Seeking blessing from the experts - my proposed amateur recording equipment list

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by backdrifter, Dec 17, 2009.

1. backdrifter

backdrifter Supporting Member

OK, I've done some research and reading, and lots of thinking, and I'm finally tired of thinking and just want to start doing some amateur home recording. Here's what I think I've decided on:

Computer I'll be using (already have): Apple MacBook (1st generation)

Software: I'll start with the latest version of GarageBand, since I can get it for free from my wife's new Apple MacBook. If I find reason to, I may purchase
    Reaper instead.

Audio interface: M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Mic: Shure SM57

Monitors: KRK Rokit Powered 5 G2

This proposed setup will bring my total right around $600, which is about what I'm willing to invest. I'm willing to upgrade down the road when necessary, but since I tend to be kind of fickle, I want to be sure that this is something I will enjoy before spending more money.

So, do you see any problems with my chosen assortment of equipment? Any known problems using GarageBand with the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, or any other similar issues?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated. I'm getting antsy and would like to purchase soon. I have 16 days off around Christmas and want to use that time to learn the ins and outs and start making some music!

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

The gear is fine. Don't think about gear, think about what you want to record!

3. backdrifter

Thanks Kludge - I couldn't agree more. I'm really not too much of a gear hound (beyond guitars, that is - I definitely have a problem when it comes to guitars), but I want to be sure that my proposed set up will work and interact well together. I've heard stories of certain computers not agreeing with certain sofware (I shouldn't have that problem with a MacBook and GarageBand), certain audio interfaces not agreeing with certain software.... that kind of thing. I just want to make sure that my equipment will work well together. I want to invest quite a bit of time into this, and would like that time to be spent actually recording and learning, not trying to fix problems.

Thanks!

4. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Looks good - if your Mac is intel-based, you'll be fine.

5. backdrifter

Thanks Gregory - yep, 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo. Can't wait to get started!

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

You will be fine with that rig. It may be all you ever need.

You can upgrade a studio rig forever, and never get "there". Or you can just get some reasonable stuff, and get going. Getting going is the thing.

7. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    I bless your list.

8. backdrifter

Thank you gentlemen, that's all I needed!