Seeking feedback on an appraisal - vintage fender pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tonedrip, Aug 27, 2015.

1. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

I recently had an appraisal done through a well known shop in Vegas that advertises this service. They do it for a reasonable fee so I shipped them a vintage set of strat pickups that I got from a buddy and I wish to sell . He had a working relationship with Peter Florence who rewound and balanced them for him and said they were from the early 60s (2 of them needed a rewind) .

They sound absolutely incredible . The shop in Vegas confirmed they were indeed vintage fender strat pups from the early 60s , rewound and in perfect working order. They appraised the value at $500 for the set .

I have seen evidence of much higher prices on rewound pickups from this era on line, just curious what y'all think . The shop knew I was interested in selling them ,,,, in the back of my mind I wonder if that was part of the appraisal strategy . ;) Maybe not ....

2. 55GibsonLPJR

55GibsonLPJR Member

Need pictures to really tell...but that being said, post them on Ebay (or reverb) for an opening bid of $500 no reserve and let them fly if you want to sell them.

3. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

thanks, I will eventually advertise and sell , but I thought the appraisal might be low at $500 .... looking for opinions on that

4. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

Two rewound and 1 original? $500 seems right on the money to me.

5. 335guy

335guy Member

A rewind will de-value them by approx 50%, at least, regardless of who the re-winder is or how good they sound. Why? Folks want originals. Re-winds will be much harder to sell. Some will look at them as basically "new" pickups. Many feel the mojo is in the original wiring.

An case in point. I had a 1965 pre-T-top Gibson Humbucking pickup in very good condition with the original cover and the full length lead. These model and year pickups sell for $600 ea all the time on Ebay. The downside of mine was one coil had shorted out and could not be repaired without it being rewound. I sent it to a renowned pickup winder, who used the proper wire type and repaired it to original condition. I put it on Ebay and fully disclosed one coil had been rewound. I eventually sold it for $300, 50% of what un-repaired ones sell for.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  6. slowerhand

slowerhand Supporting Member

I agree with 335guy, but 500 is way low. I would say easily 500 for the original and 250 each of the other 2, so that's 1,000. The real issue is in verifying that they are what they are though. It doesn't matter that the OP knows them to be real, the buyer has to trust this, and pickups are easy to fake.

FWIW, I paid 2,200 for an unmolested 1956 Strat set, but a big part of it was that I trusted the seller.

7. 335guy

335guy Member

Yeah, I looked on Ebay and saw a completed sale for a single 61 pickup that went for over $800. There were some 65's that sold for for a bit over $100. So maybe the best thing for the OP is to sell the original separately. He could use some documentation of it's age and authenticity.