Seeking: Clean, Warm, Fendery style amp with Reverb and Tremolo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesbreaker59, Mar 22, 2015.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Ok, so I have tweed sounds covered all day long, 4 Victorias. I love the voice of a tweed amp, it just works so well with so many guitars and they sit so nice in a mix. Never too bright like BF and SF Fenders tend to be. But I also love Fender reverb and brownface style tremolo. So for years I've been hauling a Bassman, a modded Fender tank, and a Swamp Thang tremolo.

I'm presently working up material with a large traditional blues and Stax style R&B group. Drummer is moderately loud, bassist is old school and holds down the low end (he is also going to play 2nd guitar with a strat and 64 Super Reverb), keys are a real Leslie and B3 and harmonica uses a Tweed vibrolux. Singer is a powerhouse.

It seems to me that a smaller footprint and a more compact rig would be nice. I was thinking about a Carr Rambler, but I've read several folks saying they ran out of clean headroom. Clips sure sounded awfully nice.

I'd like warm, fat cleans (tweedy really) and 3 knob or BF style reverb and brownface tremolo. Around 40-50 watts, mostly clean and lightweight. Guitars will be 335, Tele and R4 LP.

Thoughts? Has anyone compared the headroom of a Rambler to like a Tweed Bandmaster or Tweed Super?

2. leighianson

leighianson Supporting Member

The rambler is one beautiful warm sounding amp. I haven't run out of headroom, but I suppose "a loud band" is very subjective. It has wonderful verb and trem but it's not brownface trem as far as I know. I've never played a brownface fender but I don't think there are many amps currently in production that do that sort of trem. I understand the allure though, that harmonic tremolo is the only reason I currently still have my Flint.

3. the tourist

the tourist Member

Pretty much agree with all of this.

It definitely has enought headroom for the band I play in, but who knows with yours. Any way you can find one to try?

4. bluesbreaker59

Nope, no dealers in the state and I've never heard or seen one around here.

5. bluesbreaker59

6. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

"Seeking: Clean, Warm, Fendery style amp with Reverb and Tremolo"

So why not just get a..... Fender??

Pretty sure Fender makes some Fendery style amps with reverb and tremolo

7. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

Tone King Sky King.

8. the tourist

the tourist Member

Hmm. Unfortunately I can't help you definitively. If you're worried about headroom and interested in Carr, the Impala might be better for you. Unfortunately, it doesn't have trem. You'd need a pedal for that....

9. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Seriously, how can you not just get a Fender RI or a refurbed Fender original. I have a 64 Fender Princeton reverb, and for the bar gigs I play a Fender 65 RI Deluxe Reverb. I don't know how it get's much better. I've been at this abyss for 40 years. (But my alter ego loves old Mesa Boogies, but that is a whole different tone.)

10. teleman55

teleman55 Member

This. Then use the tone controls. Throw away preconceived notions.

11. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

Carr Rambler or Victoria Victoriette/Victoriluxe would be my choices.

12. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

i've always been a big fan of the classic big clean fender sound w/ reverb and trem as you describe. i alway looked for it via boutique avenues, but lately have come to absolutely adore the current fender crop. i've been travelling a fair bit the past few weeks-- from coast to coast, north to south, country to country-- and trying dozens of guitars at various shops, each time through a current production fender tube amp; i'll be honest, i've been absolutely smitten by them. they all had the sound i-- and i think you-- love. don't discredit fender 'cause it's a big corporate entity lacking soul now- keep in mind they did it first and all the boutiques are just copying them (even if they claim it's an improvement).

13. One Chord Wonder

One Chord Wonder Member

Light weight rules out any Fender in the 40-50 watt catagory.

Have you tried a Working Dog?

14. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Aren't you going to tell us the amp you really want, so we can tell you to buy it? :eek:

But if you like Victorias, he has some with reverb...

15. Lazy

Lazy Member

willy k has got it right.
    Tone King - Sky King.

16. Smashies

Smashies Supporting Member

I tend to agree with the "try Fender first" avenue, BUT if you do so and they don't deliver for you, don't discount Milkman Amps. Again, though, if you can at least try out some RI Fenders or used originals, I highly encourage you to do that first.

17. bluesbreaker59

I like the concept of a Deluxe Reverb, but here is my experience after owning 4 reissues, yes 4 DRRI's. Cleans are really nice, especially with a new speaker for Bakersfield style country. More of a bright, spiked clean with Fender guitars.

The negatives: overdriven its raspy and harsh, trem is awful, reverb is marginal at best, picky about overdrive pedals, not really warm cleans

Before everyone dog pile and say "re-bias" and use NOS tubes, been there, done that. This still doesn't solve the awful tremolo and the reverb is still like an on/off switch.

18. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

Brown Concert

Not light... but with alnicos it's not as heavy as you think either. The one I had was probably a good 15 lbs lighter than my SC30.

Barring that, maybe a Brown Bandmaster in a 2x10 or 3x10 aftermarket cab, weber sig P10s.

Run some old TS USA 5881s in the amp. Either option is making me drool just thinking about it...

edit: oops! sorry, I forgot you wanted reverb...

19. bluesbreaker59

Yep I like your suggestion, however I would prefer reverb to be built into the amplifier.

On paper the fender Vibro King looks outstanding. But after borrowing a couple the wait is just as bad as a Twin Reverb.