might be the one...

[​IMG]

11. Rod

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019 at 12:21 PM
  12. Chevron

Chevron Member

Thanks! Yes it is brand new and sorry for the tardy reply, I've been busy playing this D-18 :D Actually no joke I have paying playing this guitar to death, and after putting on some Martin Monet strings and playing it a bunch it just seems to get better and better. Of course it could just be me becoming more accustomed to it - but it does seem that it is 'bedding' in or opening up. Either way it's a real gem to play.

At first I was a little scared of the low end, but now I love it. It seems to resonate my whole chest when I play in the lower registers. It can get congested when recording in the low end, but that might be the microphone I am using not being so good at capturing note separation so well in the low end. It takes a little skill in the dynamic department but it also makes for a wide range of dynamic expression. What ever the frig that means lol

It also holds tuning extremely well, and I am very impressed with the build quality. It's quite a wide neck but I find even with my smaller hands it is very comfortable. Especially for finger picking stuff, and my other acoustics feel a little cramped by comparison and it takes me a little while to adjust.

13. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Three words. Chinese, Guild and Blueridge. They will amaze you.:)